The 2010 Picky Report

Meanwhile, the first two men have finished aligning all four of the RF-7 sides and are now applying the clear tape to the front surfaces at each joint in order to hold the pieces in alignment when they are moved after gluing...

post-10177-13819598448492_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616621128_thumb.jpg

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all of the taped pieces have been carefully flipped over onto the opposite side, a special fixture (or "jig") is used by the far man to help the near man accurately place the two cross-braces on each of the sides that will eventually support the RF-7's internal baffle boards. Here the crossbraces are brad-nailed into place...

post-10177-13819598449862_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616622778_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

-what's that red thingy on the cart with stage box?

If your talking about the red tube thing on the left side, it's a piece of PVC pipe painted red. After the big wire/cable/snake is rolled up the end with all the connectors is stuffed in that to protect all the end connectors.

The ONLY reason I know that is because we cleared the stage after the show, [:|] a job that is much more than it initially looks like it would be, " tonnes of stuff ".

Pink glue (the color does not show up well in these photos) is applied to each corner edge of the RF-7 using a specially made wooden wedge applicator. The reason the glue has been dyed pink is because white glue dries clear and can't be seen and if any glue remains on the surface after the sanding process, the speaker's finish would be ruined after it goes tthrough the laquer process. Therefore, pink dye is added to the glue so that it can be seen and thoroughly removed by the sanders prior to the lacquer application.

post-10177-13819598451492_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616624398_thumb.jpg

Immediately following the glue application, both men work together to carefully bend each side up in a 90 degree angle, forming a 4-cornered box using the the tape as hinges. Very cool!!

post-10177-13819598452872_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616626002_thumb.jpg

On the left are the motorboards and baffles and to the right is one of the young ladies who runs the multi-tool, robotic boring machine that works magic on MDF and plywood by boring the screw holes, switching tools (automatically) and boring different size screw holes into the boards. Amazinly fast...

post-10177-13819598455848_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616629802_thumb.jpg

You don't even see or smell the sawdust because all of the machines have a collection system built in that sucks all of the dust out of the plant and into a collection hopper outside. That little "skirt" on the lower edge of the machine helps block the dust from escaping.

post-10177-13819598457756_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616631402_thumb.jpg

Therefore, pink dye is added to the glue so that it can be seen and thoroughly removed by the sanders prior to the lacquer application.

Well, that and it's real pretty.

OK, unbelievable, but I have a serious question! Once the guys have the four sides of the speaker taped-up, they have to flip them, right? How do they do that? That seems to me it might be the trickiest part of the assembly.

OK, unbelievable, but I have a serious question! Once the guys have the four sides of the speaker taped-up, they have to flip them, right? How do they do that? That seems to me it might be the trickiest part of the assembly.

Greg, there is a pneumatic machine that has a frame that clamps all sides simultaneously. Remember that one of the tricks of MDF fabrication is to get plenty of surface area to each joint and to 'let in' via dados as much as possible. I think from Heresy II onward that most cabinet are assembled complete with all 6 sides with speakers and hardware all surface mounted from the outside. I have a photo of one here somewhere but not sure if Klipsch would want their production machinery shown. It's been a while since I signed a Nondisclosure.

Immediately following the glue application, both men work together to carefully bend each side up in a 90 degree angle, forming a 4-cornered box using the the tape as hinges. Very cool!!

Anyone else notice something wrong with pic 238 ? Or is that a custom ports on top RF7 ?

Awesome photos and write up, as usual, Picky!! So glad you all had fun.

But I must echo James' question...

By any chance, does anyone have a total group shot?

I don't remember a group shot being taken. The groups were fairly spread out. In fact I don't remember seeing everyone at any one given place or time.

Ewps.

That wouild be correct.

Awesome photos and write up, as usual, Picky!! So glad you all had fun.

But I must echo James' question...

By any chance, does anyone have a total group shot?

I don't remember a group shot being taken. The groups were fairly spread out. In fact I don't remember seeing everyone at any one given place or time.

Ewps.

-what's that red thingy on the cart with stage box?

If your talking about the red tube thing on the left side, it's a piece of PVC pipe painted red. After the big wire/cable/snake is rolled up the end with all the connectors is stuffed in that to protect all the end connectors.

The ONLY reason I know that is because we cleared the stage after the show, Indifferent a job that is much more than it initially looks like it would be, " tonnes of stuff ".

Yep, here's a picture of me with the ( apparently ) 500 foot long snake, mounted to a cart.

post-9504-13819598463826_thumb.jpg

post-9504-13819616636976_thumb.jpg

Homemade distro mounted in an extra deep rack unit, it has two standard breaker panels ( one at 240V, one at 120V ) and I believe 50 feet of cable that stores in the back of the rack. I didn't get a chance to examine the plug, but I am pretty sure it's a 50 amp 240v plug on the end.

post-9504-13819598466618_thumb.jpg

post-9504-13819616640446_thumb.jpg