What is a good tuner at a reasonable price?

HOGFAN

I just picked up a Sansui AU-717 integrated amp the other day and would like to find a good tuner to mate with it at a reasonable price. I hear the TU-717 is the perfect match, but I have not been able to find one much below $200. I am looking to spend around $100 or so.... maybe less, if that is possible. I listen to the radio very little, but certainly need to be able to when I have an interest. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, Hogfan

The Sony is incredible out of the box. If you've got any HD stations in your area you'll really enjoy it. I sent mine to Radio X Tuners and had some mods done. It hangs onto radio stations like a pit bull. Most of the stations I listen to are 90 or so miles away, if it weren't for that, I probably would have just left it stock.

Research the Sangean HDT-1X. I know, it's probably a brand you've NEVER heard of unless you followed Ham Radio.

Sangean has made a number of exemplary FM and SW receivers over the years. The HDT-1X is a broadcast monitor.

It has an analog tuner section to die for, as well as HD reception. Unlike other tuners, you can opt out of HD and force the tuner to take the analog signal.

It also has a SPDIF digital out, so you can pair it with an outboard D/A converter, or, record the digital stream to a computer!

-- Jim

I second the punker X mod Sony option. The Sony unit actually sounds terrific stock and I believe is only $49.00.

If not, I have a Kenwood KT-815 tuner that I might be willing to let go for $100.

I used to have AU717/TU717s driving LaScalas....a long long time ago (bought everything new)...this is bring back some memories.

Good old tuners don't seem to have much demand these days (with a few exceptions). I have a pair of wood case 1970s Yamahas that I picked up for around $30 each and they are pristine and sound very nice. I also have a Sangean HDT-1X which is great for HD radio and has the plus of a digital out which i feed through my DAC or run to a DAT machine if I ever want to record a live broadcast. If you are interested I am willing to get rid of one of my Yamaha tuners, a CT-610 II. It doesn't get much use anymore, yours for $30 plus shipping if you want to go retro. [;)]