Changed from Heritage to Reference, need amp but which one

USNRET

f you lived a little closer, i would be able to make you a dealBig Smile, neither one of us would do to good, after ups gets there share though, lol

Where you b? I plan on making a trip to NE Texas for a HS reunion 1st of Oct. Hope to anyway, seems all my trips home get cancelled here lately.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about this amp? Have a swag on current value?

http://www.carversound.com/carver-amplifiers/a-753x/

Ok time for my 'opinion'. Understand that this is based on my new living arrangements and rooms mean everything.

I don't like the 83s as much as the Belles overall in my crappy room but hear me out. The Belles were ok for 5.1 DVD/DTV concerts but just made a "flood of sound". In movie mode, they (Belles) did not deliver a wide screen effect of moving left to right or vice-versa. I did however like the center voicing for dialog.

My wife has serious hearing loss in her left ear (has had 3 inner ear rebuilds that did not work, call her deaf in that ear) and doesn't do so well in the other ear. She has remarked that with the new setup she can hear dialog better and rather than sound bouncing from everywhere she hears distinct locations.

I get to go hear my other Belles in the 2 channel chamber and she gets to hear TV better so no loss for me AT THIS HOUSE. Now I am looking for an amp that might make the 83/64 front ummm...'Come Alive'? Yeea , I want the cake and eating too.

Interesting comments. I thought maybe now would be the appropriate time for me to chime in on this point. I can certainly see your point. The Belles for music are hands down the winners... in two channel and various 5.1 audio formats. I have only watched part of one movie on the Belles and have not fully calibrated them yet... but it is possible they may not be as good as the 83/64 combo was in my room either for movies, my final judgement is still out. I will say that the "separation" may not be as good (that is probably a function of you and I having 3 Belles spread out across a 10'-11' area only) but the panning is seemless from left to right as far being one cohesive sound (probably a function of basically 3 identical speakers vs. the 83/64 combo).

The bottom line to me is this... as I say with all speaker combinations I have had, I like them all, they are just different. I will also say the Belles are one of the most gorgeous speakers I have owned (or seen). Classic beauty. The 83/64 combo of yours across my front was certainly a much "cleaner" look.

Also, as far as your Carver amp question, if you can get it at a decent price, I am sure it is worth it. I have owned several Carver amps and they all performed vary well on anything you throw at it. My personal favorites would be some of the ones that are solid state but sound like tubes (supposedly)... the "t" versions.

There you have it folks. Two Klipsch guys with similar space constraints and our thoughts on how they sound and fit.

If I were still a single guy and/or had the proper dedicated large room the Belles would be the winner. If you need to make a speaker 'work' around rooms and wives then perhaps the RF series may be for you.

It has been stated many times before that the room makes the difference. Too bad we can't audition all the choices in our abodes. It will take me some time to determine if the RF series are as sensitive to the powering equipment as the Belles or if they are more forgiving.

Anyone know anything about this amp? Have a swag on current value?

http://www.carversound.com/carver-amplifiers/a-753x/

Average price of the A-753X is currently $750. The lowest recorded recently is $640, the highest was $880.

Carver site! has a database of current reported pricing on most Carver, Sunfire and Phase Linear equipment. There are also user manuals, service manuals, and any known issues listed on many pieces of equipment.

goto: http://thecarversite.com/ and look around if you are interested.

I know this isn't a popular option but to anyone considering an xpa-5 you might be better off selling your avr and getting an onkyo 805. It was tested at a like 160w at 8phms and those extra few watts won't be noticable.

Well what your not considering is that its not so much the watts that make a difference its that with separates you will also pick up more dynamics along with a wider sound stage . Im running a Pioneer Elite 94 AVR with a rated 140 wpc and was concerned what I would gain by going to a XPA-3 and I noticed wright away better clarity, separation even at lower listening levels . I highly reccomend separates to anyone with any second thoughts like I had but hearing is believing .Going to a xpa-3 was one of my best and rewarding upgrades.

Yes the Pio is "rated" that high but pio NEVER test that high. also many 805 owners have purchased xpa's and returned or sold them because they offer NO sonic benfit. So with the 805 having the strongest amp/power section of any reasonably priced AVR in the HDMI era, it is sort of different from anything else on the market.

I am just very money conscious, if one has the money then I would go with sunfire over emotiva from my reading but thats just my reading not listening. Also you can find acurus amps for good value.

Yes the Pio is "rated" that high but pio NEVER test that high. also many 805 owners have purchased xpa's and returned or sold them because they offer NO sonic benfit. So with the 805 having the strongest amp/power section of any reasonably priced AVR in the HDMI era, it is sort of different from anything else on the market.

I am just very money conscious, if one has the money then I would go with sunfire over emotiva from my reading but thats just my reading not listening. Also you can find acurus amps for good value.

The Onkyo has one of the worst track records out there for reliability and running hot along with many other issues and as far as the Pioneer being under rated well have any links ? Thats as far from the truth as you can get its actually known as a power house one of the AVR's that does meet the rated power rating . You should do more research before posting my friend http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/pioneer-vsx-94txh/first-impressions-build-quality btw you better have a fire extinguisher near by for your 805 ; ) and on a side note there are many happy EMO owners out there more than not myself being one of them and thats not from reading but from being a owner.

I have done hours and hours of research, maybe you should read some 805 owners threads and published test reviews not some BS subjective reviews.

Also emotiva reviews always sound fishy to me... Find one owner who had a reciever that truly met its specs who was blown away by the change. 99% of AVR's do not come anywhere close to spec, heck 2/3 of spec is considered very good nevermind 120% which the onkyo hits. For the money emotiva is nice but there are other options, some cheaper and others better for the same money.

Reactions like yours are the reason why much of the negative press about brands like emotiva is kept to private messages because most people want to avoid conflicts with over zealous owners who can't deal with their purchase possibly not being god gift to audio. Being willing to take on arguments I have gotten some bad feedback about brands that no one has the gumption to review negatively in public. Being a prick has its benefit...

I have done hours and hours of research, maybe you should read some 805 owners threads and published test reviews not some BS subjective reviews.

Also emotiva reviews always sound fishy to me... Find one owner who had a reciever that truly met its specs who was blown away by the change. 99% of AVR's do not come anywhere close to spec, heck 2/3 of spec is considered very good nevermind 120% which the onkyo hits. For the money emotiva is nice but there are other options, some cheaper and others better for the same money.

Reactions like yours are the reason why much of the negative press about brands like emotiva is kept to private messages because most people want to avoid conflicts with over zealous owners who can't deal with their purchase possibly not being god gift to audio. Being willing to take on arguments I have gotten some bad feedback about brands that no one has the gumption to review negatively in public. Being a *** has its benefit...

Before you pollute this thread like you have on other forums i've seen you on im going to let this thread take its proper course in respect to the thread starter . Your posts are not even worthy of a response and my apologies to other forum members for even responding to your nonsense .

XPA-3 is being delivered today by one of the Emo forum members. I'll drive the rears with the Denon AVR for a while.

Again let us know when you have it hooked up and also keep in mind sometimes it will take time to get adjusted to the new sound and dynamics. Let us know if it helps. I think your going to like it like many others have : )

TheFactor, Goonstopher,

While you two are very welcome on this forum, slinging mud is not how most of us operate. Please keep the correspondence civil and be open to a wealth of information from very informed members. Please use the PM system if you must continue your conflict. Remember there are subjective and objective responses here and members with brand loyalties(most here just happen to love klipsch) that are not necessarily the same as yours.

Bill