Did I get a good deal on this Klipsch setup?

mjgptdawg

I posted around a month ago concerning my interest in a new home theatre setup. I was convinced not to get the Klipsch HDT-1000 and Yamaha RX-V567 for my basement that I am finishing as I type. Glad I took your advice, as this would have been nowhere near enough room-filling sound for my entire basement.

So I searched Craigslist and I bought this tonight:

2 RF-3 II Floorstanding Speakers

RC-3 II Center Channel

2 RS-3 II Surrounds

KSW-12 Subwoofer

plus he threw in his old Yamaha receiver, RX-V2200.

I got all this for $500. Did I get a good deal? All is in great condition, a couple chips in the subwoofer, and a couple broken pieces for where the grill attaches on a couple of them.

I figured this would be one heck of a setup to start, especially since I didn't have the money to pay 2k plus for a good system right now.

I didn't even want the receiver, but plan on upgrading it with the newer models that include HDMI inputs, Blu-Ray, 3D, etc.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I too think I got a steal.

However, I finally hooked it all up today, and realized that one of the RF-3 II's appears to have both woofers blown. How much do you think it would be to replace these through Klipsch? The guy is a very honest, family man type and not an audiophile, so probably had no idea they were blown, and I couldn't tell at the time either because he only had it hooked up to an FM station.

Anyway, what would the cost of these woofers be to fix/replace or do I just have to contact Klipsch?

Thanks

• Moderators

Easiest thing would be to call Klipsch Parts tomorrow. They can tell you the cost of replacement woofers. You might get lucky and find someone on the forums that has some they can sell you. Try puting a WTB (Want to Buy) ad in the Garage Sale.

How do you know they are blown? It is not uncommon to have one of the gold plated jumpers loose between the speaker terminals on the back, which would cause there to be no sound out of either the tweeter or the woofers. Just thought I would throw that out there in case this was just a simple "oops" type of fix. The woofers are very inexpensive from Klipsch if I remember right, about $60 a piece shipped?

Well the RF-3 II that doesn't work actually doesn't have the gold plated jumpers on them, must have been missing.

However, I am getting sound from it from the tweeter, it's just the 2 woofers that don't move.

Could this still be because the gold plated jumpers are missing? I will swap out the jumpers from the one that is working to the one that is not and see if this does the trick.

If not, I assume the woofers are blown, and will get a replacement.

You're right on the price. I called them today, and they are about $60 apiece minus shipping.

You have to have either the jumpers or a short run of speaker wire connecting red to red, black to black. If you are a purist you can call Klipsch and see if they have the jumpers available, otherwise just connect a couple inches of speaker wire as mentioned.

If you don't you will only get sound from either the tweeter or the woofer but not both.

Thanks for all your help guys. This was indeed the issue. I did not have the gold jumpers, I just cut some speaker wire and ran it between the two and it now works beautifully.
And to think, I was about to spend $150 to have them send me 2 woofers.

And you would have been frustrated because it still wouldn't have solved your problem! This is a great forum!

It was a simple fix. But now there's another problem entirely.

With the recent finish to our basement, it has come to my wife's attention that the back speakers will look too gawdy hanging from the wall, and the whole system might be too big for her liking. She wants a "Bose-size" home theater setup.

If I end up having to sell this system, what is a comparable system I can look into that will satisfy my wife but give comparable sound?

I may want to try to keep the 2 RF-3 II's and the center channel, and just place 2 small surround speakers in the back. If I do, what would you recommend so it sounds good with the rest?

And if I have to get rid of the whole thing, what is a system I can find for around 1k or less that will do the job (perhaps I can keep just the center channel too)

Any help would be appreciated.

...the whole system might be too big for her liking.

"Might be." Try it out for a while before making any snap decisions. Chances are you won't find a deal like you just found for a while.

She wants a "Bose-size" home theater setup.

[+o(] It would be a downgrade.

I may want to try to keep the 2 RF-3 II's and the center channel, and just place 2 small surround speakers in the back.

Hopefully you can at least keep your frontstage. I refuse to recommend anything for surrounds because you have the correct ones. [:D]

• Moderators

She wants a "Bose-size" home theater setup.

Tell her you will buy her one for the upstairs.

If I end up having to sell this system, what is a comparable system I can look into that will satisfy my wife but give comparable sound?

Sad to say but you can't get equal sound with tiny speakers. It's mere physics. Size does matter when it comes to speakers.

I agree that I can't match the sound with small back speakers. But this is going to be our entertaining area for her family, and I'm just not sure I can convince her to keep the surrounds for the back.

I'd appreciate recommending anything that might come close to matching.

I think I can convince her to potentially keep the front speakers.

As for the comment about buying her one for the upstairs, well she just simply doesn't care. She doesn't even need surround sound. She's fine with the TV sound.