bookshelf speakers for surrounds

jrgreene1968

anybody running the rb series bookshelf speakers for surrounds? I was going to order a pair of the rs52,s but the wife is throwing a fit about it..she dont want any speakers on the walls..i dont know if the rs series can be stand mounted. Only other alternative would be a set of bookshelf speakers, or buy another set of towers..which i did consider a set of floorstanders..maybe rf62..whatcha think? any ideas?

thanks for the reply..i didnt know if the rs would sit on a stand, or if they was wall mounting only. I really would rather them be on the wall..but once again, she is throwing a fit[:D]...one of these days im gonna buy a different house, and have a room to myself, lol. 1 more quick question. Klipsch reccomends the rs52 to match my rf82/rc62 setup. Would the rs62 be that much better? worth the extra price?

thanks

rs-42s would work fine, rs-52s are recommended. If its only a $100 or more for the rs-62s i may consider those. I usually find that rs-62s are a little overpriced. I believe you can pick up rs-42s for around $350 from an authorized dealer online. I think hanging the speakers on the wall is a clean and out of the way option. I think it is much better looking than having stupid speaker stands in the way. Also if you are actually using speaker stands there is always the chance that they will fall off of them.

Depending on what your use is, you could consider a matching pair of floorstanders. If you like to listen to alot of music another pair of 82's or a pair of RB-81's would be ideal and they would sound great for movies as well. If you are mostly movies then I would suggest that you look at the RS series either the 42's or the 52's would sound awsome.

If you have the ability making some DIY stands are pretty easy and cost less than buying a decent set online, I made these over a weekend and weighted them to keep them from tipping, even with two little ones I never had a problem of them tipping.

~ross

post-33870-1381960091946_thumb.jpg

post-33870-13819619465572_thumb.jpg

thanks for the replies..we very seldom listen to music in the house(my nusic setup is in my truck, lol) this is mainly for movies and tv watching. Im still undecided..about ready to just order some rs52,s and hang them up, and when she walks in say thats the only way they will work[^o)]..just my luck i would gt the bookshelfs and one fall off the stand, and cause me to have a stroke! I really like the rs62, but cant see paying 1k for surrounds.

1 more quick question though. I know surrounds are reccomended to be about 1ft above ear level..if i get the rs52,s and say i hang them 3-4ft above ear level..still sound good? or will the sound be going over our heads?The way our room is setup, 1ft above ear level is gonna look weird, and make them stick out like a sore thumb...thanks in advance..

Depending on what your use is, you could consider a matching pair of floorstanders. If you like to listen to alot of music another pair of 82's or a pair of RB-81's would be ideal and they would sound great for movies as well. If you are mostly movies then I would suggest that you look at the RS series either the 42's or the 52's would sound awsome.

I listen to alot of multichannel music (converting 5.1 to 7.1) and having towers as side surrounds and mini towers in the rear is an awful lot of fun! [:P]

That being said, using the same configuration for movies and having the 5.1 material being matrixed into my rear speakers for 7.1 is more preferable than having WDST speakers in the side surround position,in my HT...Then again, if one was to only run 5.1, I can see where the RS models could work better.

....1 more quick question though. I know surrounds are reccomended to be about 1ft above ear level..if i get the rs52,s and say i hang them 3-4ft above ear level..still sound good? or will the sound be going over our heads?The way our room is setup, 1ft above ear level is gonna look weird, and make them stick out like a sore thumb...thanks in advance..

You may be able to angle them down mounting a slanted peice of wood to the wall and then the RS-52 to that...Then again, with their design you may not need to.

....1 more quick question though. I know surrounds are reccomended to be about 1ft above ear level..if i get the rs52,s and say i hang them 3-4ft above ear level..still sound good? or will the sound be going over our heads?The way our room is setup, 1ft above ear level is gonna look weird, and make them stick out like a sore thumb...thanks in advance..

You may be able to angle them down mounting a slanted peice of wood to the wall and then the RS-52 to that...Then again, with their design you may not need to.

I agree that you might consider a slight downward angle, JMO

~ross

It sounds like size is somewhat of a concern. I've read several people on here who have had both the RS42 and 52 and they've said they noticed very little difference between the two. I'd suggest going with the 42s, smaller and less expensive with the 52s and a very capable surround speaker.

• Moderators

I am currently using the RS-52's on the sides in my 5.1 system and I absolutely love them. I previously had the RB-35's mounted in the back of the room and hardly ever heard them (they were also mounted too high). Replacing the RB-35's with the RS-52's and mounting them lower and on the sides of my room, it was a HUGE difference.

I agree that you probably will not hear $300 worth of difference between the 52's and 62's. I was fortunate and picked up a pair of RS-52's on Craigslist in great condition for $250.

rs-52_5.jpg

im using rb-61's as my rear surrounds and upgrading to rs-52's for my side surround, mainly because the listening position of the 61's is a lot closer, where i watch my movies and love the sound. I have listened to the 42's and 52's and it really is comes down to what you can afford because i cant tell a difference between the two thats why i might just got with the 62's myself since they are biggest difference in sound to me.

I bought the 62's a couple of weeks ago and LOVE them! I demo'd the 42's

and 52's at a retail store and IMO there is a HUGE difference in sound

between the 42's and the 52'. After checking the net for prices I was able to buy the 62's for a small difference vs the 52's . I

think that you would be happy with either the 52's or the 62's. Good

luck and enjoy whichever you decide to purchase.

I bought the 62's a couple of weeks ago and LOVE them! I demo'd the 42's and 52's at a retail store and IMO there is a HUGE difference in sound between the 42's and the 52'....

I am not discounting your opinion, but wonder when comparing did you have the speakers level-matched so you were listening to them at the same SPL?

well me and the wife had a long talk about the speaker situation..she just dont want wall mounted speakers period..and said she would actually rather have towers for surounds than bookshelves..its her house to, so i gotta give in, sooooooooooo, im going to order a set of floorstanders for surrounds...is there much difference between the rf52 and rf62 sound wise..i dont really care about the cost difference, if its worth it..thanks for all the replies, i just hate not being able to demo something and buying blind..yall know klipsch way more than me

Thanks

well me and the wife had a long talk about the speaker situation..she just dont want wall mounted speakers period..and said she would actually rather have towers for surounds than bookshelves..its her house to, so i gotta give in, sooooooooooo, im going to order a set of floorstanders for surrounds...is there much difference between the rf52 and rf62 sound wise..i dont really care about the cost difference, if its worth it..thanks for all the replies, i just hate not being able to demo something and buying blind..yall know klipsch way more than me

If it were me, I would match the mains with 82's, I had a setup just like that before I switched to Heritage, and it really sounded awsome eventually I bought a set of RB-81's for rear surrounds, and it was sweet. If you are looking at the 52 vs. 62's well then I would go with the 62's. They will match up better with the mains than the 52's will. If you ever did decide to get another set of 82's as surrounds then move the 62's to rear surround duty and sit back and try to stop grinning the next time you watch that fav. movie of yours. [;)]

~ross