RF-7s with DeanG: xpa2 vs xpa1s?

maseline_98

I'm awaiting the emotiva xmas sale with my $100 off coupon from my umc-1. I'm looking to upgrade my front amplification.

1. Would the xpa2 be enough power?

2. Would 2-xpa1s just be complete overkill?

I can say this. I've been running the xpa5 and absolutely love it, but I have clipped it before. I actually never understood what the term really meant until I was rocking some ACDC(~115+ dbs...it may have been even louder than that...it was ear bleeding loud) and heard this crackling sound. I immediately turned it down and haven't turned it up that loud since....

I'm about 60/20/20 movies/music/gaming

This may be the mature adult in me (I know it's there somewhere) talking, but turn it down. Look up the effects of hearing damage and envision yourself living like that in a few years. It isn't a fun picture. Sustaining 115dB+ for any significant length of time is a great way to get there.

As far as the technical side of your question goes, keep in mind that doubling the power to a speaker only nets you a 3dB (barely perceptible) increase in volume. Even going with the XPA-1 isn't going to give you much more volume. There is also the issue that the RF-7 does have physical limits and will give you only so much volume regardless of how much power you try to pump into it.

WARNING - YOU ARE GOING TO FRY YOUR BEAUTIFUL RF-7's.

At 300 wpc, the next clipping you hear will be detrimental. Unless you like the sound of empy soda cans rattling around in your speakers I suggest you proceed with caution. Not to mention, you will also void any remaining warranty you may have with your speakers. Trust me, I know how you feel by wanting everything the 7's have to offer. As StephenM stated, there are physical limits though.

Just a friendly suggestion...

Keep on Rockin'

I have a upa7 and 115 dbs is gravy.I can't imagine over 200 watts per channel but nothin' wrong with that either.I still can't imagine any louder than 120 dbs needed in a house but.....I've never max'd my set out, no need, it gets way too loud with room to spare.I'd check my signal/source if I had different results.

This may be the mature adult in me (I know it's there somewhere) talking, but turn it down. Look up the effects of hearing damage and envision yourself living like that in a few years. It isn't a fun picture. Sustaining 115dB+ for any significant length of time is a great way to get there.

As far as the technical side of your question goes, keep in mind that doubling the power to a speaker only nets you a 3dB (barely perceptible) increase in volume. Even going with the XPA-1 isn't going to give you much more volume. There is also the issue that the RF-7 does have physical limits and will give you only so much volume regardless of how much power you try to pump into it.

I was only really playing it that loud to test the limits of the xpa5...with 200 watts/ch, I figured it should be able to handle it....

Trust me....the last thing I want to do is damage my speakers...I'm looking for more dynamics(and low-end) than volume level. I usually listen to movies at only 75dbs(calibrated). I never had a problem with movies(than again, I never tried pushing it much louder than that)...

I was only really playing it that loud to test the limits of the xpa5...with 200 watts/ch, I figured it should be able to handle it....

Trust me....the last thing I want to do is damage my speakers...I'm looking for more dynamics(and low-end) than volume level. I usually listen to movies at only 75dbs(calibrated). I never had a problem with movies(than again, I never tried pushing it much louder than that)...

I'd go with 2 XPA-1's if I were you they will give you what your looking for imo and thats what I would do , I noticed a huge improvement with a xpa-3 on the bottom end with clarity seperation, dynamics and so on . I havent tryed my my RF7II's with out my xpa-3 and feel no need to they sound so good but my before and after comparison with my Paradigm Studio setup it was huge. But this I do know switching to the 7's was a blessing even though the studios were very nice the 7's and the amp = Heaven Although there so effecient they would im sure sound good without seperates I feel no need to take a step back . But yes back to the amps of your choice xpa-1's FTW ; )

Unfortunately, any amplifier can be pushed to its limits and beyond with the simple turn of a knob or push of a button.

I'm looking for more dynamics(and low-end) than volume level.

I'll have to disagree with TheFactor here and say IMO upgrading the amplifier wouldn't be the best use of funds. You should already have a very dynamic system, and switching from a really really powerful amplifier to a really really really powerful amplifier is only going to give you so much.

There are a couple areas I'd look to.

1. The subwoofer(s): What is handling the low end of your system?

2. The room itself: What is the noise floor of the room? What can do you to reduce it? Have you done any room treatments to deal with early reflections?

Unfortunately, any amplifier can be pushed to its limits and beyond with the simple turn of a knob or push of a button.

I'm looking for more dynamics(and low-end) than volume level.

I'll have to disagree with TheFactor here and say IMO upgrading the amplifier wouldn't be the best use of funds. You should already have a very dynamic system, and switching from a really really powerful amplifier to a really really really powerful amplifier is only going to give you so much.

There are a couple areas I'd look to.

1. The subwoofer(s): What is handling the low end of your system?

2. The room itself: What is the noise floor of the room? What can do you to reduce it? Have you done any room treatments to deal with early reflections?

I dont know from experience Stephen but from owners reviews the xpa-1 is a huge step up in dynamics and on paper it looks like a animal but again i've never owned a xpa-1 .

I dont know from experience Stephen but from owners reviews the xpa-1 is a huge step up in dynamics and on paper it looks like a animal but again i've never owned a xpa-1 .

I don't doubt that under certain circumstances that the XPA-1 might be a worthwhile upgrade. However, the XPA-5 is no slouch by any means and is easily capable of driving a pair of RF-7s to reference levels and beyond without suffering any dynamic compression in a home environment.

However, if maseline has a relatively noisy, untreated room, he could reap great improvements in sound quality and perceived dynamics simply by addressing those issues, and potentially at little cost I might add. And of course, if bass is an issue, he needs to look towards his subwoofer(s). Optimal placement can yield great dividends, as can upgrading to more powerful models.

I would send an email to Emotiva and ask them. They are very honest with their recommendations and don't always recommend what's going to be a more expensive sale for them just to make an extra buck. Let them know what you're using for speakers and electronics and they'll usually respond within a day or two. I've personally had great communication with them through emails.

This might be a good option to consider:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1293288112&/Emotiva-UPA-1%27s-pair-of-upa-1-

I would send an email to Emotiva and ask them. They are very honest with their recommendations and don't always recommend what's going to be a more expensive sale for them just to make an extra buck. Let them know what you're using for speakers and electronics and they'll usually respond within a day or two. I've personally had great communication with them through emails.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1293288112&/Emotiva-UPA-1%27s-pair-of-upa-1-

Great advice wuzzer

I'm surprised nobody has suggested going with the xpa2...There holiday sale is out and it is $709-$100 coupon = $609.

Great advice wuzzer

I like the idea of upa-1, but will have enough headroom to handle the dips the rf-7 have?

I'm surprised nobody has suggested going with the xpa2...There holiday sale is out and it is $709-$100 coupon = $609.

Great advice wuzzer

I like the idea of upa-1, but will have enough headroom to handle the dips the rf-7 have?
Good sale and good point but I think the upa-1 would handle the 7's fine im running a XPA-3 "rated at 200wpc also" with my 7II's and havent had any clipping problems with movies or music although when they tested the xpa-3 it actually had more power on the table then rated not sure about the upa-1 .

Great advice wuzzer

Good sale and good point but I think the upa-1 would handle the 7's fine im running a XPA-3 "rated at 200wpc also" with my 7II's and havent had any clipping problems with movies or music although when they tested the xpa-3 it actually had more power on the table then rated not sure about the upa-1 .

I think I'm going to go the boring/responsible option and stick with my XPA-5. I think I'm just going to use my $100 emobucks on 2 power cables(1 for my sub and 1 for the xpa5).