DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

I was thinking of building a ProSound Lab12 with a pair of Eminence drivers (I already have these speakers), but a pair of Tuba HT's might be a better option, is there a plan design for this speaker?

Would 2 subs based on this design be enough for a HT room 16x21?

Sorry I am still reading the thread if the answer to this ans where to get the plans are already posted.

Thanks!

thanks,

I have yet to find a sub system that provides the bottom end I want/need, I was hoping that this was it.

I will find the post in this thread I read about my particular speakers and see if I can edit it into the post above.

If the plans are not for a 12" speaker then I don't really want to buy them...

PL is a great product for construction projects, dries fairly quick and very strong.

Lots of good driver options out there, Bill says anything within 10% of the specs can be used but its probably best to ask if theres any question.

These are some of the options i know of.

Dayton RSS390HF-4

Dayton DCS380-4 & if i recall somebody had good results with a 385 model but don't quote me on this.

12" version = Eminence LAB 12

More options are available on the forum if needed.

Here is where I saw the speakers I have listed...

12" version = Eminence LAB 12

From the Tuba HT page on Bill's website: The THT also may be loaded with a twelve, for a minimum width of 15 inches..

Depending on what the Eminence 12's would provide for low frequency exptension and SPL I might be looking a building 2 x 15" versions rather then 2 x 12" versions...

Your Eminence LAB 12 is the recommended 12-inch driver.

All Tuba HT are all the same 36x36 inch square with variable width. So you could have 36x36x15 with 12-inch driver. The wider cab the better. At 18-inches wide it does better with a 15-inch than a 12-inch, but 12-inch drivers are recommended for cabs up to 18-inch wide.

Got some more done this evening: panel 5 and braces, panel 6 and braces.

I'll post pics tomorrow.It's slow-going but looks great!

My Klipsch journey began at age 17 when a cousin sold me his La Scala. I still have them 30 years later and one of them is my center speaker now! How is that for money wll spent!

...indeed! ;-)

Thanks for sharing with the community!

I don't think decent SPL will be a problem even with a single 15-inch THT(!!) nevermind two 12-inch and, from what I hear, you can get extension using EQ (such as with a Behringer FDP 1124p and the REW software) at the same time as smooth out the response.

Here's a tip for THT builders... I cut the first braces at the specified sizes but they turned outnot to be tall enough by a tad over 1/8". Here's a pic of the gap. I pused in the two side braces a little deeper in, and added little pieces of wood to the middle one that overlaps the driver for it to fit there. The next braces I measured in place prior to cutting to size to get an exact fit.

post-15702-13819618282374_thumb.jpg

post-15702-13819621941636_thumb.jpg

Here's a tip for THT builders... I cut the first braces at the specified sizes but they turned outnot to be tall enough by a tad over 1/8". Here's a pic of the gap. I pused in the two side braces a little deeper in, and added little pieces of wood to the middle one that overlaps the driver for it to fit there. The next braces I measured in place prior to cutting to size to get an exact fit.

After the PL dries and expands to approx. 1/16" per side of your brace you should be perfect.

Thanks Peter, good to know, now all I have to decide is to make 2 Tuba HT's with the Eminence Lab 12's or buy 2 Dayton 15" drivers and make the wider cabs...

I really want great low frequency extension as well as decent SPL's

Using 2 smaller Tuba HT builds and worrying about not having enough output should not be a concern, i would use the 12" drivers you already have on hand.

There is a chart somewhere using the LAB 12 in the Tuba HT, i will try to find it and post a link for you.

After the PL dries and expands to approx. 1/16" per side of your brace you should be perfect.

Well, I've installed them snug to begin with in any case. But yeah, I thought about that. It's just that I used the braces to align my piece to be square, so i wanted them snug.