Heavy Duty Bass with minimal distortion

Hmmm? You said it not me....fitting though! You said yourself, overtones! I will bet that you cannot hear a clean 16 Hz signal, let alone a sigle digit clean signal, anything else by definition would not be a pure signal, and hence distortion, and just think, it only took you 7 years to understand that, or do you? Roger

Don't you have anything better to do than cruise the forums abusing people?

Pot calling the kettle black.

My arguments have truth and merit, as you should well know if you have ever played frequency sweeps through your DD-18s, you can't hear anything at those frequencies coming out of your Velodynes, but you sure can feel it.

I speak about things I have experienced first hand, like hearing Jubilees, or owning TSCMs, or the MCM-1900 system, or the Kp-600 system, or Klipschorns.

I might assume that the Velodyne servo system would make it sound more accurate at all frequencies, then even the Klipsch KPT-684, but I would not state that as fact, or say something like that is where the blah, blah must meet the road between HGS and DD, in argument that the DD must surely sound more accurate than that Pro Klipsch speaker, but that "theory" was explained well by Dr. Who, that the Servo wouldn't have near as much effect at the higher frequencies and why.

You pooh poohed my personal observations with no personal basis in fact of your own, as you obviosly have not experienced the KPT-684 nor HGS under such conditions, nor had the oportunity to compare your own speakers in similar situations. I am not the one in your case, nor this case who made definitive statements that were wrong. Nor was I the one that got all bent out of shape with "the Ear" about sub woofers. "the Ear" has owned many, many more subs than you and I put together.

Now if you will pay a very minute ammount of attention here, you will notice that I made statements of fact. I did not go out of my way to be beligerant, belittling, or otherwise hostile.

This is also a thread from a personal friend of mine that you are attacking me on, so why don't you run along and play with the ear for a while, or I can come over to your thread about Blackie and Blondie and start pointing out some things on your thread that will be belittling.

Roger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For musicality, the KPT-684 kills my velodynes on Rock, for Home theatre on shot gun blasts like Open Range, or explosions, or extremely low sythesized stuff, the Velodynes still own the extremely low frequencies.

That's a little surprising. I would have thought that although the sheer output of the KPT-684s in the higher frequencies used for general rock would be much higher than the HGS, the accuracy of the HGS would be better due to the servo control. The ultra low frequency dominance of the HGS is not surprising at all.

For what it's worth and since I'm a geek about control systems, the servo approach is going to improve the low frequency behavior more than the high frequency behavior. This is because any natural distortion requires the ability of the driver to slew faster in order to correct itself quickly enough. At the very minimum, you need at least 10x the intended bandwidth....so for a clean 100Hz, you need a driver that will get up to 1kHz cleanly. That's a lot to be asking of an 18" driver. However, a 20Hz signal "only" needs to be capable of 200Hz, which is easily acheived with an 18" driver.

Mike has some excellent insight here!

This goes a long ways towards explaining to my brain, what my ears had already told it. I never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. I was thinking when listening at Kevins man cave, my Velodynes dig deeper, but these sound better on music in the frequencies they live in.

The Velodynes sound great, and don't sound boomy at really low frequencies like so many others do, but I wondered, why do these sound better at the response they live in. This also follows right along with what Paul always said about distortion going up as efficiency decreases.

I wasn't looking for the biggest increase in maximum output, it just made sense to me to let different drivers work in the range where they work best, just like with widranges and tweeters, but Mikes explanation goes alot further to justify my thoughts on what I had heard.

Makes me wonder again what some of the Electro Voice EV-30Ws would sound like in some double scale MWMs?

Roger

Nor was I the one that got all bent out of shape with "the Ear" about sub woofers. "the Ear" has owned many, many more subs than you and I put together.

Bent out shape? You think so? Because some egotis starts sprouting the equivalent of "mine's bigger than yours and I know pro gear and I'm god"? I really couldn't give a toss how many subs you or he have owned. What both of you need to do is read what you write before posting it. It's hostile, belittling and neither of you have any reason to do so, unless extraordinary ego size is the claimed reason (at which point there's no reason at all).

This is also a thread from a personal friend of mine that you are attacking me on, so why don't you run along and play with the ear for a while, or I can come over to your thread about Blackie and Blondie and start pointing out some things on your thread that will be belittling.

Actually, I didn't attack you. I pointed out that your claim about the law was wrong; as did at least one other. If that's an attack you probably need to stop being so sensitive. Or is such bristly reaction an overcompensation for something?

Just pop over to the home theater area and recall recently abusing someone out because he wanted to accommodate his wife's wishes. Selective memory.

You're welcome to pop into the thread about the pair of DD-18s and say whatever belittling thing you like. At this point, I can't imagine any of it being worth the time to read. Perhaps when you're there you can regale us with stories of how both yourself and TheEAR went to the same school of inflated ego and bad manners.