Rockin n rollin in SoCal

J.4knee

Sound like you were very lucky there J. Upgraded to 7.2!

And they said it originally was 20 miles deep and now they are saying more like 6.

We had a 2 second follow up about an hour later. I saw on FB a friend of mine was in an elevator when it hit [:|]

This is the largest of a cluster of quakes in this region, so far. I have not heard, was this on the San Andreas or some collateral fault line? If it is on the big'N I'd be a wee concerned about a subsequent major rupture northwards. As I recall the section of the San Andreas in the south of Calif. has been gaining strain for quite awhile.

so with a quake like that, did you notice new cracks in your foundation, or does the house literally shake as one piece? Been to Southern California a bunch of times, I remember my Brother in-laws face as I asked him why his hot water heater was braced and strapped to the wall. Makes the 8 feet of snow we got this winter seem tame.

so with a quake like that, did you notice new cracks in your foundation, or does the house literally shake as one piece? Been to Southern California a bunch of times, I remember my Brother in-laws face as I asked him why his hot water heater was braced and strapped to the wall. Makes the 8 feet of snow we got this winter seem tame.

It's funny how the rest of the country thinks earthquakes are so bad here in Southern California when there is much worse in almost every part of the world. I have lived here all my life and the only damage I have ever personally seen was on the news. My subwoofer can almost replicate the most common earthquake experience. Usually an earthquake is about 10 - 20 seconds of getting startled and just seeing if it may get worse and this only generally happens once every few years. Sometimes it's 5-10 years without even feeling a quake and otherwise maybe one or two small quakes every few years.

If we even once got a 8 ft of snow in this area here where it never snows at all, there would be absolute chaos. Hell the rain usually causes far more problems than an earthquake.

I've been through several SoCal quakes, all of them from 57 to 2004. If you're close they are like being in an unexpected car wreck. Suddenly you are working hard to remain standing (almost said 'stay erect'). You get to a doorway and hang-on. Further away and they can be like a high quality vibrating bed. But there are rollers, like being on a big ocean going vessel in moderate seas. The oddest was an aftershock of the Whittier quake. I was in one of those buildings on rollers. That felt really strange.

The oddest was an aftershock of the Whittier quake. I was in one of those buildings on rollers. That felt really strange.

In a trailer park? Wink

It was St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange. Hard to describe. It was like the whole building was on a bowl of Jello, and we all know, there's always room for Jello.

If we even once got a 8 ft of snow in this area here where it never snows at all, there would be absolute chaos. Hell the rain usually causes far more problems than an earthquake.

Hi Rich, that was 8 feet in one winter season. Around here as little as 6 inches causes major problems (commutes, car crashes, etc), but my house would not fall down or be damaged typically. Really usually (unless a car wreck) the worse problem, is what Garymd spoke about in his thread regarding damaged trees and shrubs. I have a few from this season. The worst snow was 3+feet in a 24 hour time period, Thankfully I was not stuck out in it. Southern California has some very pretty areas and great weather.

Hi Rich, that was 8 feet in one winter season. Around here as little as 6 inches causes major problems (commutes, car crashes, etc), but my house would not fall down or be damaged typically. Really usually (unless a car wreck) the worse problem, is what Garymd spoke about in his thread regarding damaged trees and shrubs. I have a few from this season. The worst snow was 3+feet in a 24 hour time period, Thankfully I was not stuck out in it. Southern California has some very pretty areas and great weather.

When we get a chance of 1/4 inch of rain here all the TV news are on STORM WATCH, it causes commute problems, car crashes etc.

I've lived in Southern California all my life, so that would be every earthquake here since 1958. I've never seen earthquake damage of any kind except on the TV news and it is rare that an earthquake does much beyond knocking some groceries off a shelf in a market somewhere and it gets shown on the news. Maybe every 10 years or so an earthquake may do some real damage and then it is usually only to a couple of structures damaged, usually poorly built near the epicenter of the quake. There's just always the talk that the big one will come, otherwise earthquakes here are pretty seldom and normally harmless, the rain has caused far more damage here than earthquakes, but I don't know anyone who has had any damage by either.

I've been out here for the better part of the last 20 years and have only felt maybe 4 or 5 tremors. I experienced many more and much stronger ones during the 7 1/2 years I was in Japan. But here is an amusing tale about our So Cal quakes. About 18 years ago a good freind andf coworker was out here from VA to work with me and he brought his kids with him for a mini vacation during the summer. He took them to Sea Wolrd, SD Zoo, SD Wild Animal Park, the beaches, Old Town basically all of the tourisity things. He dropped quite a bit of cash on their So Cal adventure. I guess it was about the third or fourth day they were here we had a small tremor. Of all the things they did and saw the only thing they bragged about when they got back was the expeience they got for free - the quake! He said they were watching the weather channel on the hotel TV constantly after the tremor hoping for another

Been through quite a few of them. Can't recall which year the Whittier quake hit; but, I was late for work. Tried to convince my boss that I was in the parking lot when the quake hit and it knocked me all the way back home and that was why i was so late. he didn't buy it.

like it was said before, some really jolt you pretty hard and others feel like a giant rolling pin is under the floor. most of them lately, i don't even notice at all.