How close are your speakers?

opteron44

My room is problematic: 9w x 18l x 7.h5 with me sitting back against one of the short walls.

Originally, my front speakers were placed even with the front of the TV - about 14' away from my couch.

It was suggested that I move them closer and, when I got them 7' away, the soundstage improved dramatically. Depending on the recording, I really have an almost 3 dimensional performing space behind the front plane of the speakers. (Of course, I am fortunate that my wife does not object to their placement smack in the middle of the room!)

So, I'm curious, where do you all have your front speakers for 2 channel listening. (I should add that my HT experience did not materially suffer, probably because of the center channel binding the sounds together).

Thanks.

System: Sony WEGA 32FS13, Rotel CD855 CD Player, Oppo BDP-80 Blu-Ray / DVD Player, NAD T-163 pre/pro, Front /Center Amp: Emotiva XPA-3, Rear Amp: Emotiva UPA-2, Front Speakers: Klipsch KG-4 (1986), Rear Speakers: Acculine A-1 (2009), Center Speaker: Emotiva ERM-1(2009), Sub: Dali S 1.2 (2008)

My La Scalas are 10.5'® and 12'(l) from my listening postion and 10' apart from each other. I do adjust the balance a little to the left speaker, since it is farther away from my listening position. It seems to work fine.

Dennie

My La Scalas are 7' 6" apart (center to center) and just under 12' from my ears to the face of the speakers. They are very symetrical in terms of my seating position being centered between the speakers. I'd like to have more distance between them but the layout of my living room dictates their positions.

Here's what the setup looks like from just to the right side of the "main" listening position:

Posted Image

Just took a measurement, 6' from inside to inside and 9' to face of speakers from sitting position, speakers are angled. Room in-between the speakers for the equipment and vinyl crates. Other 2 setups are in bedrooms and no real sitting situations.

James

• Moderators

That's Funny! Big Smile

Yes just like your line I just read for the first time, funny.

" Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
- Marcus Brigstocke"

That's Funny! Big Smile

Yes just like your line I just read for the first time, funny.

" Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
- Marcus Brigstocke"

........and Thank Goodness, Right? LOL I had many more hours on "Defender" than I did on "Pac Man" and I seem "fine". [:S]

Now, where did that pill go that I just dropped! Oh, there it is! [;)]

Dennie

I have K horn fronts 12 feet apart- cornwall surrounds 3 feet from my listening chair- Lascalla center 8 feet from listening chair- Industrial lascal rears 12 feet apart and about 10 feet behind me. All lascalas are on 18" risers-biult from felt- concrete block and plywood- to achieve universal horn height ( which made a hellofa difference). The room is 14 x 25 crammed full of stuff- definitely not the best of listening circumstances- But the overkill power of the system overcomes the negatives and makes it sound like a pair of headphones in HT and 2 channel.

IMHO- dont be afraid to put big speakers close together in a smaller room-as for the WAF factor- the do eventually get over it[6]

My listening room is 28 FT x 20 FT with a cathedral ceiling that ranges from 8-10 FT.

The Khorns are in the corners along one of the long walls.
The LaScalas are 4 FT from the corners on the opposite wall (to accommodate doorways).
The center channel is dead center in-between the Khorns.

The sweet spot is . . .