DCX-2496 vs. DC-ONE?

jorjen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All things being equal, cost not a factor, yadayada, which active would you choose and why?

The EV DC-One probably has more and better parametric and shelf EQ filters, with much more control. I've heard that the Behringer can be a little limited in a relative sense only.

Additionally, I'd go with EV based on hardware reliability alone. I have no idea if individual component quality is different - just overall design robustness. The EV also has USB: the DCX-2496 apparently uses RS-232 (if that makes a difference to you - it does to me).

Chris

I've heard that the Behringer can be a little limited in a relative sense only.

Additionally, I'd go with EV based on hardware reliability alone. I have no idea if individual component quality is different - just overall design robustness. The EV also has USB: the DCX-2496 apparently uses RS-232 (if that makes a difference to you - it does to me).

Chris

Behringer tries to cram too many features in for the price. They overlook quality and favor features. I have not been happy with Behringer products for reliability/durability.

I've heard many people say that the Behringer unit performs well for their needs. Note that the question posed, above, specifically excluded price.

Things that are more expensive (with certain audiophile exceptions) usually are better, otherwise, how can they can command a higher price? This is usually the case in commercial audio products, like the two items discussed here. How much is "good enough"? This is usually the burning question.

One thing that I've got to say about active digital crossovers: these units will last a long time. Once you invest in a good active crossover, it can be reused on other speaker systems. For instance, I bought a spare Dx38 which I intend to use to bi-amp my center channel with a P.Audio BM-D750 driver/PH-4525 horn, and secondarily, to EQ my horn-loaded subs. I'll hang-on to the two Dx38s simply because they are so versatile and they sound very good.

If I had another Dx38, I'd use it to biamp my CW surrounds and upgrade the CW tweeter/midrange sections with the same horn/driver types as the center speaker. I'd put the upgraded horns/drivers on top of the existing CW cabinet to get a little more height out of the combination for better surround performance.

I have not tried the EV processors myself but have used RACE PC tool quite a lot. We know the EV processors are good as the DX38 is Roy's reference unit.....still.

I have communicated to owners of the DC-One and have heard very good reports from them.

That being said, I have fooled with some others out there, have the Behringer, and also an Ashly Protea 4.8SP which is what I use on my avatar speakers.

The Behringer has very good features but IMHO just doesn't have the sound quality I require. It is an excellent featured processor for the money and gets you in the game. You can implement Roy's settings and run Jubs with it. It will do 3-way. One forum member modified his with a tube output section that might sound interesting.

There are also several other nice processors out there. In the $1250 range Sabine (VERY nice with Sharc procesor) and Ashly Protea, in the $2000 -$2500 range by Yamaha, DBX Driverack 4800 and Ashly NE. There are more but these are the ones I found can work for Jubs and MCM systems for under 3K. On the cheaper end BBE.

It's always nice to standardize with the support (Roy and EV dx-38). I could not because I have an MCM system and require more than the 2-way that the dx can only do. The DC-One will do 3-way. I needed 4-way so I could run subs and XII mid-bass modules.

My point is you should take your time and think about how your system will expand. Check out the different manufacturer's products. There are processors a plenty. You can download and read manuals to understand what you are buying. You can try the PC software tools they all come with before you buy anything, just download. I just wanted you to be aware of the several out there that can do the job and that have newer processing cores.

It's always nice to standardize with the support (Roy and EV dx-38). I could not because I have an MCM system and require more than the 2-way that the dx can only do. The DC-One will do 3-way. I needed 4-way so I could run subs and XII mid-bass modules.

So, you have finally come to my side of the world with a 4-WAY. Welcome, my brutha from a differen mutha! Let's see an updated Avatar, then, eh? Very cool

Thanks for the excellent input to this point fellas, I appreciate it.

I need the ability to go 3-way to start, so that rules out a single DX38 and thus the need for this thread. If I knew for sure I would only go 2-way with my Jube clones and stay that way, the DX38 would be a no brainer.

I dunno, but the Sabine Navigator 360 is lookin' real good right now. The Ashly Protea 4.24C seems to be a nice unit too. Still need to look into a few others as well.

Any of you had any trouble using RCA to XLR or XLR to RCA adapters? Noise, etc.?

Any of you had any trouble using RCA to XLR or XLR to RCA adapters? Noise, etc.?

If I could get rid of all RCA connectors, I would. I haven't had any trouble from the XLRs or the XLR-RCA cables - in fact, the noise is lower with XLR-RCA than RCA-RCA.

Chris

I've heard many people say that the Behringer unit performs well for their needs. Note that the question posed, above, specifically excluded price.

Things that are more expensive (with certain audiophile exceptions) usually are better, otherwise, how can they can command a higher price? This is usually the case in commercial audio products, like the two items discussed here. How much is "good enough"? This is usually the burning question.

One thing that I've got to say about active digital crossovers: these units will last a long time. Once you invest in a good active crossover, it can be reused on other speaker systems. For instance, I bought a spare Dx38 which I intend to use to bi-amp my center channel with a P.Audio BM-D750 driver/PH-4525 horn, and secondarily, to EQ my horn-loaded subs. I'll hang-on to the two Dx38s simply because they are so versatile and they sound very good.

If I had another Dx38, I'd use it to biamp my CW surrounds and upgrade the CW tweeter/midrange sections with the same horn/driver types as the center speaker. I'd put the upgraded horns/drivers on top of the existing CW cabinet to get a little more height out of the combination for better surround performance.

I understand the question that was posed and I would expect the Behringer unit to perform well under the other unit, as it should and didn't take any offense to the comments about the Behringer at all, in fact I bought a Behringer mixing board knowing that if I were going to use it as a traveling musician and throw it in and out of vehicles that it will not hold up like a Mackie, or some other units. I made the decision on the Behringer active as a first step into the active world, knowing that this was going to be a learning curve that I was willing to spend X on and not based on what I could spend, but I still think that somewhere in the entire process of filtering all of the feedback that is received, that a large price spread has to come into play, otherwise I believe the question, if price really has no bearing, would have been what's the best active crossover available at a certain price point, or with an unlimited budget, so I was curious about the reasoning behind the comment, "excluding the price".

After I hit the post button, I knew that someone would think that I didn't read the post properly, or got offended based on my recent purchase, but neither one of those is true, just curious about the decision that's being pondered that prompted the post. It's all good.[:D], I'm just here to try and absorb all the information I can get.

The Sabine Navigator is an excellent choice. Go for it. I will eventually try one. I spoke with their tech upport to get a few questions answered and the Navigator seems like an excellent candidate.

I am very happy with my Ashly Protea. You will want either 3.6SP or 4.8Sp. I wouldn't get the older ones. They do not have USB connections and are an older generation. The Proteas have an analog sound I have been very happy with. You will have to create Roy's low shelf filters in a somewhat unconventional manner as Ashly high shelves are EV low shelves. But that was no big deal. The unit is capable and sounds great.

Claude, I borrowed JC's XII mid-bass modules and I have 2 old velodyne subs to play with......considering others presently. I still am running 2 way but plan to upgrade this weekend. I hope to determine if a pair of my own XII's are in my future, and if it is possible to satisfy myself integrating subs, or not. I have an extra McIntosh amp for the XIIs and a nice processor now............plus Roy sent me the proper MCM-3 grand settings. All I need to do is make some connections. With the presets in my processor and the Protea PC software which operates in real time I should be able to A/B test 2-way vs. 3-way vs. 4 way pretty easily.

After I hit the post button, I knew that someone would think that I didn't read the post properly, or got offended based on my recent purchase, but neither one of those is true...

No offense taken. I was just clarifying my response.

I think that the question really is: "why should I spend my extra cash on a DC-One rather than a DCX-2496?" That was the question that I was trying to answer.

The comments by Mark1101 are good - you can download and try out the software first. This may be enough for those that already know how they're going to use the the crossover/EQ/delays. Many folks here probably don't know how they are going to set their crossovers up, so the question is: "Is the DCX-2496 enough?" Clearly, for those of you that will EQ and cross their systems by ear, the Behringer unit will probably suffice. However, my concern is reliability and future flexibility. If you don't mind buying and then later trading up, then the Behringer is probably a reasonable bet. However, there are some applications (Mark's, my own) where the limitations of the Behringer would lead to a short time of ownership.

Chris

I had been running for a couple of months on the Behringer 2496dcx and replaced it with the Ashly unit. I experienced a very noticeable amount of improvement in the form of clarity, depth of sound stage, overall fidelity (crisper top end, cleaner tighter bass). Of course I paid over $1000 more for the Ashly. From a feature and functionality standpoint the Behringer has more features than the Ashly I bought. So there is something other than just programmability that you are buying. The sound quality on all these units varies.

Guest David H

The Behringer is really a fantastic unit, however to get the most of it mods are certainly required. The capacitive or transformer output mods have a profound effect on the sound, but I really like the tube output mod.

When I compared DCX-2496 with the capacitive output mod to Johnny 5's XR4001 Ashley there was no discernable difference in sound quality, however compared to the stock Behringer the Ashley sounded better. I have not yet compared the Ashley to the Tube mod Behringer.

As for reliability the Behringers are the red headed step child of the bunch, however I have not had any issues.

Dave

I have owned both of those and now only own the Behringer. The DC-ONE has a much better GUI pc interface and some nice features, probably more options for shelf filters etc. However, the one I had gave me hell with my Khorns and noise floor. HOWEVER, at the time I did not have the proper amps for my setup, so I wish I had the EV again to try out. I am very happy with the Behringer and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Gotover, as I had commented in your tube thread I thought those tube mods you made were very cool and I'd be interested in hearing your modded unit. I imagine replacing the analog components with better ones would be a marked improvement. I hadn't heard the Ashly unit you mention. I'd just like to hear your Behringer sometime.

I think it is great that there are processor options. There didn't used to be very many. Now there's something for everyone's application, and more coming on the market all the time.

I am very interested in the Sabine unit personally. I discovered it after my Ashly purchase and then became happy with the Ashly. So it will not be soon for me to have a Sabine.

I also do have respect for the Behringer unit. It's the second 2496dcx I've owned and it can do just about anything. Honestly, the fit and finish on it is better than my $1200.00 Ashly. The Behringer was $267.00 brand new. Side by side you would say the Behringer costs more just looking at and touching the two. But truly there is no comparison in the performance. The Ashly is far better for me.

Another issue aside from sound comparisons of these processors with one another is the all important compatability issues with other system components.

Impedance and level mismatching happened to me in the past with my first attempt at digital and active. Buzz, hum, hiss. Clean boxes, adaptors. All sorts of noise issues and disatisfaction. I dumped all the stuff and went back to passives for over 2 years accumulating new (my present) equipment to try again.

So system matching is another very important consideration.

I think I got lucky this time as I have all McIntosh now (pre and amps) and I have no noise issues at all this time around.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Yamaha SP2060 today and I am now glad I did not.

I became concerned with the impedance mismatch between the outputs on my BBX and the 10K inputs on all this Pro Digital stuff which brought me to a discussion with Mark. As it turns out the BBX wants to see a minimum of 33K at the outputs. What I would wind up doing according to Mark is "suck the life right out of the BBX which would manifest itself in the form of higher distortion and weak bass". Forget that notion.

Anyway, so far the only thing I have found that would match nicely impedance wise are some of the Marchand pieces like the tube stuff, but they are way to expensive. I may end up sticking with the passive arrangement I already have.

I have a nice Peach that I like a lot and have had for a few years now. Unfortunately I don't have ANY good news about trying to mate it pro amps or processors. I experienced buzz, hum, noise and was less than thrilled with the sound. Trust Mark on this one. I have also heard from other forum members with the same issue.

My advice is that if you are going to have an active system with a Pro digital speaker processor FORGET about using any Juicy music preamps. GREAT products, but not compatable with the Pro stuff. Save the now rare Juicy stuff for a nice conventional home audio system within its design parameters, and get something compatable with the pro stuff (I.E. McIntosh works wonders).

I ran my Peach all weekend with an MC-250 amp and some cornwalls set outdoors on my basement patio. The Peach anchors my cornwall system for sumer outdoor use and it has always been wonderful. Next to it sits my other McIntosh gear that interfaces with my digital speaker processor and runs my MCM cinema speakers. I just know not to use the Peach with the processor from past experience.