Getting an HK 730 back from repair

Bought it from dkalsi for $40 + shipping six months ago. Here is the purchase thread.

Finally brought the HK to a tech in the Milwaukee area a few weeks ago. It's fixed up along with an old Kenwood I've had from my parents. Going to pick them up next Tuesday. Both of them repaired for $70 - Woot!

Looking forward to having some more (fully functional!) vintage receivers around.

Hey River', that"s great to hear.

Did you hook it up before you sent it to the shop? I'm wondering if you can compare the before and after?

$70 sound like a great deal, what did they do to them for that price?

I've got a few "old' Sansui's laying around and I've thought about getting at least one of them "updated", but I have no clue what the costs would be.

Congratulations. [Y]

You'll have to keep us posed on how it sounds. [8][8]

Dennie

Did you hook it up before you sent it to the shop? I'm wondering if you can compare the before and after?

$70 sound like a great deal, what did they do to them for that price?

Yes, before having it repaired I had to see what it sounded like. Upon receiving it there were two blown fuses. I replaced them, and hoped that would be it. Turned it on - the left channel popped and hissed badly. Hadn't even put music on yet. I disconnected the left speaker and enjoyed the right for a couple songs, then shelfed it until the repair. Too nervous it might blow something, itself or a beloved speaker. It's been many months since hearing it so a "before and after" comparison may lean toward the subjective.

The tech over the phone yesterday told me what he did to repair the HK, and I can't remember now. He said the Kenwood needed a cleaning badly (sound would come and go at random) and that's it. When I pick them up Tuesday I'll ask about the HK again AND write it down.

He had a few Sansui receivers waiting to be repaired. I'm sure every unit is a different situation, but I could ask about a ballpark figure for a Sansui update......? This will be the third time he's repaired stuff for me. He's sincere and doesn't cost a lot.

I'll get back to ya'll about the sound.

RN,

Sounds like a great deal, from the original purchase to the $70 for both pieces getting a look thru and cleaning.

Does the place you took it to have a web site? Been thinking about taking my 4 receivers in to get a look thru and repaired, (2) H/K, (1) Marantz and (1) Yamaha.

James

RN,

Sounds like a great deal, from the original purchase to the $70 for both pieces getting a look thru and cleaning.

Does the place you took it to have a web site? Been thinking about taking my 4 receivers in to get a look thru and repaired, (2) H/K, (1) Marantz and (1) Yamaha.

James

James,

He doesn't have a website. I sent you a PM with his contact information.

If anyone else is interested, please PM me.

Great receiver and one of the few solid state units that sound great with Klipsch. I have a 730, but right now I'm using a very sweet H/K 430 with Cornwall II's until my Scott 222C arrives from NOS Valves. Enjoy it, it's a terrific receiver.

I really enjoyed my 730 that I used to have. Unfortunately when I moved into surround-sound it got the boot. At the time I had it paired up with a set of RF-25s and it was amazing what those real watts could do!

Glad to hear...like Dennie I have a great Sansui just waiting for some repair...I am trying to get it to Warren or Tim for repair one of these days. Almost pulled the trigger on a 730 a few months ago, but there is just something about Sansui I just love. Have been on the lookout for something decent to replace it in the mean time, but have not had any luck. Glad to hear you had a good experience and brought a fallen HK back to life. ACE