Can a double center channel work?

Wrinkles

I am prone to questions that may have obvious answers, but being unsure in the HT world I must ask.

I have basically a 3.1 system. LaScalla fronts, a sorry sub and the TV's stereo speakers as center channel.

LaScallas are about 12 feet apart centerline to centerline.

I want to acquire a pair of Heresies and place on either side of the 32 inch TV which would put them about 4 feet center to center from each LaScalla and approximately 5 feet center to center for the Heresies. To me this would not be a real "center channel" as far as a single speaker is concerned, but due to the Heresy separation and listening distance from the TV would it react as a single center speaker or mix the fequencies up too much to be an improvement?

I have thought of looking for a Belle, but I think it would raise the TV above our viewing comfort zone.

We sit about 11 feet back from the TV.

The electronics are below the TV in the stand. TV weighs about 135 lbs.

Thanks for any comments and direction.

Wrinkles

Exactly how is everything connected at the moment? It is generally not a good idea to run external speakers such as through a receiver and the tv speakers through the tv at the same time, as you will be getting frequency/harmonic interferences. The bottom line is to use one center and run everything through the same processing source (turn those tv speakers off).

I am running Chorus mains and and dual Heresy II's as my center channel, powered by a Carver 806x external amplifier (6 x 130) and splitting the signal to two of the 6 channels. IMO I think it sounds great. I wouldn't suggest running two different peakers for a center though. I am in the process of a slight remodel but I will post some pictures when I am finished. I have seen several HT setups running dual speakers for centers and thought they sounded good, thats why I decided to do the same.

Although, if I ever come across a single Chorus, I will most likely replace the dual Heresy setup and move them to side surrounds.

~ Ross

It's good that the heresies are right next to each other for the purpose, rather than separated. I still fail to see any real point behind using two. The best set up if you were running two would be to stack one on top of the other inverted to create a d'appolito array, avoiding any unwanted effects of side by side.

(Or of course tweeter to tweeter if on their sides)

• Moderators

Why not use the Heresy's for rear's and set you receiver to phantom or no center channel, toe in the LaScalas to get the sound centered on the tv.

Just a thought........no center is better than tv speakers or a really bad center. imo

Thanks everybody for the comments, recommendations and directions on what you have done or would do in my situation.

You see, I had just seen a pair of the Heresey H1 speakers on Craigslist for $300 and started thinking about my HT setup that needs an improvement. Presently, I do not have any Heresies.

The LaScallas are powered off of a Dared 5 watt integrated tube amp with the speaker outputs also going to the Subwoofer inputs. So no HT receiver is being used.

I was thinking about the convergence of sound at the distance of approximately 11 feet from where the Hersey locations would be and wondering if or how they would blend. I am familiar with the comb filtering situation when they are side by side, only have never heard when the convergence does not become an issue based on the two speaker situation I am inquiring about. I need to read up more on the combing effect to answer this, if it is covered.

I had forgotten about the unshielded aspect of the older Heritage speakers, This kinda kills the idea if I were to D’Apollito line array style them as the higher Heresy would be along the side the CRT. Any ideas how far this magnetism reaches and can still affect a CRT?

The LaScallas are presently toed in and work very well that way making up the center or at least a nice center feel, at least if you are sitting in the very center. Hanging out to the extreme ends of the sofa gives you a strong left or right presentation even utilizing the TV’s speakers.

Does a single center that is to the left or right of the TV and not directly underneath the CRT become aurally obvious to the viewer that it is not directly under the TV?

I have no rear speakers presently in the setup. I need a HT receiver before either hooking up either another pair of LaScallas or a pair of Frazier Dixielanders. Either is very dependent on whether the required real estate can handle it.

One step at a time. It is obvious I must not rush into these things.

Thanks again,

Your experience and knowledge is very appreciated.

Wrinkles

The shielding issue will depend on your circumstances and you will know fairly immediately. Definitely a foot or less will show the problem. A center which has no shielding issues to the immediate side of the screen is not too bad at all especially if you can center it as much as possible, i.e. offset the screen to one side so the center speaker is not too close to the right or left main.