(Van den hul VS Oelbach ) do these make a difference (speaker wires)

Any engineers can comment on this, but isn't it difficult to get optimum values of all three specs in a specific cable?

Very easy. Use monoblocks and hook them to the speakers with inches of any wire you've got. Near zero L,C, and R.

But then you have long interconnects to deal with, pick your poison.

LoZ balanced lines may be run for a few hundred feet without frequency or level loss.

As long as the reciever's impedance is 20X the source's impedance, or greater, there is no significant loss, mostly because...

The current flow thru line level connections is very low.

I know that the loss through 10-15 feet of 12 ga. speaker wire is also insignificant, but for those who fret over such things, the monoblock hookup will remove all LCR worries.

is this a wise idea to spend more money on wires ?to get petty differences ?

i got the VDH wire at the rate of $3.0/foot (20 feet wire )

plz share ur experiences .

Of course it is ~ as long as you spend enough. And $3/foot is NOT expensive enough!!!! What kind of cheapskate are you? [:S]

So, let's bring back tone controls! And versatile ones too!

My first "high end" purchase was a Luxman integrated about 1972 with a set of Rectlinear floor standing speakers. The Rectilinears were moderate efficiency and almost perfect match for the 75 wpc Luxman. It sportea an active loudness control. When engaged, it continuously varied the response curve as the volume was changed. Worked like magic with the well-matched speakers. Of course, with AR's or Klipschorns it wouldn't have worked so well.

Ideally, such a control would itself be variable and based on Fletcher-Munson. You'd be able set it to the speaker you were driving.

Not going to happen, of course, but would be very nice.

Dave

Ideally, such a control would itself be variable and based on Fletcher-Munson. You'd be able set it to the speaker you were driving.

Centralab had just such a loudness control, with concentric knobs, and continuously variable compensation.

Several of the preamps in Martin Mayer's book High Fidelity (1958) had such continuously variable controls.

A 55 watt Yamaha integrated amp we bought inthe 80's to use with our VCR & TV had such controlls. It is still kicking & being used in a spare room.

I agree, with Klipschorns, you would want just a touch of loudness compensation at very low (mignight) volumes, so you would need a continuously variable control. But I'd be happy -- delerious -- if I had my old Luxman Bass and Treble controls back, even without Fletcher-Munson.

It seems we have moved backward in so many ways!

I had a Yamaha CA-800 from the mid 70's that had the variable loudness that followed the Fletcher-Munson curves. It did work very well. The only problemis that it would not correct the problems I have noticed with Sound King 12 ga wire. On certain of my speakers the Carol Command wire makes a noticable difference in clarity. The midrange and highs sound muffled in comparison. When I switch out to my Carol Command Silver coated copper (very hard to find anymore) wire there is a significant increase in clarity. Thewire was less than $1 a foot and depending on your system, can make a significant difference. It works very well between my Bel Canto Ref1000 amps and Khorns.

Tone controls or a DEQ2496 in digitial domain can correct for a bunch of misgivings in a room or speakers. It is just not the same as some cable changes.