I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Guest David H

My BB do not run that way.

Interestng, but not surprised, I have seen many changes from one model to the next. looks great either way....

Dave

Dave

Okay, I took a GOOD look at my LS last night. Quite frankly, the grain of the veneer is VERY random. It looks a lot like it came from the sap wood of the tree and therefore is really not very good grain. I have to backtrack and confess that, if anything, all of the grain of the speaker is running N/S. [:$] Oh, well. Serves me right for commenting based on my feeble memory . My only saving grace is that I have looked at a lot of speaker updates that matched the grain pattern going around the speaker. Some looked good, some not. On my squatting LS for my center channel, I attempted to match as best as I could. Turned out okay, but not a show piece.

Anyway, your work definitely worth watching and should be superior..

bob

Guest David H

Thanks Bob, I agree most speakers grain follows suit E-W, The Lascala's and KHorns seem to be the non conformist.

Thanks for your comments, I am trying to make these WAF+. I am sure someone will give them a nice home.

Dave

Cherry looks great.

So does your response compared to mine.

Stock Cabinents, 55m Universal XO, JBL 2404, Microsoft Excel, Log axix, copied to PowerPoint saved as picture and Shack Meter adjusted based on published corrections.

I could really feel the cabinet sides and Dog House vibrate at 160 Hz. The dog house stopped by between 160 and 125 but the sides kept on vibrating much lower.

post-30420-13819599212018_thumb.jpg

post-30420-13819617530788_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Thanks for all the nice comments, I hope to have them assembled wednesday, then still have to make the side and port grills.

Those black ports just disappear

Exactly what I was hoping for. I have to give the credit however to Peter Bliss who suggested the slanted legs. His idea really set the look I had hoped to acheive. On the same note this entire project is an accumulation of idea's from forum members.

DJK I believe did the first ported Lascala, the split design I got from a restoration by Greg Roberts, Port design and all kinds of valuable info from JWC, crossovers ALK / DeanG Clones, laminating an additional .25 iches to the bass bins is from Carbon 66, the DIY tweeter from KG4GUY, parts and valuable info from Bob Crites. I am sure there are many members I have left out.

Like one forum members signature line says:To steal from one person is plagiarism to steal from many is research.

Dave

Guest David H

Update, I retuned the port for 40hz as a suggestion from JC, and it really made a word of difference, the bass transitions much smoother. I was initially suspect of running a shorter port but I gave it a shot, and I am beside myself, this change seems to have resolved all of the bass issues I had been fighting.

I still need to make the lower bass bin and port grills, but I wanted some bracing in the bass bin as well. What I came up with is the E-Brace.

The E-Brace is an interference fit brace that can be used on any Lascala, its simple to install, very effective, and is removable.

post-24405-13819599498796_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961785019_thumb.jpg