Replaced my KL650's with LaScala

tragusa3

My RS62II's came in the other day. I've got them temporarlily in place. Due to the side ports, I drilled holes in the frame of the columns. Eventually, the column will be upholstered and the speaker hidden completely.

I have to say, the improvement to the system was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect it, but they really make a nice contribution! :)

So that's it...hope I don't buy another speaker for a looong time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Guys!

Peter, I'm hoping that's the final solution for the RS62's. I'm going to have to build some sort of frame that goes around them and also gets upholstered.

Dennie, no, I haven't....I want to do the caps, but was putting it off because, well....it doesn't have to be done. I do feel at times that they sound a bit like they're in a tub. I wonder if that's because the caps have gone off spec? Anyway, it will be one of my next few upgrades. Maybe one of you kind folks can talk me through doing it myself?

Thanks Guys!

Peter, I'm hoping that's the final solution for the RS62's. I'm going to have to build some sort of frame that goes around them and also gets upholstered.

Dennie, no, I haven't....I want to do the caps, but was putting it off because, well....it doesn't have to be done. I do feel at times that they sound a bit like they're in a tub. I wonder if that's because the caps have gone off spec? Anyway, it will be one of my next few upgrades. Maybe one of you kind folks can talk me through doing it myself?

Well then, you haven't heard what the La Scalas sound like then! You think you like them now, wait until you get them up to spec.!

I didn't think they could sound any better either. Boy, was I wrong! [:$]

I'm just sayin',

Dennie

PS I'm sure someone will walk you through it. I replaced the whole crossovers, so it was just a few screws to loosen, then tighten!

Let me add:

I wish someone would have told me to update the crossovers sooner. To be clear, I never asked. I just took it for granted that they sounded fantastic, not knowing they could sound much better.

So, I am that guy for you! [;)] LOL

Dennie

These are AA right?

Pretty easy and can be pretty cheap too.When I did mine in 2005, I considred these options from www.partsconnexion.com

1 Solen 62368 (13.0 mfd, 400V, PB1300) for US$5.25, and

2 Hovland 51707 (2.0 mfd, 100V, Speaker, 0.70" D x 2.25" L) US$22.83 each.
or
2 Auricap 62338 (2.0 mfd, 200V, .78"D x .90"L) US$9.95 each.

I went Solen and Auricap. Both crossovers for $50.

Dennie, you sound pretty encouraging about the improvement I can expect. And you're right, I'm currently left wondering how it could get much better! :) But I trust in you.

Peter, thanks for the info. My center is an AA, my left and right are AL. I know the AL's aren't preferred, but I'll probably stick with them. I can't tackle the caps right now, but I'll search you guys both out when I'm ready. I'm still in room construction with lots of budget going to fun things like sheetrock and carpet! Yippie!

Thanks for the photo Heli ! I see you're in Charlotte. I'm about an hour from the Charlotte airport. If you're ever out my way drop me a line....you can come critique my audio! It would be interesting to see if you and I are having similar experience with the Danley's. I heard one other room with twin Danley's and he wasn't getting as much out of them as I am.

Dennie, you sound pretty encouraging about the improvement I can expect. And you're right, I'm currently left wondering how it could get much better! :) But I trust in you.

I read recently (somewhere here) where one person described it as lifting a Vail off of his speakers. I described it as removing a blanket off of my 1979 La Scalas. I think we both had the same observations when we updated the crossovers.

I know, I couldn't imagine them sounding any better either! Ha Ha Ha! Believe it or not.....they will open up like someone lifted "something" off of your speakers! ....and the Bass? SOLID and FULL!!

Keep us posted and as you know, we'll/they'll walk you through the process! Gotta Love this place!!

Bob Crites website--------> CLICK HERE When ready! LOL

Oh and let me say, he is not the only one who has the parts or makes new crossovers. But that is who I used and I was/am thrilled with his and Michael's (his son) service, prices and business practices! [Y]

Dennie

I don't hear difference between cables, wires, amplifiers or even CD players. But swapping the caps on my (then) 27 year-old Klipschorns are very audible. The sound, as good as it was before, became more detailed. I actually turned the volume down by up to 10 dB listenning to jazz trios.

I don't hear difference between cables, wires, amplifiers or even CD players. But swapping the caps on my (then) 27 year-old Klipschorns are very audible. The sound, as good as it was before, became more detailed. I actually turned the volume down by up to 10 dB listenning to jazz trios.

Well said Peter!

Dennie

You guys make it futile to resist! :) I'll move it up to the top of my priority list. Stay tuned. I'll be calling you guys in on the project. I'd like to do it between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but have a feeling the holidays are about to make life crazy.

If my room would suddenly sound like a blanket had been lifted off the speakers, then it would be CRAZY good! It's already the best I've had or even heard. :)

C'mon over to Knoxville for an afternoon before you do anything.

Heck....bring one of your crossovers if you want. If you do, we can put your crossover into a 1979 LaScala. Next to it we can have my other LaScala with Al's Extreme Slope crossovers and do a side by side. We can do this outdoors to remove the room from the equation.

Next, we can configure a JubeScala with the huge 402 on top (I don't have the smaller 510) and you can see how signal aligned 2-way isn't a step forward, but rather a leap forward.

This isn't to bash anyone's crossovers nor LaScalas. I have two passive LaScalas and a third that will be a center channel JubeScala. Once you've heard the difference I would bet that you will prefer to save those pennies towards a larger upgrade than merely crossover upgrades.

Honest offer if you ever get so inclined. I'd wager lunch that Marty (Hobie1dog) might even want to come along.

Coytee, I'd enjoy the trip I'm sure! What side of Knoxville are you on? I'm about 45 minutes south of Asheville. My luck you'll be on the West side.

I'm sure I'll love any of the mentioned options, particularly the JubScala. I'm not going to have the budget to do something like that for awhile though. So I'll be living with stock LaScalas for awhile. I've been cut to half time at work and my room construction is sucking up all the money. You know, carpet, walls, electrical....on and on.