Newbie to Klipsch :o)

bushwesl

Hey Everyone,

I'm a newbie here to the Klipsch community, and to Klipsch speakers as well! Let me give a brief disclaimer: I am very green when it comes to home theater/audio, so please be patient with me. I've been looking for a good used setup for some time now, and finally stumbled across a complete line of Reference speakers on ebay. Here's what I purchased:

RF-82's

RC-52

RS-42's

RW-12d

I don't think that I made out too bad for $1300.00 shipped to my door. Sadly, I've never owned Klipsch speakers before or ever heard them in person. I've basically gone off the cult-like following of the Klipsch name and reviews that everyone here has given, amongst other sites, and made an impulse purchase - surely not one that I'll regret.

First things first, what does everyone think of the speaker setup? This setup came with everything that I wanted, minus an RC-62 and an RSW series subwoofer. I think I'll be ok with the sub, but I plan on replacing the RC-52 with an RC-62. Any other criticisms/suggestions?

Also, in the past I have been a HUGE Sony fan and all my exisiting components are Sony - XBR9 TV, Blu-Ray Player, PS3, and my exisitng HT in-a-box (mildy embarrassing). With that said, I don't have a receiver YET to power these speakers like they need to be. To keep things consistent, I've really been eyeing the new ES line from Sony, either the 5400ES or the 5500ES. I know Sony isn't spokenly very highly of around here, but I'd like to know if anyone sees issues going with either of these receivers? Does anyone have any real world experience with either? Is 120 watts/channel sufficient?

Lastly, I know that the room layout/dimensions in which the speakers will be placed plays a factor in the sound quality produced. These will be placed in my living room, which is attached to my kitchen - it's an open floor plan with a vaulted ceiling. So it probably isn't ideal either, but I'm sure I'll make it work ;)

Any info/opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Wes

• Moderators

I am very green when it comes to home theater/audio, so please be patient with me.

Everyone starts out green. You've come to the right place. Lots of great people with a wealth of knowledge.

The RF-82 system is a fantastic system. It is sure to give you many years of excellent HT experience.

I think I'll be ok with the sub, but I plan on replacing the RC-52 with an RC-62.

That was the exact advice I was going to suggest. A few years ago, I went to Best Buy to listen to the RF-82's. They had it paired with an RC-52. Why BB didn't sell the RC-62, I have no idea. To be honest, it just couldn't keep up. The RC-62 will be a nice improvement over the RC-52.

I know Sony isn't spokenly very highly of around here, but I'd like to know if anyone sees issues going with either of these receivers?

I personally have not been much of a Sony Receiver fan. Sony makes excellent products, just not what I'm looking for in the receiver department. I've only heard the ES series once. I went to a local HT store and they had a projection system, Klipsch Speakers (not sure the models) all powered by a Sony ES system. Frankly, I walked out of there totally underimpressed.

Is 120 watts/channel sufficient?

120 watts is just fine to power your speakers.

Enjoy your new system Wes and welcome to the forums!

Bushwesl,

Welcome to the forum.

First off I would say you definitely scored.[Y] Good thought selling the RC-52 and getting an RC-62.

With the exception of the ES line, your are right to say Sony isn't most on the forums first choice when it comes to receivers/amplification. They are much better known for their TV's, PS3's,BD players,etc. Though I do think you will find a few fans of the ES line here. Without any first hand experience with Sony receivers(except for a vintage piece I have for sale), I think the two you are looking at should work just fine. If you feel the power is not enough after some time, ad a high current outboard amp to give it some clean power and headroom.

Bill

Haha... Yes, I am! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome[H] Oddly enough, the speakers that I've purchased are coming from FL as well. Is there something in the water down there that influences the purchase of Klipsch speakers?!?

Again, welcome to the forum, and your likely lifetime love of Klipsch. I would say you scored a great bargain, and I hope you enjoy it until the upgrade bug eventually finds you.

I wouldn't use any of the non-ES Sony receivers (don't trust quality and wattage ratings), but I think the ES line should be fine, and 120 wpc should be plenty, unless your HT is in an auditorium and/or you are a fan long-term hearing loss.

Welcome to the madness Wes! Looks like you got a fantastic deal, enjoy it!

As far as the RC-52 to RC-62 goes, that's a great idea. My only advise would be this... The "Upgraditis" bug struck me pretty hard when I first got REALLY into Klipsch (about a year ago). I originally purchased a RF-25/RC-35/Sub-10 set-up, and I really liked it. The problem was, I always wondered "what if"...

Within 3 months of purchasing my original set-up I had upgraded to my RF-82/RC-64/RT-10d set-up. Every speaker in my upgrade is a pretty significant jump, however, nothing compares to the difference the 64 made. It was like night and day. Now eventually my end-game is RF-63 or 83's, so when I found a GREAT deal on a 64 it was a no brainer.

I'm rambling a little, my point is this... If you are planning on upgrading anyway (RC-52----->RC-62), maybe look into getting the best center possible, if that's where you are going to end up eventually, it will save you money in the long run. You are obviously someone that relishes a great deal (as are most of the people on this great forum), if you are patient, a great deal on a 64 will come around. The 82's sound incredible with the 64 after some AVR tweeking.

Again, welcome and good luck!!

Jrod

I've basically gone off the cult-like following of the Klipsch name

Welcome to the cult!

The Grand Master will be initiating you after your hazing cerimony.

Once fully indoctrinated you will realize the way of Klipsch isn't a cult but in fact, the enlightenment of reality.

[8]