Q-man's University Classic

Stig-

the plans that are found in the link you provide are somewhat different than the "original" 1953 Classic.

They are factory plans published sometime later.

LTV-Altec bought University and moved it from White Plains, NY to Oklahoma City, OK. James Ling, the "L" in LTV, was born and raised in Oklahoma City. For some odd reason he thought that moving Altec (a decidedly West Coast company) and University (White Plains no less!) to OK would be "good" idea. The fact that the engineering staff from each company refused to relocate should have given a clue!

When LTV folded, Altec and University were partitioned off and sold to the parent company of Electro-Voice

(either Gulton or Telex, can't remember which).

John, Q-Man,

The "Classic" on this link was the only one I knew about, I was close to building it.

The corner version with the angles is a much neater design. I'll be building Q-Man's version if I can find the plans.

John,

Are the mouth areas the same? It looks bigger on the "lo-boy" type. Either way I'm glad to find this "new" version.

Stig

Kewless,

No I didn't get it. This is John Warrens topic, since he posted or started it. I believe you can't use the board to do a third party email. I'll look up your email address under your profile then send you that you can respond to.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

It's been quite a while since I've posted, so here's a

question to jump back in with.

I've got two 18" drivers I'm planning to use for subs.

Would scaling the Classic up to size work or is some extra math required. I know the Patrician IV is scaled but isn't the throat somewhat different?

Thanks for any info.

Eric

------------------

Where does this connect?

Hey Q-Man, how about offering an easy build version of the easy build Classic (the later version at http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru/UniversityClassic.jpg ). If parts 2, 3, 4 were available pre-cut I think most people would find the rest of the woodworking within their reach. A knock down kit of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6(X2), 7 for people without a saw. Or a pre-fab 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6(X2), and loose 7 for the thumb-fingered. The pre-fab would be under the 130" UPS length+girth restriction.

djk,

You don't know how close to home you strike with your suggestion. I've been wondering if there would be a market for knock down versions of some of the no longer manufactured bass horn cabinets. I wonder if such a venture could be profitable, and how I would go about marketing them to reach the right people.

You are right about parts #2,3,& 4 . They are very difficult to make, because of the compound angles involved. I blew it the first time.I was off 1/2 degree here, 1/16" there and they didn't fit. I had to make them a second time.

If I was to make them for just one speaker or one person, the labor cost would be more then anyone would be willing to pay. In order to get the cost down I would need to make multiple like pieces at one time. Another words cut at least 10 to 20 like pieces for each saw or jig set-up. The more pieces the better( or cheaper).

This is why I never built a Klipschorn cabinet. It is cheaper to buy a pair then to build one. Once you factor in the labor involved, the speaker cost you more to make then to buy one. I feel the Klipschorn is a bargin at what you can buy it for.

I think I mentioned this before. I built the Jensen Imperial and the University Classic because you can't buy them anywhere. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what they sounded like.

I didn't really answer your question. If there is enought interest for these parts, I could be persuaded to produce them. It would first take some time to figure out a fair price for the buyer and myself.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-21-2002 at 12:17 PM

Q-man,

I have been following this thread and enjoying not only it, but the links given in it extremely. Thanks, guys!!!

You are right on the mark about building K-horns... as to diminishing returns on investment of labor (and even materials in them) in a non-mass-produced mode. An ungodly amount of time is involved in the saw set-up operations in fabrication of the parts, due to the precison of fit needed in the assembly process. With fit tolerances of 1/64th" or less required, it is also beyond the capability of many home workshop's equipment unless special jigs are made, therefore eating up even more labor-time and materials. Add to that the "scrap factor" of mistakes using costly materials, and many a home builder will end up throwing his/her hands up in the air and just buying them new...with alot of expensive material ending up as firewood.

Baltic birch is now alot more expensive since the fall of the U.S.S.R. than it was beforehand. U.S. plywood manufacturers have seen to it that it stays high so that they can compete against it in the market..sad, but true!!!

Either way, the complexity of the K-horn construction makes it more cost effective to purchase one new than to build one...unless...one plans to build a number of them, is willing to except little or no profit from the ones sold (if he/she can get away with it), and is a very accomplished woodworker with excellent equipment in the shop.

I sincerely believe that going with kits for quality out-of-manufacture cabinets is the best idea...and the simpler the design, the better. There are alot of audiophile do-it-yourself types who don't want to spend alot of time on building a cabinet design "from scratch", but would enjoy some shop time with a kit, if its construction wasn't too difficult and the instructions were excellent...one can use the old "dynaco/dynakit" or "heathkit" successes to show that. Now-a-days, fewer folks want to sit around in the evening with a soldering pencil, but I believe there are alot of folks who still would enjoy some woodworking kit assembly. Driver cost is another factor to consider....the more expensive the driver is that must be used, the less likely the kit will be purchased. Popular Electronics may be a good venue to attempt placement of a small ad, just to see how it would fly in the early stages...it has always been geared for the do-it-yourself types...and is still read by many audiophiles and laymen with a "do-it-yourself" attitude.

I honestly believe the success of a venture like this would be whether the following thought came to the mind of the potential customer:

"Gee, I can build one of those in the garage without having to buy alot of big tools!!! And look, it even has a list of drivers to use in it!!! Hmmm, if I bought this driver for it, it wouldn't set me back alot of bucks and I would still get performance close to that of using this more expensive driver!!! I am gonna write for a flyer on it!!!"

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-21-2002 at 11:57 AM

Q-Man,

Re: "I mailed the plans today, (Friday), Good luck."

Thank you very, very much. I have been out of town since Friday morning or I would have responded earlier. I'll let you know when I receive them.

Thanks again,

Stig