Klipsch Chorus owners

Max2

First off I have been a Klipsch fan for well over 20 years. Started out with a set of Cornwall II's and sold them to my friend to upgrade to a pair of industrial LaScala's. I still have the LaScala's and KG 4's for rear channels. I have the chance to purchase a set of Chorus or possibly trade + cash for my KG 4's. The real question I have here is should I hold out for a set of Chorus II's ? I know the bass is extended a little on the II's and the mid has the newer diaphram or possible a whole new mid driver, diff bass driver and X-over Im guessing. Just for using them as surrounds or 5 channel stereo is it worth the difference between the two? I know they will be a huge upgrade over the KG-4's, but maybe Im being too critical here.

Thanks friends

Thanks for the link Davis, but I have already been through it. Im still up in the air on the II's vs. the originals. I probably should just jump on this set and forget the subtleties between the two.

I have owned both side by side (got a set of chorus for $500 Walnut Oil Local) and a set of Chorus II's in black for $350, but had to drive to Maryland from MI to get them. I preferred the chorus II's but not by much. The original Chorus is just fine it that is all you can get, you can't go wrong. Very strong woofer, and only about 4 db less efficienct than a LaScala, with much lower bass of course. The Cornwall has a slight hump in the 80-90 Hz. range which gives them their "slam." The Choruses are a smooth as silk all the way down to their cutoff, which is around 40 Hz. for both. The room will make more of a difference than which ones you get.

Buy the Chorus's and when you find CII's get them then, sell which ever pair you don't want.

That's what I did, but I sold them both. I went with Peavey SP-1's (dubbed "Cheap Scalas") to get ALL horns in my system, including bass. Now I am selling those and going with Fortes and Heresy's to save space.

I have had both in a smaller room placed on an 11' wall in the corners. I found the CII's to be a bit boomy with some mid-range blare. The CI's were smoother all around, especially with my Scott tube amp. I could see the CII's being better in larger rooms, away from walls and corners. I do like my vertical Cornwalls better accross the board, at least in my room with my set up. However, I could be very happy with either Chorus speaker.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will just jump on the C's. They have been in storage for several years and before then the guy had them hooked up to external speaker outputs on a old big screen Pioneer TV...of all things. I need something that will keep up with my LaScala's better and this route wont break the bank for me right now. I should have them one day next week and look forward to hearing them. Hope the come close to sounding like my old Cornwall II's.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the C 1's last night and had time to give them some listening. It is a great sounding speaker and match well with my LaScalas. I was expecting a little more Bass out of them from owning a pair of Corwall II's, but figured since I am using them as surrounds they probably are a better match for me since they are are closer to the listening area than my front channels.