Help with Rear Speaker positioning.

consumer567

Hey everyone. Newbie on the site. I need help with the positioning of my rear speakers. I am not hearing them well in the present position. I have put up some images to gain some perspective to my set up and room situation. Like others my couch is up against the wall, and cannot be moved. I dont know if I should get some different speakers and sell these or simply mount the speakers in a differnt way.

I am new to this and have been reading lots to understand my set up better. Any suggestions would be great. My rear speakers are the sb2's.

15preview_p73100930.jpg?rev=0

preview_p73100940.jpg?rev=0

thanks

consumer.

Welcome to the forum....

How are your rear speakers set up, Large or Small? How are your RF-35 set up, Large or Small? Does your receiver have a mic to calibrate your speakers for you?

Only thing is you have the center and surrounds trying to keep up with the better main speaker, Reference line. If you don't have the auto adjust in your receiver then you will have to adjust the main speakers lower and the rear speakers higher. Everyone system is different and likes a different sound so you will have to play and adjust to your liking.

James

BTW, nice looking setup...

thanks for the info. my fronts are set to small and so are the backs. should the rears be set to large? also what mhz should i set my sub to? i currently have it set to 80. is the position of the rears done wrong? should they be facing down towards me when sitting?

its a starter set - i got the mains on sale and the rest as a package (speakers that is) i also moved the sub to be in between the blue chari and sectoinal. it was getting lost when up in the front corner beside the bookshelf.

the denon is horrible to adjust for a newbie like me. any suggestions would be great

Can you move your sectional and chair away from the back wall? From the looks of your pictures your side surrounds are in front of most of the seating area and your rear surrounds are directly above your head.

Doing that will let you hear your rear speakers better instead of all the sound firing over your head.

should the rears be set to large?

You might want to try this as the Reference speakers would have a little more output then the rears. The is the FUN thing about all this, try different setting for a few days and see what sounds good to YOU. That is all that really matters as one persons setting might not sound good in someone else's room.

also what mhz should i set my sub to? i currently have it set to 80.

You can really set the sub as high as it goes, that way you will get everything played thru it. Since I don't know how your receiver setting determines the cut off for the Large vs Small settings.

should they be facing down towards me when sitting?

If all else fails then I would try to direct the speakers more to the listening position. Like others have stated, to looks like the rear speakers are shooting right over your head while seated at the back wall. Maybe if you can find some stands that work better without so much shelf to block the sound and adjustable to find your needs.

the denon is horrible to adjust for a newbie like me. any suggestions would be great

I will try to look up that unit and see how it works to help you out any more, if needed.

Just remember, have fun and enjoy your setup. What sounds good to one person doesn't make it common law for everyone.

James

I am looking for some new mounts so i can get rid of the wooden floating shelves I currently have in there. To face the speakers to the sitting area shoul I mount them on the side walls up higher and face them down so they hit the seating area? I know that they wont be behind the seating position but at least they will not be firing over my head.

any thoughts? I saw these http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=10776 - monoprice has some like these too. They look like they could be mounted with the existing screws on the back of the speakers. I just worry about these speakers falling.

Before you purchase new mounts, I would experiment with angling and placement on the shelves.

I wonder if you placed them in the corners more and angled slightly in if they would sound better. (Kind of like corner loading a sub)....

Have you played with speaker calibration yet? You should be able to adjust the volume of each speaker. Sit where you will watch, and cycle through each speaker's pink noise. Try to adjust all of the surrounds to the same level heard....... Document your original settings so you can go back before changing.....

Do a search on the web to find the manual for your Denon if you do not have it already; then spend some time reading through the adjustments and functions your receiver has.

Have fun with it.

Good Luck.

If that were my set up, I might aim the rear speakers are the rear wall or into the corners. That way it will seem like the sound is coming from the back wall. Either that or go with wall mounted or in-wall di/bi-pole speakers, either mounted on the side walls or the back wall.

It is really tough to get the "surround sound" effect when the seating is up against the the back wall.

Keep us posted on your trials and Welcome to the Klipsch forum.

Dennie

You know what I was thinking these speakers are your 4th and 5th but they are your 6th and 7th for a 7.1 setup. These speakers should be on the back wall and if you use THX as a starting point you can just play with the location to see how they work best for you. Take a look here at the THX standard for 7.1 setup.

If you use that standard try putting both speakers on the window opening ledge. Try them next to each other centered in that ledge, you can even keep them together and move them left or right to see how it sounds. Also try them apart on the ledge and moving them around. Remember this is your setup and if it sounds good to you then that is all that counts.

any thoughts? I saw these http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=10776 - monoprice has some like these too. They look like they could be mounted with the existing screws on the back of the speakers. I just worry about these speakers falling.

That looks good or the one from MonoPrice is also good. What you want to look for is the weight capacity and when installing them hitting a stud or using a heavy duty wall anchor.

Does your receiver have the speaker setup function?

James

Another thought.....can you remove the cabinet on the right side of the room and spread your front speakers out? It is hard to tell if your left front speaker will fit behind the door or not, but if it does, it will make a big difference on your front soundstage.

preview_p73100940.jpg?rev=0

Right now, all of your front soundstage is coming from the screen, it would make a big/noticable difference to get them spread out and the front soundstage will fill the room, not just the screen. It made a big difference in my HT.

Just a thought.

You've got a great looking HT, BTW! [Y]

Dennie

As others have said, the rears are shooting above your head. But there is little rear content to hear anyway. You will get the much benefit by placing the side speakers closer to your seating position (i.e. further back in the room). Try moving your sectional forward by a few feet even if it's just tosee how it sounds.

Love the 60 inch display!

As others have said, the rears are shooting above your head. But there is little rear content to hear anyway. You will get the much benefit by placing the side speakers closer to your seating position (i.e. further back in the room). Try moving your sectional forward by a few feet even if it's just tosee how it sounds.

Love the 60 inch display!

Great point Peter, move the side surrounds back and maybe up above your heads and they will reflect off of the back wall, giving you the effect you are looking for and move those beautiful bookshelf speakers to a 2 channel set up somewhere else in the house.

Dennie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

Now with the addition of kids i was thinking of in wall speakers. they would probably go where the cuts are already for the plugs on the rear. i would remove the shelves and put in walls there. my question is, the Klipsch in walls are out of my reach. I thought that I could substitute some other brand for my rear surround. what are your thoughts on this as i dont want to ruin my setup but I a) do not like the bookshelves with the speakers on them, and i thought that perhaps they would be more flush and out of the way on the rears.

any thoughts would be well received. Thanks in advance as your advice really helps me out.

Dan