The 2010 Picky Report

Steve Phillips sets out some of the Klipsch artifact gear for us to look at. These items are part of what was auctioned off on Saturday afternoon. The items were removed from the Klipsch Museum basement a few years ago following a basement flood. They have been stored in a trailer ever since and were removed for the auction. Many of them were experiment subjects of PWK himself.

post-10177-13819598273662_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616409754_thumb.jpg

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

START OF THE WORKING PLANT TOUR:

We then all broke up into groups of about 10 and each group was lead to a different starting point within the plant. This was mine and Verna's third plant tour as we'd attend both with working and non-working tours given at the Pilgrimage back in 2006.

The first thing most people see as they enter the plant is this large, automated, dado and bevel machine. It can efficiently and quickly shape and size all of the MDF (Medium Density Fiber Board and plywood that enters the plant, cutting dado channels into the surface at the required depth and placing 45 degree bevels along the edges...

post-10177-13819598289702_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616424832_thumb.jpg

The percentage of 'made right the first time is quite staggering'. Thanks for all the photos Glenn.

Can someone start a 'What'd ya get?' thread for the auction items?

I've got three of those KPT1201's on standby for my eventual basement HT. Great sounding and they are so simple to hang! Much easier than a Heresy and 100 degree coverage in all directions. That's the K28 Heresy woofer that will fit into those babies.

M

Klipsch KT-680-SW Subwoofer back....

I see that Dave, Bill H, or Steve has made the modification from the original EP4 and EP8 connectors (mil-spec), to Neutrik Speakon (Rock and Roll spec). Does anyone have information as to whether the original wiring was changed out, also the XLR connectors in the HF pack, were they left in place? One of the engineering specs on the KP600 setup is that each driver (aside from very HF motors) was individually accessible via test point so you could check to see if each driver was working correctly. This would also speed driver repair as you'd always open the correct hatch. This is why 4 conductor cabling and plugs were used in cabinets that had two drivers, even if they were wired in parallel.

The Neutriks actually dropped into the exact same mounting holes and there was enough room for Steve to splice the Neutrik cables into all the stock internal wiring. I gotta say, the XLR cables for the HF drivers were real convenient when we had to pull the horn out to do some troubleshooting (which turned out to be a wire that Steve forgot to put back on after rebuilding everything).

• Moderators

I just wanted to thank Picky for doing all of this, he also ran one of the cameras the day of the concert, this is what he did non-stop from before 3 to the end of the show around midnight.

post-11804-13819598297782_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819616433722_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You know your not on your average stay at a HIE when you see more baggage carts moving speakers, tube amps, turntables and just general audio equipment into and out of the hotel than baggage.

Also when was the last time you checked in to a hotel and right there in the lobby was a Peach connected with tube amps powering Cornwalls with a Heresy center ? And as you walked down the halls you could pass rooms and hear music playing, Cornwalls, LaScalas, you mean you don't have a turntable in your room,. well come on over !.........we can sleep when we get home.