RF-7II vs RF-7 with DeanG mod

felitopaz

Maybe I'm just mean, but I don't think I'd want to open up my new speakers to let someone borrow my crossover lol. Either way you decide to go, I wouldn't expect to hear a major difference. They will sound a little different, but they're still virtually the same speaker. Everyone has different taste. I know if my 7's came back sounding more like 83's I would not be happy. But... some would. That's why I would advise trying to have a listen for yourself if possible.

Then again.. If you take apart your 7's and send Dean your crossover. Your system will be down for a couple weeks I would guess. You'll be so happy just to get it up and running again that you'll love em! Me personally, I bet after two weeks I wouldn't be able to tell you if it made a difference or not. Without an instant A/B my mind plays tricks on me.

• Like 1

here is my flawed logic. If I had a pair of RF7 ll I would be interested to see if a pair of RF7 running with the RF7 ll xover would sound as good as the RF7 ll because I know that if they sound as good I can sell my R7 ll and buy a set of RF7 for a lot less money and upgrade the xover and have a brand new speaker and some money in my pocket.

So here is the question do the Rf7 and the RF7 ll use the same horn? Are they the same physical size? Just curious to know. Best regards Moray James.

here is my flawed logic. If I had a pair of RF7 ll I would be interested to see if a pair of RF7 running with the RF7 ll xover would sound as good...

Yep. The question was asked if we could purchase the "upgraded" crossovers from Klipsch and Trey Cannon (Klipsch) said the new crossovers would not fit into the old cabinet...Again, I think all of this talk of any of these things being an "upgrade" to the original RF-7s is in the ears of the beholder. My 2 cents.

the simple solution would then be to place the crossover on the bottom of the cabinet and use the stock cup on the back of the box. Not really a big one to get around. You could also build a crossover up on a board and install it inside and connect to the factory cup. Either way works.

I took a look and it would seem that the horns used in the RF7 and the RF7 ll would seem to be the same or very similar both are 8 inch square. In all likelyhood swapping xovers would not appear to be an issue. Best regards Moray James.

Cool...Fwiw, here is where I got my information:

http://www.community.klipsch.com/forums/t/138439.aspx?PageIndex=3

The RF-7II improvements are very nice. First is the look. That knife edge cabinet looks great, but there is more than looks there. The new cabinet allows for a more stiff enclosure. The cones look better with the new dust cap, but it also has other value. The old cone could "ring" in the 3k Hz area. The new cone and dust cap is more ridged due to construction. This changes the break up mode and helps to solve the "ring". Most folks never heard this, but for the few that did I am sure they will see the improvement. The new HF driver is a hoss. It allowed the crossover point to be lowered, thus helping with the "ring".

As always, the Hope plant does a prefect job on the cabinets, holding a 98 -99% right the first time tolerance. The craftsmen there are amazing.

The new horn looks great. It uses a "pretty" trim ring to cover the screws and extend the horn length. Again helping with the lower crossover point.

Last but not least is the grill and feet. New look and function.

As for the "UP Grade", at this time we have no plans to offer up grade parts. (we want to sell speakers not parts...and the new parts will not fit into the old cabinets anyway.)

truth is I have not had a chance to listen for any amount of time...the curves and what I have heard is worth the effort.

here is my flawed logic. If I had a pair of RF7 ll I would be interested to see if a pair of RF7 running with the RF7 ll xover would sound as good as the RF7 ll because I know that if they sound as good I can sell my R7 ll and buy a set of RF7 for a lot less money and upgrade the xover and have a brand new speaker and some money in my pocket.

So here is the question do the Rf7 and the RF7 ll use the same horn? Are they the same physical size? Just curious to know. Best regards Moray James.

New rf-7ii has an upgraded horn from the older one. imo it’s

a more refined sound (cleaner).

“The new HF driver is a hoss. It allowed the crossover point

to be lowered, thus helping with the "ring".

I thought that I read here somewhere the FR7 and theRF7 ll used the samr comp driver?No? The horns are physically very similar in size (both 8 inches square at the mouth) so I see no reason not to swap out xovers and see how an RF7 sounds with the lower crossover point. Xover point would appear to be the major difference between thse two models. Has anybody got a copy of the RF7 ll crossover schematic? Swapping a pair out would be the fastest easiest least expensive way to find out. Or you could buy a CF 3 which I would guess is a better speaker any how. Dual tens and a little bit larger horn crossover around 800 Hz. I have the parts for a pair but have not built cabinets yet. CF 4 uses dual 12 inch woofers and the same horn as the CF 3, four 12 inch woofers should eat an RF7 ll for breakfast. That's just my opinion but I would back that with a nickle. Best regards Moray James.

The drivers are similar, but definitely different. As far as CF-3 vs RF-7's... I haven't heard the CF's but my money would be on the 7's. They're really an awesome speaker, and very detailed. That's why they have almost a cult like following and Klipsch keeps bringing them back. But.. That's just me. It all boils down to personal preference.

Them's fightin words. I do have the parts for a pair of CF 3 but have not built the cabinets yet. The CF3 uses a 2 inch comp driver I still think I will put my nickle on the CF3 lower crossover is better in my books. I do thik that anRF7 would be nice with a lower xover point. There are not any RF series speakers with low enough xover point that I would be happy with. Best regards Moray James.

Where were you able to do a comparison of the two and were they in the same room?

Ultimate electronics. Yes same room

Interesting... are you sure it was an original RF-7 and not the RF-83? I don't mean to come across as confrontational but I find it highly unlikely that ULTE would take up any floor space with a speaker they haven't carried for 4 years.... When ULTE opened here in Texas and started carrying Klipsch I invested in them and was in their stores at least 2 to 3 times a week for the slightly over two years they were open. I got quite close to several sales staffs because I also bought merchandise and went in at odd hours when no one was in the store. Fwiw, I had a similar discussion with a poster on AVS only to find he had been mistaken.

Lol I’m very sure actually. Not sure what you mean by 4

years ago. They sold rf-7 (classic) right up to when the new ones came out and

they left them on display for the first few months to sell on clearance and

show the difference side by side (a way to sell the new ones). They also had a

lot of the original rf series next to the new ones for some time. I have a good

friend who worked there all the way back to when they were called audio king.

How would I confuse rf-83 with rf-7[:^)]? Come on bro give me a

tad bit more credit than that please. I thought the new ones sounded better but

that doesn’t mean they are (just my opinion). Your welcome to yours of course.

You could have just said I don’t believe you lol [:D]

Lol I’m very sure actually. Not sure what you mean by 4 years ago. They sold rf-7 (classic) right up to when the new ones came out and they left them on display for the first few months to sell on clearance and show the difference side by side (a way to sell the new ones).

I wasn't calling you a liar and to my knowledge the RF-7 Classics were made to order and could only be bought on line from Klipsch Inc, and there weren't any clearance models that they sent to stores...I still think that's the case but now you have me curious.

If they were only available online then why did they have

them? The rf-7 is super popular. If

store orders them they have them. Look at magnolia best buy for example. Some have

no reference some have a bunch. Maybe someone ordered them and then returned

them? Also I knew two sales men that

worked there that both had the rf-7 maybe they had input in what they had in

the show room. I think You presume too much without looking at all the possibilities.

Is there a reason you

don’t believe me? Maybe you would have if I said the old rf-7 sounded better? [;)]

If they were only available online then why did they have them? The rf-7 is super popular. If store orders them they have them. Look at magnolia best buy for example.

Is there a reason you don’t believe me? Maybe you would have if I said the old rf-7 sounded better? Wink

It's not you personally, but given how closely I've followed this market for the last 10 years and that Klipsch purposefully only sold the Classic RF-7s online as not to compete with the RF-83s and I think they wouldn't send them to retailers for the same reason. Like I said, this isn't personal but the only other Poster I saw claiming he'd heard an A/B comparison in-store was proven he was mistaken and then got overly hostile...I don't want the same here but you are the only other person I've seen on the Klipsch Forum and at AVS that claimed to have heard an A/B comparison in-store and that seems illogical to me...I admit if you said you heard them both and the original was better I wouldn't have pursued this topic.

EDIT: Added quote and response

...Also I knew two sales men that worked there that both had the rf-7 maybe they had input in what they had in the show room. I think You presume too much without looking at all the possibilities.

Btw, this is the only wild-card if you are insinuating they brought in one of their pairs and then I would definitely question the motivation of the salesman to set up an accurate comparison because they wouldn't have the older version to sell and would capitalize on the popularity of the original...I have seen first hand unscrupulous practices in ULTE (e.g., wire-demonstrations and A.B tests w/o level-matching and boosting gain, etc)