It wasn't a dark and stormy night.......or how I became the village idiot.

sdr798

CF-4s and a Soundcraftsmen A5002 with the Doors Morrison Hotel on CD. Plays great for almost 3 seconds..........PSSSSSSTFOOOOOOT!........The right channel is not playing. The left channel sounds as if it is "underwater". VU indicators are pulsing like normal. After changing my undies, I installed a different amp and everything is kwool cept the left CF4 is now muddy as my drawers. There is no horn. I pulled said horn and with my trusty Fluke 88, I measure 6.7r. HMMMMMM...........I attached the horn to the right amp out and the horn sings. I removed the crossover and found the HF + nut missing from behind the binding post. After digging around the floor of this speaker I located the nut and reattache. Speaker now back to shaking the walls(With a different amp) :-( . Did this little malfunction with my left speaker xover cause the sudden death of my beloved Soundcraftsmen? Will Tide detergent remove unsightly stains from my drawers? I really am the village idiot...........aren't I?

Welcome Stuart,

Take the cover off the amp and see if it has a blown fuse or fuses. Don't go touchin' things that you don't need to touch, I don't know what the heck might happen, but I had a friend.......thats another story. But seriously, if the fuses are blown, just pull them out and take them to Radio Shack for replacement. Get exactly what was in there or you could cause damage.

Keep us posted and I'm glad you got the "Big 4's" up and runnin' again. [;)]

Dennie

Enough bleach will take the stain out of most anything. Except the one that remains in our brains.

Don't try to explain the stain in your brain or you'll get a strain and a pain, like you're dragging a chain, or inhaling propane, with thoughts down the drain, like you fell off the plane, no-one'll hear you complain, or jump under the train, so reach for the bleach and head for the beach, spare no expense, this has stopped making sense, I feel a bit dense, can't take the suspense, I plead self-defence, he came over the fence, he looked kind of French, so I picked up a wrench, put down in a note, that was all that she wrote. Guess I'm going away, for many a day...

I'm gonna lie down, tired of playing the clown. [;)]

I thought that the Soundcraftsman amps were notorious for going up in smoke. Usually taking out your speakers. Seriously...

And welcome to the forum.

I've never heard that about Soundcraftsmen gear. Any personal experiance with them?

Welcome Stuart,

Take the cover off the amp and see if it has a blown fuse or fuses. Don't go touchin' things that you don't need to touch, I don't know what the heck might happen, but I had a friend.......thats another story. But seriously, if the fuses are blown, just pull them out and take them to Radio Shack for replacement. Get exactly what was in there or you could cause damage.

Keep us posted and I'm glad you got the "Big 4's" up and runnin' again. Wink

Dennie

Thanks for the welcome. I will open up the Soundcraftsmen and take a peek......I repair computer controled cars professionally so I feel like I'm handy around toasters and vacuums.[:)]

I thought that the Soundcraftsman amps were notorious for going up in smoke. Usually taking out your speakers. Seriously...

I haven't heard that about Soundcraftsmen. I do know that most power amps want to be turned on last and powered off first. BUT......In my playings last night I plugged the Soundcraftsmen in the "switched" outlet of the control amp. My friend has his this way so all you need to do is power on the control amp and the power amp turns on too. Well.....that's when all hell broke loose. Maybe my old buddy would still be kicking if I had not powered it this way?

My friend has his this way so all you need to do is power on the control amp and the power amp turns on too. Well.....that's when all hell broke loose. Maybe my old buddy would still be kicking if I had not powered it this way?Broken Heart

I'm using a pair of Yamaha power amps, connected to the Yamaha AV receiver by the 12V trigger, which turns them on when I switch on the amp, plus the EQ (used for the sub only) is connected to the switched outlet of the receiver. It's very convenient and I've been running this set-up without a problem for a couple of years. I do turn on the main E-V EQ/processor first, then the receiver and its connected gear. The receiver and amps get turned off first, then the E-V processor.

My friend has his this way so all you need to do is power on the control amp and the power amp turns on too. Well.....that's when all hell broke loose. Maybe my old buddy would still be kicking if I had not powered it this way?Broken Heart

I'm using a pair of Yamaha power amps, connected to the Yamaha AV receiver by the 12V trigger, which turns them on when I switch on the amp, plus the EQ (used for the sub only) is connected to the switched outlet of the receiver. It's very convenient and I've been running this set-up without a problem for a couple of years. I do turn on the main E-V EQ/processor first, then the receiver and its connected gear. The receiver and amps get turned off first, then the E-V processor.

Yea.....My buddy does close to the same thing but dosen't the newer power amps have a relay that delays the power on until the control amp has closed loop? Not sure if the Soundcraftsmen does.[:(]

I know that if that Power Amp is on when the Pre comes up, it can blow the input transistors in that amp. Soundcraftsmen gear is directly coupled, no caps to protect the input transistors. I believe they are readily available, unlike the outputs.

That amp is wire wrapped and the wires tend to become brittle. So, be carefully if you open her up.

That model Soundcraftsmen does not have a delay start. As a matter of fact, the input transistors are not protected at all. They can blow if the amp is on when the pre is powered on. I believe the pre transistors are still available. Be carefull if you open her up. That gear is wire wrapped and the end of the wires get brittle with age.

That model Soundcraftsmen does not have a delay start. As a matter of fact, the input transistors are not protected at all. They can blow if the amp is on when the pre is powered on. I believe the pre transistors are still available. Be carefull if you open her up. That gear is wire wrapped and the end of the wires get brittle with age.

YIKES!

I guess the next step is finding a service manuel.[st]

I've never heard that about Soundcraftsmen gear. Any personal experiance with them?

Nope, but I think it was only certain models. I may be confusing them with certain Phase Linear gear.

Nope, but I think it was only certain models. I may be confusing them with certain Phase Linear gear.

OBTW...Thanks for the welcome.

Didn't the Phase Linear amps have a problem with catching fire if large loads ( 2r or less) were attached ?

PSSST-Know where I can get a Soundcraftsmen service manuel?[:-*]