altec model 19 vs. cornwall 1

juniper8

They are wonderful speakers, for some types of music or certain recordings,as are the cornwalls, but for classical music the 19's have a little bit to much coloration, and have to be played at loud levels to be appreciated, and still when they open up, they drop alot of detail. This could have to do with the rooms acoustics or my equipment. the 19's can do things as can the cornwalls. Both are great speakers!

1500.00 for a pair in good condition. Is there even a comparison between these two? Cornwall bass is superior but coloration is also superior. The horns and drivers in altecs are clearly better even proven with measurements. mowntnbkr, you are on the right track. A comparison between the 19 and the khorn or RF7 would be a better test.

In your tests did you drive both with the same preamp and amplification?

How about Model 19 vs Cornscala? I am a Cornwall owner and to buy new crossovers, tweeters, and fastrac horns would cost about the same as selling the Cornwalls and picking up Model 19s. Cant afford either route right now but when the time comes I will likely just upgrade what I already know I like.

I have tried both with a number of combinations of dated receivers, and older and newer cd players. The problem is that the altecs energize the poorly constructed floor in my house and the feed back from the house, doesn't help them out at all. The cornwalls on the other hand dont create this intense dynamic tension between speaker and floor, so in this space they create a more natural sound with some types music . Plus to three year old ears the pressure the 19's create may be a little intense. I know I like them both very much I think the 19's in the right space with the right equipment would be stellar. The eq network in the crossover I am still not sure about in the 19's but this could also be old caps?