Sub Recommendations?

Saturn5

I'll be adding a sub to my home theater as my next upgrade and am looking for some suggestions on what would work well with my system.

My current setup is:

Front: RF-7 / RC-7

Surround: RS-62

Pre/Pro: Outlaw 970

Amp: Outlaw 7500

The obvious choice would be an RSW-15, but those are hard to find and from what I've heard, some parts are no longer available so if they need service, it may not be possible with OEM parts. I use the system primarily for movies, but music is also important. Probably 60-70% movies.

Any ideas on what would match well for this? Budget isn't really determined yet, but I'll say $2000 at the outside.

$2000

Used is fine. A Cherry RSW-15 is the top of my list for obvious reasons. I'd like to keep the price closer to $1000, but will consider more depending on what I'm getting for my money.

You could easily buy a used Velodyne HGS-18 for alot less, or look for a Velodyne DD-15 at that price. Both are alot better than an RSW-15

If you buy a Velodyne, make sure you pay to have it shipped freight, boxed on a pallet, or it will not arive safely.

Roger

If you buy a Velodyne, make sure you pay to have it shipped freight, boxed on a pallet, or it will not arive safely.

Yep , pallet is the only way to go .Posted Image I got this DD18 NIB for $3,150. shipped . They are great subs and since they've been around awhile you might be able to do better on the price . If I were to do it all over again I would get a Danly .

I would say for $2grand and under definately consider SVS. The Ultra 13 you can purchase brand spankin new directly from SVS for about $1699 and it crushes the $3 thousand dollar Velodyne. SVS is really hard to beat for the money and customer service is amazing. I wouldn't even consider a Velodyne over SVS. I've owned 2 Velos and they were ok with music but when it comes to movies the SVS absolutely smokes the Velo. Only one worth buyin from Velodyne is there flagship model but it's 400lbs. and costs $15000. Stick with SVS unless you wanna build your own. Only way you're gonna do better than SVS is by spending a insane amount of money or building your own and spending some decent cash on an amp.

So, there are lots of options for $2000. How about closer to $1000?

I'm considering as much as $2000 because I don't want to miss the possibility for something a lot better for just a bit more money, rather than saying $1000 or $1500 firm.

And for $1600, I find the Epik Conquest interesting, but I have to admit that's mainly because it's friggin huge. [:P] LOL

I'm just trying to educate myself and see what my options are. I need to soundproof my media room before adding the sub to keep the neighbors happy. [:o]

So, there are lots of options for $2000. How about closer to $1000?

I'm considering as much as $2000 because I don't want to miss the possibility for something a lot better for just a bit more money, rather than saying $1000 or $1500 firm.

And for $1600, I find the Epik Conquest interesting, but I have to admit that's mainly because it's friggin huge. Stick out tongue LOL

I'm just trying to educate myself and see what my options are. I need to soundproof my media room before adding the sub to keep the neighbors happy. Surprise

The conquest is a good choice for the money. I disagree with the previous poster about the SVS. The SVS has the output, but is more boomy and less accurate to my ears. He is talking the DD1812 sub, which is the same as a DD-18 and a DD-12 together. I have a pair of HGS-18IIs and a Klipsh KPT-684. I was going to buy an SVS-PB4 ULTRA at one time, but they stopped making them. The SVS is made here in Ohio as well.

I think the Conquest is a solid choice for the money.

Roger

I totally agree the epik is very nice and will out perform the svs but only by a fraction. But the epik is down right ugly and can't hold a candle to the SVS in Piano Gloss Black. SVS still wins by a mile if you plan on having your sub in viewing site. If looks don't matter then you might as well go with the all mighty Elemental Designs sub. Nothin beats it but WOW is it big and ugly. SVS in Piano Black is down right breath taking. [H]

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1281119522&/Klipsch-RSW-15-cherry-mint!

No affiliation. Just thought I'd pass along what looks like an amazing deal. I have had and heard the RSW-15 in a couple different rooms. In the correct environment, it is excellent with music. In a less than desirable room, you might look elsewhere. But for $650, you couldn't beat that with a stick!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to put my two cents out here. I drove across the state of Arkansas and picked up a Paradigm Servo 15 and love it best 450 i have ever spent. I have 3 of their subs in the house and have never had a problem. They just sound great. I bought all of mine on the used market from people that take care of their equipment. I would look for a Servo 15v2 or the great Paradigm sub 15. Best of luck on your search.

you certainly do not need a pallet
I've received tons of equipment without a pallet
they are only extra trouble and expense

bang for the buck performers are Epik and also the largest Parts Express Dayton kits (simple to make)

Gte the largest you can afford, you will love it

• 2 weeks later...

Fine choices for the money are...

ElementalDesigns and SVS, the ported subs offer more output per dollar than the sealed JL Audio,Velodyne or Paradigm.However there is a good deal better for your dollar would you be willing to go DIY(some woodworking experience,tools,time and place to build the sub...space to place the LARGE sub. If these are not on your list forget this option).

For $2000 I brutalise any ED,SVS,HSU and co sub with brutal ease. I get two Maelstrom 21`s , two Behringer 4000 power amps a ElementalDesigns sub EQ. Build a ported or..even sealed cabinet and laugh at the commercial offerings. I outdisplace the competition by a serious margin. But that is just me in my drive to have the most displacement.