Sub Y adapter help

muslenutz

I have a Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer, Im running it with a Yamaha RXV596. Line out to left and right input on the sub. My splitter broke, do I need to use the splitter. I only used it because it came with the monster sub hookup kit. My amp is set for bass output only thru my sub, setting is large in the amp for the mains.

Any help would be appreciated.

actually Klipsch recemmonds using a y adapter. the reason is how the crossover is designed. if you use just the LFE input (white) the subs thinks "i have 2 inputs, 1 is used, so the signal is cut in half". if you use the Y adapter, the sub thinks, "i have 2 inputs, 2 are used, i have 1 complete signal".

i know it sounds funny, but i have called klipsch about it and Elemental Designs. both people told me all the reasons why it does it and that i should use it. you can get a good Hard Y adapter at monoprice.com for .60 cents. try it both ways, see if you can hear a difference.

... if you use just the LFE input (white) the subs thinks "i have 2 inputs, 1 is used, so the signal is cut in half". if you use the Y adapter, the sub thinks, "i have 2 inputs, 2 are used, i have 1 complete signal". ...

To put it in other words, many sub manufacturers state that by using a Y splitter there is a switched 3dB-6dB gain at the plate amp. Such gain may or may not be useful. In my case it is, but that is because I have to run my subs at such a low level (due to massive output) that the extra gain helps in triggering them to activate on the incoming signal. Without the Y adaptor I generally need to manually turn the subs on (I have two).

The extra output a Y adapter will get you can also be accomplished by turning up the gain control on the sub or the subwoofer output level in your receiver. Its not like your magically adding more potential output to the sub. It has an amplifier and driver that are limited in output and will only play so loud.

If you put two gas pedals in your car will your top speed increase?

I know that when my subs are set at realistic levels (around 5%-7% of available output) the Y adaptors allow my subs to trigger on and without the Y adaptors they do not trigger. Period. Read into it what you like but it's a fact.

That is one useful benefit of having a hotter signal. Many subwoofer companies do say that you're not harming anything by leaving your subs in the 'On' rather than 'Auto' position. Then even at low listening levels you're always guaranteed that your sub will be doing its job.

I know that when my subs are set at realistic levels (around 5%-7% of available output) the Y adaptors allow my subs to trigger on and without the Y adaptors they do not trigger. Period. Read into it what you like but it's a fact.

I think he's saying that using the Y will not alter the maximum acoustical output of your sub. Your sub turns on sooner because the amp sums the 2 signals from the Y adapter. It's the same thing as using one input and increasing the signal from your receiver. Your subs will trigger sooner in either scenario more quickly than with a single cable.