subwoofer ideas

JasonJCarney

Wow! I was interested in that build, but now I see it isn't for a beginneer! Very nice work!

This was my first build of anything other than basic enclosures. It's really not that hard, and the instructions for the build are quite clear. Slightly time consuming, but you really can't go wrong for the price. I spent about $200 for a pair drivers, then all you need is an amp(or two) and a few sheets of plywood. The only thing that really competes for home audio are the dts-10s, which is another horn (tapped, vs front loaded, but also unavailable as a kit anymore and going for thousands built). These things go so loud and clean its ridiculous.

With 100w of total output (50 to each sub) I was hitting 125db uncorrected on a radio shack meter at my listening position which is 15ft from the subs.

They're also incredibly flat down to 19hz in room after correction from multeq xt. I have uploaded agraph of some rew sweeps. That was as loud as I could get using REW, and the top sweep was clipping my input.

rew graph

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. If you had to pick which one would you go with? I was thinking about the sub-12 cause it can be had for $280 but just not sure how good it is.

The Sub 12 is a pretty good sub and $280 actually isn't a bad price. It hits hard and low (I don't think its going to hit below 20hz if thats what you're looking for) and its pretty big too. My friend has one and it fills his game room rather easily. Me personally I have a sub 10 in my bedroom and its also a good sub. I also have another Sub 10 up front in my movie room temporarily while I build up a new system up there and once I placed it in the corner it impressed me with window rattling bass....literally..... Hits hard and low as well but it is a little smaller and doesn't quite get as low as the Sub 12 of course. But a Sub 12 in a corner is a beast (which is where my friend has it).....and IMO can't be beat for under $300 unless you build your own.... but all of those other brands that were mentioned are great as well and would be great subs to save up for.....thats what I'm doing. Building my theater room one step at a time. I plan on getting the SVS PB13 Ultra.....which is def out of your price range right now ($1800 shipped) and mine as well so I'm being patient and saving. That'll probably be the last piece I buy for my home theater....

I'm still looking for a sub to go with my Belles. Unfortunately the DSP-1400 doesnt have a speaker level input anymore. In fact none of the new paradigm subs have a speaker level input. I'm a bit wary buying from an internet store. So that rules out SVS etc. I've heard good things about the Sub 12 as well, but I can't get this model anymore. The replacement is the SW-450 of which I've posted about. I'm borrowing one this week to have a listen.

If this sub works okay, I'll buy it. Recently I've started to move away from spending too much money on fancy hi fi stuff. I borrowed a REL Strata. It sounded okay but for the money, it didn't really keep up with the Belles. I need something with some punch. I don't want to spend money on boutique brands with a fancy finish. After all, the sub only has to go woof, woof a few times to add some depth to my Belles for movies and some music. And it's not rocket science to make an inexpensive sub sound good. So it looks as though Klipsch will be selling me a new sub...

I'm still looking for a sub to go with my Belles. Unfortunately the DSP-1400 doesnt have a speaker level input anymore. In fact none of the new paradigm subs have a speaker level input. I'm a bit wary buying from an internet store. So that rules out SVS etc. I've heard good things about the Sub 12 as well, but I can't get this model anymore. The replacement is the SW-450 of which I've posted about. I'm borrowing one this week to have a listen.

If this sub works okay, I'll buy it. Recently I've started to move away from spending too much money on fancy hi fi stuff. I borrowed a REL Strata. It sounded okay but for the money, it didn't really keep up with the Belles. I need something with some punch. I don't want to spend money on boutique brands with a fancy finish. After all, the sub only has to go woof, woof a few times to add some depth to my Belles for movies and some music. And it's not rocket science to make an inexpensive sub sound good. So it looks as though Klipsch will be selling me a new sub...

Yes I totally understand where you're coming from. We all have different tastes. I'm not that interested in great cherry finishes etc but its a plus for the WAF, lol. I'm in the same boat. Never bought from a online only dealer but they all have so many great praises and people have consistently been able to get down as low as 10hz or 15hz in their room with those subs. I've never had anything go that low at home and would love to experience it.....so I will take a leap of faith hence a very expensive one but at least they have great customer service and return policies......but back to the subject at hand I totally see your point of view. HiFi can get very expensive.....are you set on buying new? Because someone in the Garage Sale section of this forum may have a Sub 12 for sale or even Craigslist.....and of course eBay has them as well......and eBay actually still has some new in the box for around $300.....I was just wondering because I haven't personally heard the 450 yet but I know its only a 10" sub.....nonetheless if its anything like my Sub 10 it won't be a slouch.....but if you REALLY want that impact then look online. Because I believe all of the brick and mortar stores have eliminated their Sub 12 stock by now.

I'll start another thread soon, but I'll soon be building either an THT or something that combines as a second-row stage. I am taking a carpentry class and have to have plans of something to build on the first day. I think the THT would be a good build for a supervised beginner in a fully-equiped shop. And I'll get a good sub out of it too!

none of the 10 or 12 inch subs youre listing will reach 10-15 hz with any kind of authority. ie: unusable

LOL true but I already noted that.....in order to hit that low you have to spend alot more than $300 IMHO unless you build your own. But me personally even though I know you get more bang for your buck from DIY I like being able to depend on a manufactor to troubleshoot and fix my sub not to mention I don't have the required tools or skills or time to build a sub. But your subs do look impressive. But I wouldn't call anything that can't hit 10 or 15hz unusable......I wish you were nearby because I do want to experience those lows before I buy my SVS......

none of the 10 or 12 inch subs youre listing will reach 10-15 hz with any kind of authority. ie: unusable

LOL true but I already noted that.....in order to hit that low you have to spend alot more than $300 IMHO unless you build your own. But me personally even though I know you get more bang for your buck from DIY I like being able to depend on a manufactor to troubleshoot and fix my sub not to mention I don't have the required tools or skills or time to build a sub. But your subs do look impressive. But I wouldn't call anything that can't hit 10 or 15hz unusable......I wish you were nearby because I do want to experience those lows before I buy my SVS......

I had a pair of a7s-650s before I built the THTs. That's (4) 13av.2 drivers (13", 28mm xmax) in sealed enclosures with 2600 watts of power. A single THT was louder and sounded better =] Horn subs are where its at imho.

• Like 1

NYT...."unuseable"? Really? I saw the pictures of your HT.....perhaps you have a better sub idea for $300 range?

I missed this reply for some reason.

Yes, none of the 10 and 12" subs you listed will provide any kind of useful output at 10-20hz. I don't believe there are many (any?) commercial options at this price range with decent output.

You can build a THT for under 300 (Driver is 130, plus 2-3 sheets of ply), or if space is limited, build a few of the anarchy 25hz tapped horn and place strategically.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238398

• Like 1

I had a pair of a7s-650s before I built the THTs. That's (4) 13av.2 drivers (13", 28mm xmax) in sealed enclosures with 2600 watts of power. A single THT was louder and sounded better =] Horn subs are where its at imho.

I've never heard a horn sub before. Are there any commercial horn subs or do you have to build them? I was just wondering bc if there is a commercial horn sub then maybe....just maybe I can hear it at a showroom nearby. What are the specs of the horn subs? The advantages? Is it pretty much like the horn tweeters? Very efficient?

I've never heard a horn sub before. Are there any commercial horn subs or do you have to build them? I was just wondering bc if there is a commercial horn sub then maybe....just maybe I can hear it at a showroom nearby. What are the specs of the horn subs? The advantages? Is it pretty much like the horn tweeters? Very efficient?

The benefit is high efficiency for the tuned range of the horn, and built in filters due to the folds. There are some commercial horn subs, but they wont be available in a show room to demo. Lots of pro-audio gear uses horn loaded subs.

Notably, there is the Danley DTS-10, which is a tapped horn, that was a big hit when it was sold as a DIY kit. JTR also has some front loaded horns I believe as well called the growlers and captivators? JBL has quite a few, but again, they're for pro audio.

Due to the size, you won't really see many horn subs as a commercial offering. However, if you're not opposed to DIY, for a slightly more complex build, there are huge gains to be had. I can bury the needle on my radio shack meter without the subs even breaking a sweat with dual THTs at my listening position which is 4-5 meters from the subs. I use the terminator salvation gas station scene as a demo, and it shakes the entire house (and this is with the subs and couches on a concrete slab). It feels like the huge robot is stomping around next to you, your hair and clothes move. It's really something, and very cheap to build.

• Like 1