Did I get the right center channel? Am I expecting too much from it?

iLikeThemTheKlipsches

Quite a few Yamaha AV receivers have a graphic EQ for the centre channel so its timbre can be matched with the main speakers. Mine is set manually, but the newer models can do it automatically.

I was under the impression that speakers should have the same tweeter/mid/crossover to be timber matched. How would EQ or room correction software compensate? If that were the case, you could run Synergy centers and Heritage mains or mix B&W and Klipsch and not miss a beat.

I was under the impression that speakers should have the same tweeter/mid/crossover to be timber matched. How would EQ or room correction software compensate? If that were the case, you could run Synergy centers and Heritage mains or mix B&W and Klipsch and not miss a beat.

You're right, the speakers should be identical or fairly close, but most people have a smaller centre speaker than their mains, so the centre EQ is just a tone control to try to narrow the gap in timbre between them. It helps a bit, but it's not a magic solution.

I think you'll like the 62 way better and putting your tv on top of it shouldn't look bad. I just got a RC-35 and it was taking up most of my second shelf so I moved it and put my tv on top of it (thanks for the idea guys) and it actually looks pretty good. The TV stand is a perfect fit and it sounds better too. Because when I had it on the second shelf I also experienced slightly muffled sounds at lower volumes but it cleared up once I turned it up. The same symptom as SubXero....but when I put my tv on top of it that disappeared....even at lower volumes I guess because the Tweeter is pointed right at my ears now (compared to pointing below them when it was on the second shelf) so if possible I would also repostion the center to have it as close to ear level as possible. I guess it isn't quite as forgiving as the L and R mains......with you putting your tv on top of the 62 it should be in a pretty good position. If you just want to experiment while you wait for the 62 you can put the 52 on the shelf with your tv.....in front of it just to see how it sounds.....(i would say put your tv on top but I'm not sure how much the 52 can hold compared to the 62.)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the input and suggestions! This thread has been very useful.

I wanted to update everyone on my Klipsch situation: I just got my RC-62 last night, after quite a few shipping snafu's and delays (took four weeks to get here).

The 62 isn't quite as large as I thought -- it's actually the perfect size IMHO, and matches the RF-62s quite well from an aesthetic point of view.

I listened to a few things on my RC-52 before hooking up the new center, so I could do a good objective subjective comparison (ha!). For the record, I used a scene of Empire Strikes Back (good Vader dialogue + discrete sounds from the center), and a video game, Borderlandds, which allows me rotate my view while a character with a very unique voice is talking (Claptrap!). On the 52, Vader's dialogue was muffled and not quite up to par with the rest of the soundfield; even with my center set to 5db above the fronts. In the game, I could clearly hear a difference in sound quality when Claptrap went from a front to the center to the other front.

Hooked up the RC-62, brought the db down to +0 (same as the fronts) -- and it's PERFECT. Vader sounds like a Sith Lord should. Claptrap's voice was clear and transition from front left to center to front right was seamless. Same, identical sound. I'll be returning the RC-52 and keeping the RC-62. Very, very happy with it.

And after all the trouble the store went through to get the 62 here -- shipping delays, plus the box got banged up and there was a sligth (hardly noticeable) dent on the back of the speaker -- my RC-62 ended up costing me just $150 more than the RC-52.

So hopefully this thread will help others -- if you're getting RF-62 fronts, I can vouch that in my case, the RC-52 was very, very disapointing, and the RC-62 turned out to be perfect.

• Moderators

Congrats on the new upgrade.

So hopefully this thread will help others -- if you're getting RF-62 fronts, I can vouch that in my case, the RC-52 was very, very disapointing, and the RC-62 turned out to be perfect.

That was my experience as well except it was the RC-52 with RF-82's vs RC-62 with the RF-82's.

And... very nice of you to come back with the final verdict. Too often people come for advice and we never hear back from them!

Not a lot of people realize (or care) that for one poster here, there might be a hundred who found the thread on Google and came here for a solution. I'm sure my tale will help a few other people down the line.

ps: Salut à Rimouski! Je suis de Chicoutimi. :)