The 2010 Picky Report

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thanks, too, to Glenn for his fine pics and especially for ID'ing the people. Lotta good work there!

I wish I'd been there too, to connect names with people/avatars and hear Heritage and Palladium setups. Every bit of it always very worthwhile.

Missed you, Larry. You might of enjoyed hearing the 16th Century Spanish chaccones and Samuel Scheidt brass works I played that cleared the Jubilee listening room. ;-)

Incredibly detailed coverage, Glenn! So far, this thread could be used as a tutorial on setting up a tent, and a concert stage! I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the photos. I want to see that the Pilgrimage was more than sweaty guys lifting heavy things (you see, that's MY career in a nut shell). You understand, I'm sure. It would be like asking Pamela Anderson to go through 13 pages filled with pictues of big-boobed girls. Heh.

[Y][;)]

Wow! I just woke up! (In more ways than one) Did I really post that many pages about tent construction? OMG! I did! I'm sorry folks. Everyone reacts differently to sleep deprevation. I guess my reaction to it is posting way too many details about the less technical stuff instead of what we really went down to Hope to see. Apologies folks. ;)

Our little entourage: Dr.Who, Michael Hurd, Verna and I left the Hope, Holiday Inn Express and went to lunch at Amigo Juan's about 11:30 am Sunday (Yesterday). We were minus Jay (who rode to Hope with us) as he had planned to ride home with dtel and Christie to spend a week at their place in Mississippi before flying back home to NJ). After lunch, we got on the road back to Chicagoland around 12:30 pm and after several rest stops, and dropping off the van at Dr.Who's grandpa's in Joliet, IL and getting his car back, we pulled into Dr. Who's driveway around 2:45 am last night, safe-and-sound. Tanks so much to Dr.Who's grandma and grandpa for making this trip so much more comfortable and for the use of their Honda van! We must have about about 1,800 miles on it.

And now: Back to the really good stuff!

Special thanks to Loud & Clear: for his very nicely detailed post! I always enjoy talking to you and I am glad you could make it this year!

FRIDAY AFTERNOON WORKING PLANT TOUR:

Arriving at the Hope, Klipsch Plant on Friday afternoon for the working, plant tour. This photo is the result of not having one's camera ready in time to catch a passing shot... (sorry)...

post-10177-13819598256832_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616391918_thumb.jpg

I realize I am posting the same photo again, but it's important to tell the folks who are unaware that this part of the plant is referred to as "The office building" by plant employees. It is the oldest part of the original plant that Paul W. Klipsch (PWK) had built and it contiues to house the plant's administration offices. The listening room you will see later is also located here and the Klispch Museum is directly across the street.

post-10177-13819598258232_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616393506_thumb.jpg

Customsteve01, Verna and I arrived a bit early and Jim Hunter invited us to spend some time in the "Wounded Buffalo" * engineering building, where Roy Delgado's research lab & listening room, the anechoic chamber and PWK's office are all located. Roy was not present this weekend as we'd heard that he was abroad on corporate business in Peru. Steve Phillips fired up the Jubes for us and we sat and listened to perfection until closer to 2 pm when we could go to the plant break room from where the tours begin. We shared the listening room with two very nice young gentlemen. I have a terrible memory for names and naturally I did not bring a note pad to record names and screen names with. Note to self: Bring a notebook next time!!! My sincere apologies, to everyone!

* Wounded Buffalo Engineering Building: (Jim Hunter, please correct me if I am wrong) Years ago, the Klipsch plant was much smaller and there came some dispute of sorts that required jobbing out some operations to an outside company, so the name "Wounded Buffalo" was adopted for that company that occupied the detached building next to the plant. Years later, because the building was isolated away from the noise and vibration of the plant proper, the building eventually housed the Klipsch research test labs, anechoic chamber and other facilities, including PWK's office. The air conditioned plant break room was added to the front of the building.

In Roy Delgado's Jubilee listening room...

post-10177-13819598259582_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616395136_thumb.jpg

Center rack:

Top-to-bottom: Emerson DVD player, Adcom GFP-565 Preamp, QSC RMX2450 amp, Electro-Voice (EV) DX38 24-bit, Sound Processor, 3 QSC DCS 3022 amps, QSC DSC 3422 amp (used for subwoofers).

post-10177-13819598265072_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616400656_thumb.jpg

As usual: Seadog (with camera) capturing the inside of a vintage Heresy, flanked by his two boys as Arkytype, looks on. Thanks so much for providing us with the nametags, Arkytype! Your efforts are much appreciated!

post-10177-13819598266442_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616402226_thumb.jpg

The Klipsch Plant break room. This is where we all gathered prior to the start of the tour. There were eventually between 30 and 40 people on the Friday, working, plant tour. It was called "working" beecause the plant was in full operation with workers on the assmbly line making Klipsch products. We were allowed to engage the workers and ask the questions, take pictures, etc. The Saturday plant tour was non-working. i.e.: The plant was idle with no workers present...

post-10177-13819598267852_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616403654_thumb.jpg

In the middle-back in the red shirt and light ballcap is Mr. Sanders and his wife (I don't recall his screen name) and in the red shirt in the foreground is Customsteve01...

post-10177-13819598272362_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616408054_thumb.jpg