Recommendation please on a bestbuy deal

pcho78

Hello,

I have a room 11' x 16'x 10' that I am trying to convert to a theatre room. Best buy geek squad has recommended for this setup.

Klipsch quintet-5 channel, samsung 840w 7.2 ch receiver, and klipsch 8" subwoofer for $999.

What I am looking for is something that will provide crisp, sharp sound with base and overall want to enjoy a surround sound like feeling for movies. I don't listen to music or watch movies with really loud. The geek squad that this would be adequat for this space.

My original budget was $2.5 to 3k for the audio system. I was surprised that this was all I was recommended. I might even consider adding two of the klipsch icon 2 way floorstanding speakers ($356 each) to make it into 7.1. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

should I not bother with the quintet and get a upgraded klipsch system altogether?

thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally do not know enough about the Quintet or Reference series of speakers; But;

I believe if your budget is 2.5-3K; you should spend 2.5-3K.

If you have room for the floorstanding speakers; etc, I say get the best system you can afford.

The quintet is a good system, but there are others for double the money new that should more than double the improvement.

My .02

Good Luck.

• Moderators

Are there any dealers that sell Klipsch in your area besides BB, if not I would use a on line dealer just make SURE there an authorized Klipsch dealer.

I have heard the Quintet's and they are nice but you can do much better with that budget, me I would spend about $500 on the receiver and the rest on speakers and just use #14 wire, nothing special there. Any wires you need can be had here for cheaper than most places and it's well made. http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

If you get the best speakers you can now you have a much better chance to not want to upgrade later. Also if possible get a 12'' sub, it takes a good bit of bass for movies, don't go cheap on the sub and center channel. Since your asking for opinions I would stick with 5.1, you can always get 2 extra speakers later, I don't see the point right now there's not much out there with 7.1 discrete channels.

IMO

i wouldnt buy anything from best buy. Also i dont think the samsung receiver would be very good. Do a little bit of research or buy something like the onkyo tx-sr707 for a receiver. Order your speaker wire and cables from www.monoprice.com. For speakers i would go with either a full icon setup or look for a local dealer that sell klipsch reference and get a rf-82 system

AS blu-bits said, go to monoprice.com for speaker wire. I got 100' worth of 12 guage to use for my surrounds (wire that I could use in my crawl space and through drywall) and I think I paid something like $16.99 or something ridiculous like that. And its amazing wire, I have enough left over that I'm going to use it to wire up my mains and center channel here fairly soon. Don't listen to best buy and spend $100 on speaker wire when you can get better stuff for 1/10 the price.

Also damn 2-3k to spend on a system, there's a lot better you an do than the quintet system in my opinion. I would start checking out the classifieds, you could probably put something SICK together for that budget. As others have said you can get a very high quality Onkyo receiver for around $500 or even a Yamaha for that price, and then you have all that money left over to spend on speakers.

Granted I got some of the stuff I have for free when my parents moved and for uber cheap since my brother worked for an electronics company that sold Klipsch, but shit I have spent NOTHING for this system and what I've gotten out of it couldn't make me happier.

RB-35s - free from parents when they moved

RC-35 - $125 shipped (used)

RW-10d - $300

S-1s - $85 shipped (used)

Yamaha RX-V665 - $395 open box deal

I mean look at what I spent and I've got a nice middle of the road set up. If I had your budget I would blow the doors off my house!

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I've got some searching to do... maybe I'll just get the tv and install from bestbuy folks. I've decided to go wtih 55" Samsung LED-LCD non3D 120hz. I am still not convinced about the 3D technology and various articles convinced me that 120 hz cannot be easily distinguished to 240hz.

Thanks again... I am sure I will have some questions soon.

• Moderators

Thanks again... I am sure I will have some questions soon.Idea

I would probably skip the 3-D thing also, let them get all the bugs out and let the prices drop, alot !

Get your TV set up and see what's left for audio and go from there.

Have fun

I would think that the audio system Best Buy is proposing would be the best allocation of your funds (for them$$). Take your time and do some research and you'll come up with a better solution. As far as the install goes, I'd do it myself. That's how you learn your equipment. Sure, it takes a little more time than having someone else do it and it may be a little confusing at first (we'll help you!) but if you have a problem, you won't have to call someone out to fix it. You'll know right where to go.

That's overpriced for what you are getting. You can get a better
system for that amount. There are deals around for klipsch home theater
package (HD500 + Pioneer/Yamaha receiver) around $600.

If you want better sound -

Klipsch RF-62s (around $650)
Klipsch RB-61 (around $450)
Klipsch RC-62 (around $400)
Klipsch Sub12 (around $300)
Denon AVR-1911 (around $500)

So for $2300 you get a real home theater that will give you excellent sound that will blow Quintets away. And those are mostly retail prices without any bargains or discounts, so you may be able to bring it down to less than $2,000

OR another way to go about this is to visit "Garage sales" section on this site and buy excellent speakers in mint condition for a fraction of the new ones.

For example I'm selling RF-62s, RC-35, RC-7 others have other speakers that you can match together for an awesome theater that will play music and movies like you've never heard them before (at least at home).

• Moderators

a very nice receiver at a great price.

Yamaha RXV765 $380 shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115197

That is a good deal, I have an older RXV 730, I would like that one, for the HDMI and TrueHd and DTS-HD Master Audio, looks nice.

I agree If at all possible set you TV up your self if you have to pay extra to do it, any questions can be answered here, this is the real geek Squad. [;)] I bet these forum members have set up more TV's and real Home Theaters than BB employees, without looking to make money off you.

a very nice receiver at a great price.

Yamaha RXV765 $380 shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115197

I know I'm partial to Yamaha receiver but damn that is a great buy. I have the RX-V665 and I love it and I got it for around the same price. I think Yamaha's are bulletproof, i have my RX-V520 for 12 years and it was playing for basically 24 hours a day (I leave the radio on during the day for my dog, don't ask lol) and it never skipped a beat. Now that's playing backup duty in the bedroom while the RX-V665 is powering my main HT setup and I'm loving it. I think the RX-V765 is either an updated model of my 665 or offers a few features that mine doesn't though I am not quite sure what they are. I need to look up the specs.

speaker prices from onecall.com

Klipsch RF-82 $549 each x2 ==> $1,098

Klipsch RC-62 $499

Klipsch RS-52 $389 each x2 ==> $778

total speaker cost is $2,375. they currently advertised 20% discount if you call in, so total after discount is $1,900

your complete 5.1 system would be:

speakers - $1,900

yamaha receiver - $380

eD subwoofer - $415

total $2,695 to your door. this is one heck of a starter system.

of course you can do much better if you have time and hunt for deals. but if not, this in my mind is a very good set up for your budget.

mbr311,

i just got the Ultra 10. couldn't cough up the additional $100 for the Ultra 12. i am a poor ***. :)

Love your system though, very nice setup. You'll have to give your impression of the Ultra 10, I wonder if it would be worth me selling my RW-10d and picking up either to Ultra 10 or 12. Hmm...I'm always thinking about buying and selling I really need to stop [:D]