Exile on Main St. reissued

bluesboy

Have any of you guys heard the new release of Exile by the Stones? It's got ten previously unreleased bonus tracks some of which sound pretty damn good considering they never made it onto an album. But the best thing to me is the sound quality that they were able to get out of the original tracks. I've always thought that Exile is one of the greatest rock and roll records ever made but the sound quality left much to be desired especialy played through big horns. I've been listening to this record off and on for 35 or so years and it was so cool to listen to this new version this weekend and hear stuff that I've never heard before. Old Buckster would have loved it. It's a shame he's not around to hear it.

Mine will be here Thurs. along with several others. Also an Oppo BRD player

Bluesboy, this is all your fault...plus a few too many beers. BUT, I think I'll have few regrets.

If the new player sounds as good as the 980 for 2 channel, I will have my 980 in the Garage section soon. If the sound isn't up to the 980, you won't hear a peep.

Randall

Tom the outputs on my 980 that I use are marked "frontmixed". My setup for music is 2-channel only. If you have separate outputs where one is marked front and another is mixed, I would assume that the front would be for your main speakers. I may have to hunt down my manual. I am only talking about the RCA jacks and not any of the other outputs. Mine sounds stellar piped through one of my Sansui's(plural police, please correct me if I'm wrong).

BTW, which Oppo did you get? I ordered the BDP-80 and though it won't be here until tomorrow, I have pretty much made my mind up to send it back to Amazon and get the BDP-83 instead. Main reason being the 83 uses Anchor Bay's VRS chip.

Hope this helped!!!!!!!!!

Randall

I bought the current reissue and wish I hadn't. I think the audio quality of the reissue is very slightly better than the 1994 reissue, but I have heard some critiques that it is overcompressed. It still has the jukeboxy sound of the original mixes.

The "bonus" tracks are mostly junk and sound like the performers were too drunk at the time and so later revisited the songs in moments of greater sobriety.

The Stones earlier reissues, while not as comprehensive as the Exile box, have stunning clarity in the remixes. I have CD Beggar's Banquet and It's Only ROck and Roll and find the difference from the original releases to be very pleasing.

If you are a 70s/80s rock person as I am- there is very little new stuff to be excited about nowadays- except maybe the black Keys or Dan Auerback. I will buy the Exile set and be happy at any table scraps that I may be able to find in this new mix. I am rediscovering blues and I am in the process of replacing my Jazz albums that some POS stole from my garage a few years back along with my Motown vinyl.