Meter addiction

Matthews

Hi all,

Last year I added a Yamaha M-80 to my arsenal. In my search for a powerful amp to drive the RF-7's I had two criteria, superior build and stunning good looks. The M-80 fit the bill and I found one in pristine condition for a good price. Recently I have found myself looking at anything with meters built into it. Last night I came across an older BSR EQ-3000. Like an old crow searching for something shinny it drew my attention.

My question. Will an equializer actually reduce the sound quality. I love my rig and the vintage 80's gear. I do not want to add anything that will compromise sound quality simply for flash. I have no need for equalization I just like the pretty little meters. I have the gut feeling that an equalizer is something that will do more harm than good.

Thanks, Keep on Rockin'

Matt

They can be fun.

Here's a thought... if you put one of these into your tape loop, you can probably allow it to show visually however, have it bypassed at the tape loop so it won't be affecting your sound. perhaps the best of both worlds?

Adding a component to the signal path will almost always compromise the sound and EQs from that era (or any really) will no doubt tack on some noise as well. If its just the light show you're after, try hooking the EQ up to the tape out and don't output it back to your pre (unless of course you actually need some EQ). Seems kind of a waste but at least you'll have a unit on hand to play with.

As far as hypnotic goes, when my wife was hooking up the NAS through iTunes, she outputed video to the TV. While we were listening to music on the house system, information (Song, Album, Artist, Art, etc.) was being shown on the TV...pretty cool if only a tangent. Then she turned on what iTunes called the 'Visualizer' and the TV screen showed what I can only describe as visuals similar to what you would see in 2001, A Space Odyssey or Dr. Who - moving in time with the music playing through the stereo. I was mesmerized and stared at it for what seemed like hours.

If I could figure a way to run a Visualizer-like program through my main system without iTunes, I'd buy a huge flat screen, put it on the wall above the system and never be heard from again. Thankfully, I haven't figured out how to do it economically and in a way that wouldn't impact the sound yet.

They can be fun.

Here's a thought... if you put one of these into your tape loop, you can probably allow it to show visually however, have it bypassed at the tape loop so it won't be affecting your sound. perhaps the best of both worlds?

Sorry Coytee, I didn't see your post...nevermind.

If I could figure a way to run a Visualizer-like program through my main system without iTunes, I'd buy a huge flat screen, put it on the wall above the system and never be heard from again.

[:D]Thanks for a good grin this morning[;)]

I had my laptop hooked up one day with the visualizer through the TV. I agree, pretty cool. A real pain in the *!# though. I think I might go ahead and try the tape loop method. I can pick up a BSR on ebay pretty cheap so dont really have much to loose. If I dont like how it looks, on the shelf it goes, along with all the other un-needed equipment.

Matt

Don't want to hijack here, but since visualization has been mooted...

I cannot find a completely satisfying visualization program. None I've seen so far ( a reasonable sample from a variety of players) seem to really be adjustable to dyamnics, beat, tempo, tone as I know code can be written for. Some almost seem to for a bit, then go wandering away. It's really obvious when they don't fade to black or whatever their full rest should be at the end. I just put up an oscilloscope or bar eq most of the time as the lack of really close synchronization with the music rapidly becomes intrusive.

Any recommendations?

Dave

I just put up an oscilloscope or bar eq most of the time as the lack of really close synchronization with the music rapidly becomes intrusive.

Slap a dbx 3bx/4bx or 5bx into your system (all dynamic range expanders), mate them with a dbx 14/10 or an Audio Control C-101 type equalizer with real time analyzer and have some fun! Next and add a dbx subharmonic synth and the EV Dx38 active.

Use them in or out of the tape loop.

Now you get a fun light show and it's all timed to the music. If you want to add some punch to the sound, bring them into the loop and have at it.

[Y]

I just put up an oscilloscope or bar eq most of the time as the lack of really close synchronization with the music rapidly becomes intrusive.

Slap a dbx 3bx/4bx or 5bx into your system (all dynamic range expanders), mate them with a dbx 14/10 or an Audio Control C-101 type equalizer with real time analyzer and have some fun! Next and add a dbx subharmonic synth and the EV Dx38 active.

Use them in or out of the tape loop.

Now you get a fun light show and it's all timed to the music. If you want to add some punch to the sound, bring them into the loop and have at it.

Yes

Good Advise Coytee! I have an Audio Control C-101 III and I do get "hooked" on watching the pretty lights bounce up and down. [:|]

Hey Matt, Always good to see you and if you are enjoying it and you can afford a new toy, I say do it. Nothing wrong with watching the meters. [<:o)]

Dennie

I bought a BSR equalizer 25 or so years ago (DOH!)

I thought it was cool because of the pink noise generator and all the bar meter lights. It introduced a LOT of noise so I finally just attached it via the line out so I could watch the purty lights.

I'm sure the lights made it sound better [^o)]