Speaker help

wstanger

The more I read the harder it is to decide which speakers to buy. I am looking for Home theater (75%) with a budget of 1000.00 should I buy new or used? Any help would be appreciated. I have recently purchased a Denon AVR-791 and a Klipsch SW450. Need to find fronts and center to begin then rears in a few months.

• Moderators

Welcome to the Klipsch forums. You are in the right place. Lot of guys here that are more than willing to offer advice and help you spend your money.

[;)]

The more I read the harder it is to decide which speakers to buy.

Ah but that's part of the fun. Learning is a great thing and the more you know, the better informed you will be when you do make your final decision.

with a budget of 1000.00 should I buy new or used?

You won't be able to get much with $1000 if you choose to go the new route. I'm a big fan of used. Lots of great deals out there thanks to our economy. Great time to buy and negotiate.

Few questions for you:

1. Do you have any size constraints for the speakers?

2. Is there a wife or a significant other that will have a sayso in how the speakers look?

3. Do you prefer the look of the older square shaped speakers (ex. Klipsch Heritage) or tall skinny modern speakers (ex. Klipsch Reference)?

4. Is the $1000 budgeted for just the front three speakers? If so, that opens up a lot more opportunities but I would still see if I could find a deal on a good used set.

5. Where are you located? Be sure to check craigslist.com for Klipsch. You may find that a sweet deal just down the road from you.

When you buy your front three, try to make sure they are timbre matched. We can help you with this if you need some direction.

Hello

I have looked on craigslist (i live in Charlotte) thats some of the confusion as to go used or new as far as the other questions my family room is about 18x20 open to wall to kitchen on 1 side making overall 18 x 30. Size or looks do not have preference just looking for best sound for the money. Wife has no say in this room .......She has all the other rooms.. What do you think about these ?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/2102406713.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/2097223222.html

Those WF-35s look great dont they? I would put in an offer on those. Not sure what a good offer would be though. I mean you can already buy them for $700 new ($50 less than he is asking). http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/2088467082.html that guy might take $300 for his polk speakers and you can find a matching center for relatively cheap brand new. Ive heard those rti-10s arent the best in their line up but i think you would certainly be pleased.

• Moderators

Wife has no say in this room .......She has all the other rooms..

LOL. Your wife sounds like mine. It was actually her idea for us to have a dedicated theater room, that way she didn't have to look at speakers in the living room. I was cool with that. [:D]

What do you think about these ?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/2102406713.html

He has another post willing to trade them for something. Link Got anything?

Not sure which would be better since I've never heard either. The WF are from the Icon Series. They are more modern looking, sold at Best Buy, geared towards a market that needed a Wife friendly stylish speaker. Not sure how much sound quality was sacrificed to do that. Looks like he has taken good care of them.

The other set is an older set of speakers but you could save quite a bit by buying them. But it may be a get what you pay for situation. Wish I could offer advice but I'm not familiar with either of those speakers.

I am a big fan of used.

Every item in my signature was purchased used.

(My receiver was $140; new 3 years ago ~$900; My KV4 center was $165; New was ~$600; etc; etc).

I like the sound of Heritage speakers and love the classic look they present as well.

The newer speakers are more modern looking; but not my cup of tea. (To each his own).

Your best bet is to goto the local electronics store and audition some of the newer ones. DO NOT BUY.

You are on recon to gather info on what you want USED.

You can seriously save 60% or more buying used speakers that are in great shape.

If I had $1000 to spend; I would get a pair of KLF 20s or 30s (~$600-~$800) and then search for a KLF C7 center.....

Or... Get a set of Fortes and an Academy center (~$450 and ~$300 respectively).

Or a set of Heresies (~$300) and an academy center.......

Cornwalls? LaScalas? These are all options but you need to know what SOUNDS best to you.

Good Luck....

I agree i recently bought some nice polk bookshelf speakers and while i like the looks of them better i prefer the sound of klipsch. The thing is they dont sound bad though. If you are buying used you really need to work with what comes up locally. It has been a long long time since i have seen some klipsch references come through my city or close by cities.

I am looking for Home theater (75%) with a budget of 1000.00 should I buy new or used?

Wstanger,

Welcome to the forum.

Buy used, IMO. Of all gear I have, only about (5) items I bought new(very discounted). The deals are out there. Here is a nice setup for an okay price. Offer to buy all for $1200.00. Offer $1000.00 for fronts, center, and surrounds. I know it is somewhat of a drive but a beautiful one at that. Let seller know you are willing to drive from Charlotte so he may be more inclined to discount.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/ele/2089209514.html

Bill

What do you think about this deal? Good or wait?

2) RF 3 II Tower Speakers
2) RS 3 II Rear Speakers
1) RC 3 II Center Speaker
1) RW 12 Sub

All for $900.00

That is a considerably better deal than the link I sent you from the Asheville C-list. I say jump on it if all in good condition.

Bill

What do you think about this deal? Good or wait?

2) RF 3 II Tower Speakers
2) RS 3 II Rear Speakers
1) RC 3 II Center Speaker
1) RW 12 Sub

All for $900.00

+1 on 'going for it' if they're in good shape. That is a good deal. I had that HT system (with an RSW-12) for 7 years and enjoyed it very much. Then the upgrade bug hit me.

WSTANGER,

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a real good deal for your budget if they are all in nice shape. For your budget, looks perfect to get you up and running for many years, and you can always upgrade down the road as time and money allow.

Keep us informed on what you find and how well you like what you purchase after settup.

Roger

First off thanks to everyone for all the input. I have to make a decision I also found

2-RF3, 2-RS42, 1-RC3, 1 KSW-12 and 2 SF-2 for $800.00

2-RF3ii, 2 RS3ii 1 RC3 and 1 RW 12 for $900.00

My question is there much difference ?

I will have to drive 3 hours for either set.