Eico HF-81 Challenges The AES SuperAmp !

Well, folks, as you know, I bought the little Eico HF-81 as a surprise gift to my brother who has been a saint, taking wonderful care of my ailing father. He's certainly not into sound and I wanted to treat his ears to something new.

And you've probably seen that other thread in this section detailing how it came to life with a jiggle of the speaker wire and a refinishing job.

Yesterday was a "snow day" in these parts and while working from home, I finished the -81 rehab project and hooked it up to my Klipschorns (pushing the SuperAmp and AE-3 preamp to the side for the moment). I threw on my Fourplay CD which was laying around, and warmed the little Eico up.

Let me tell you that the Superamp is no slouch whatsoever. The Svet EL-34 (in place of the Chinese KT-88's), the Mullards, Sylvania cleartops and the CBS 5692's (on the pre-) ... well, they all put out a wonderfully staged, clear as a bell sound that is tough to beat. And it's beautiful sitting on the sofa table in the living room.

But when I lit up the -81, I closed my eyes and the warmest sound you've ever heard just filled the room; it wasn't coming from the speakers ... it just floated out there. The bass had serious guts, and the mids and highs were present but less forward than the SuperAmp. Just really enjoyable.

So I left the amp on, stopped the CD and waited for the Mrs. to get home from her snowy commute. I poured her a glass of chardonnay and took her and Jack by the hands to the living room. She immediately saw the Eico and said "Pretty!!! Wow, it's SO CUTE!! Let's hear it ..."

She put on her favorite CD/song, went to her favorite listening spot, and I threw the switch. She immediately got that "thousand yard stare" and was dead silent for five minutes. When the song was over, she said ...

"Honey, I hate to tell you this ... but that little amp there sounds better to me that the $2000 worth of gear to its left ... and little Jackie can't burn his fingers on bare tubes, either. Let's keep it."

So I'm back in the scramble mode for Bro --- but I wanted to pass this on because it's a worthwhile story. If you're on the fence about finding one of these beauties, but have the scratch and the inclination, go for it. I love the Superamp and think that it's an amazing amp for the money, but this little Mullard-tubed Eico just boogies and won't slap you in the face while doing so.

And it cleans up pretty nicely too Smile.gif Wife loves the look of it!

The SuperAmp will probably come to the office with me for awhile ...

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 03-21-2002 at 02:33 PM

Great Post. I had a feeling you werent going to let it go. As I have said, when firing on all cylinders (just as in vinyl), this little amp is hard to beat. When loaded with quality valves and warmed up, connected to the right gear, I have found few better at conveying the emotion of the music. We can argue about wiring and layout, but when it comes down to it, this is a classic little amp. And the HF-81 mates so well with the Cornwall.

It easily bests every EL-34 offering I have had in my house. Yes, there is also something really great about a good EL-34 amp; the sound is big and lush, with a lot of air. It is one of my favorite tubes. Yet this EICO sounds more right and of a whole. Of course, it's nice to have many alternatives amp wise, and that is how I prefer to look at it.

I'll never sell my first EICO, though. Glad you got a good one, Chris. Perhaps a Jolida 102B would be good for your brother. I think he'll love it and it might be less of a gamble if he is not into soldering work.

kh

ps - I WANTED TO ADD SOMETHING. There is one thing a good EL-34 amp DOES do better depending on the system. IT can sound larger than the EL-84 amp with slightly bigger sound. Sometimes with certain recordings, this is desired. Still, I think the EL-84 is one of my all time favorite pentode tubes.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-21-2002 at 03:26 PM

Chris,

A great chronicle of events. I suspected the results in advance, but did not want to establish any prejudgements on your part before hearing it. Now you understand why I thought your purchase was a bargain at the price you paid. I certainly remember the first time I fired up the HF81 with the Belles and was amazed with the wonderful sound. Currently it's doing duty with my Cornwalls and I'm loving it there also. Like Mobile, I don't think I'll ever let it go. My only problem is, I can never take it out of service long enough to complete the cosmetic rehab. I'll just have to force myself to do so.

Enjoy!

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 03-21-2002 at 03:01 PM

Hey Cris, nice piece on the eico hf-81. I am now just starting to look into the TUBE side of power and think this is awesome, I remember my grandfather have stuff like this at his home.

I thought you could use this link (http://66.155.4.65/eico_hf-81/links.htm) if you haven't been there already.

Doug

------------------

Current System

Cornwalls 1 (LF/RF)

Hersey II's (LR/RR) Sold

RC-7 (Center)

KSW-12 (Sub)

Adcom GTP500

Yamaha DSP-A1

H/K DVD-50

(Future Expansion)

LaScala's (any day)

AVR 8000

That's it Chris I'm not going to be your adopted brother anymore !!!!!!

Great Post !!

DVois

Just incase you don't know that link is to Mobil Homeless's Web page. He's a fellow member of the forum so I think we all have been there. Its a good link though !

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-21-2002 at 07:24 PM

Mike -- Go for it. Whatever you invest, you'll get it back should you decide to part with it. Go for the paint 'n polish ... will add significant dineros to the resale value.

Jazman -- Thank you for your journalistic instincts. When odds are stacked with you, it pays to be silent. You can then take the high moral road.

Wes -- Thanks for the compliments Smile.gif

Ed -- You gotta' try this one ... Get ready to Ebay. Trust me, worst case: you ain't gonna' lose much. I think you'll love what you hear.

Doug -- The grandfather connection was EXACTLY why I got into this mess to start with. Trust me, you'll never go back. Just take 'one grandfather' and add in a good dose of 'Mobile Homeless' ... you won't be far off the correct trajectory.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

NOS440---HAHA, just a newbie. After I sent the link the Chris I started looking around on it and wham all I see is "Mobile Homeless" I should have known.

Dougcwm16.gif

------------------

Current System

Cornwalls 1 (LF/RF)

Hersey II's (LR/RR) Sold

RC-7 (Center)

KSW-12 (Sub)

Adcom GTP500

Yamaha DSP-A1

H/K DVD-50

(Future Expansion)

LaScala's (any day)

AVR 8000

Mdeneen, thanks for the compliments.

The output tubes are self-biased by the amp's design. I've tried (Chinese) KT-88's, MOV TT-22 (they needed to be cleaned; while they were 50's NOS, the pins were a little dirty and they sounded a little scratchy right out of the box), and Svet EL-34.

I think the KT-88's sounded a little harsh, but the EL-34's really smoothed out the sound, making it more pleasant to my ear, anyway.

Would like to ask (re. TT22's above) if there's anything normally done to treat old NOS before using them (cleaning, burn-in time, etc.) ... From the research I did on the Marconi TT22, they were supposed to be better than the KT-88's, both structurally and sonically. I found their output to be less than the EL-34 or KT-88's, but again, I might have made some newbie errors. Any ideas? The TT22 are the same as KT-88's except for their higher grid voltage ratings (or so they say).

Any help is welcomed!

Chris

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

I give all my new and NOS tube pins a good wipe down with Craig's DeoXit before inserting them in the sockets. If the pins are really dirty and oxidized, I use a tooth brush and the DeoXit. I also lightly treat the sockets with the Deoxit using an artist brush, taking care not to leave any fibers.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

edster00

Don't hessitate to take a look at the Scotts that are all over ebay you won't regret it. "When there firing on all cylinders" they are awesome and can't say for sure just yet but I bet they are as good or better then the EICO. NOS440----->> ducking

Chris

I can tell you first hand that Bias means everything when it comes to getting the best sound out of any tube Amp. The difference in my Scott amps is nothing short of amazing after Mdeneen helped me work out the Bias adjustments.

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-28-2002 at 01:34 PM

Hey guys, sorry to be late responding to the posts. It's been planes, trains and automobiles since 7 am this morning. Just now settling in and catching up.

Mdeneen, I can understand your postulate but I have neither the expertise nor the experience to second guess (or even understand) Dennis Had's ability to design an amp that accomodates multiple output tubes. The difference between the stock KT-88s and the Svet EL-34s was subtle and related mostly to color, not quantity of output. So my sense is that the circuit was doing what it was supposed to do.

That being said, I don't have a baseline of a REALLY GOOD sounding EL-34 to compare it to. I think I'm going to have to contract out the evaluation of this amp to a more experienced individual. In this case, I'm certain that I'm not qualified.

One thing I CAN say is that my Klipschorns LOVE the Superamp. If anything, it is restraining the amp (with regard to the Khorns) that is the issue. That's why I love the Eico ... just more "ying and yang" going on (IMVHO).

Have a great evening.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Hey Chris,

I scored an HF-81 last night...!

Craig,

The seller has a Scott too, I may check them both out!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-26-2002 at 03:19 PM

Ed, congrats! Post some photos when you can!

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Craig,

It seems the Scott's this guy has available are the 222D, the LK-72b, and an LK-48 that he has not tested as of yet.

Do you (or anyone else please) have any recommendations for which of these may be most desirable, especially to drive Heritage Klipsch speakers?

TIA