Q-man's University Classic

Horn Ed,

You give me way too much credit, your going to embarrass me.

See guys,

I got Horn Ed all excited when I mailed him 3 or 4 of my furture home theater room designs. The room is designed around 3 pairs of Klipschorns and 2 pairs of LaScalas.

I mailed the drawings to him , because he is contemplating a similar project. Horn Ed doesn't tell you about his emails to me and what I have been learning from him. He's a crafty old devil. I included a picture of my present redesigned front end with the drawings that I sent him, and that's what he wants to post.

He had me read Floyd E. Tooles paper on Accustial Engineering. After reading the section on getting the bass right, I think I figured out why he stacked his SVS subwoofers. But, do you think that he would come forth and tell me why he did it? NO! Kind of like how an educator will point you in the right direction. Then you have to travil down the road alone and figure it out.

Horn ED,

Enjoy your vacation.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Wes,

Get this!

John now tells me that Bruce Edgar conciders the University Classic to be one of the best designs around, and that he sells a scaled-up version of it.

Here we go again, I may be eating more sawdust.

Maybe I have John figured out wrong, I've concidered him to be a good friend. But, maybe he just likes to torture me.

Those salad bowls might go good with the University.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

yeah, i was talking about the vintage horn site Smile.gif still though, admire your work on the speaks here!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Q-man-The Imperial's use the 15" G610 triaxial speaker right? I just bought a book detailing this speaker, amongst others, that I haven't received yet and was going to try making them for use with my pair of 15" Altec 515E's. I'm hoping to use it up to @500Hz, crossing over to a pair of JBL 2470's w/Sierra Brooks' Baby Grand horns or Dr Edgar's saladbowls. Hope it turns out alright.cwm14.gif Just have to find a good home now for my mint oak Chorus II's. Peace.

Sound Junkie,

The Imperial came loaded two different ways. One could use the triaxial in it, then turn the cabinet up-side down. This would put the tweeter and mid. of the triaxial closer to ear level. The Imperial also came loaded as a three-way.The mid horn and tweeter were mounted in the bass horn opening at the top of the cabinet.

I modified mine slightly. I made the cabinet about one inch deeper and the top bass horn opening a little taller. I did this because I use the K-401 horn in it. I needed the extra room for the horn and tweeter ,plus the larger opening now has the same volume in cubic inchesas it did with the Imperials smaller mid. horn.

Mine are loaded with the K-77M tweeter, K-55M mid., 401 horn, K-33E woofer and an AL-3 network. I wanted this speaker to match the Klipschorn sound.. They are used as one of my pairs of surround speakers. The other pair of surrounds is a pair of LaScalas that sit on top of the Imperials and aimed in another direction.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-12-2002 at 05:07 AM

You won't have to change anything for that. But, this speaker is tall. It's about 4" higher then the Klipschorn. You might have to angle the high freq. horn downward toward the sweet spot.

It does dig a little deeper then the Klipschorn, this cabinet isn't bass shy.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

quote:

Originally posted by SOUNDJUNKIE:

Has anyone checked on what the good Dr. is getting for a pair of his fine bowls?
cwm36.gif

If you don't get a response here, you may want to post the question in "Updating Older Speakers. Perhaps TBrennen will respond, he's very knowledgable about Edgarhorns.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Well, folks, here it is...

Q-Man's Colossal (in progress) Front Array!s> as sent to me by his friend, John Warren.

I just got back in the wee hours from a trip that included an "Klipsch ear tune-up" featuring the live music of Clipped and Shorn's 7-piece Latin Jazz Band... preceded by a supper club Klipsch session with C&S, Mdeneen, & fini. But more about that later...

Q-Man sent me an original photo that will be scanned and shared at a higher resolution later when my head is clearer. Q-Man's fabulous system is a tribute to his cabinet maker's art and the pursuit of showcasing fully horn loaded designs both sonically and aesthetically.

While I have great respect for the Q-Man... I also have deep and abiding admiration for the "Q-Lady" in his life! But, enough already, here's the email version... and I trust the Q-Man will follow up with a post describing his system. -HornED

Pic4.jpg

holy cow Qman! you MUST email me some pics and specs for my website's rigs section!

http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/id76.htm

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Horn Ed,

You surprise me again. The last time we spoke I believe you were in N.Corolina. How did you get home so fast? Now you tell me that you and John have been talking. I feel like big brother is looking out for me.

I think you did a very nice job with the photo. Don't disrupt your schedule to post the enhanced photo.

I think that most of the members have already seen the old photos of my set-up under Odds & Mods some 100 days back. So, let me get some more coffee in me and I'll be back to explain why I changed the layout. It's not rocket science here, but I've found out that you do have to get a little creative if you want to use all fully loaded horn speakers.

Thanks for the flattering comments guys.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-13-2002 at 12:45 PM

What changed and why.

Before the false corners were 2'x 5'. The 2' side was just enought to cover the one back side of the Klipschorn, and was angled to fit tight againts the side wall of the room. The corners wern't very sturdy and they were just wedged up againts the side wall and the side of the wall unit. They would vibrate and resonate at higher volume. After a while the too short 2' side broke the drywall loose from the screws that hold it in place. Now the drywall also began vibrating againts the studs. This was making a teribible slapping noise.

You may be wondering why I even had false corners, since I do have corners behind them. The room is 16' wide and 28 or 29 ' deep, and I sit about 20' from the tv. With the Klipschorns in the room corners they cross to far in front of the seating. I had to toe them outward.

This time I wanted the corners to be the right size. They should have a min. of a 4' extension in each direction. The new corners turned out to be 50" x 58" , and from the back wall they are 3' on the TV side and 5' on the wall side. They have a double thick 3/4" face and the framing behind the face is screwed to the back wall to eliminate vibrations. There is no more distortion and the bass is much better. This design puts the K-Horns closer to the TV and farther away from the back wall. This allow me to place the front effect LaScalas behind and to the far sides of the K-Horns. By rights the LaScalas should be about another foot behind and to the far sides more. Before the LaScalas were just sitting on top of the K-Horns. I had to change this front effect speaker position before Horn ED started to harass me about it. I also put a full top on the false corners. This gives me a nice 3' deep shelf to place the LaScala front effects on along with some other equipment.

The center channel LaScala is unchanged. I just pulled the unit another foot off the back wall to line it up with the false corners. I did this by adding another foot to the back of the cabinet. The LaScala is angled downward. The mid. horn hits the sweet spot at ear level. It doesn't look it , but remember I'm sitting about 20' back. The surrounds are about 5' behind me. Way too close. The center LaScala supports it's self , but the cabinet it sits in has a slight lip in front to keep the LaScala from sliding forward. The crown mouldind above it is a precaution. If the speaker was to tip forward the moulding would stop it.

This isn't rocket science here, but you do have to get a little creative if you want to use fully horn loaded speakers everywhere in your system.

Let me get a few more comments organized and I'll add them a little later. I'm afraid I may be boring you.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-13-2002 at 09:17 AM

Just a few more things and I'll leave you guys alone.

The cabinets on each side of the center channel LaScala pull-out on full extension guides. They are used for all the DVD storage. This section above the TV may change. I'm seriously thinking of replasing the LaScala with the University. The University loaded with all the LaScala drivers is a much better match to the sound of the K-Horns. The University is 37-1/2" wide compared to the 24" width of the LaScala. This will mean that I will loose the DVD storage area.

The other recent changes were the addition of the Outlaw ICBM bass manager and the McIntosh Mc206 power amp. The ICBM goes between the Yamaha RX-V3000 and the power amp. The ICBM allows me more flexibility with the bass management. Right now these are my settings. Mains 40Hz., Center 80Hz., Jensen Imperial surrounds full range, LaScala surrounds 60Hz.,University rear center 40Hz. I set the sub at about 45Hz. for music, and 80Hz. for movies.

The McIntosh powers the mains, front and rear centers, and the LaScala surrounds. The RX-V3000 powers the Imperial surrounds and the front effects.

I chose the McIntosh amp. hoping that it would give me a more tube like sound. I don't know if the sound is more tube like or not, but whatever it is I'm very pleased in the change that it made.

If and when I build that new room that Horn ED and I have been discussing, it will have to be a min. of 22' wide. This is required so I can add a false corner in the middle for a center channel Klipschorn behind a screen and also be able to move the front effect speakers farther out. I would prefer 24'.

Horn Ed,

Our friends call my wife Q-Woman, not Q-lady. I had this nick name since high school, but we don't need to get into that. See hated being labled Q-Woman, but has grown to except it as see has grown to except my obsession with horns.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-13-2002 at 12:53 PM

Q-man,

What are the Dimensions of your corner horn? Height, Width, depth to the 45 deg angle, and total depth?

I have seen pictures of the University Classic and I thought it was more like the profile of the Belle (ie. not the profile for a corner).

Were there other versions of this horn? Or have you modified the profile to fit the corner? Am I confusing your version with something else?

Thanks,

cwm16.gif

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Klewless,

This is the University Classic, the shape of the cabinet is controled by the design of the horn folding.

I don't think that room corner placement was a design factor. Here in a quote from one of Universities advertisements. " The acoustic performance of the Classic is independent of the walls and floor of a room, and may be used eather as a LoBoy console or HighBoy". I guess you can stand it on it's side if you want to.

I don't know when it was introduced, but the speaker that you are thinking about was called the LoBoy. It was more to the shape & size of the Belle. It was an easier build with a compromise in sound. Kind of like how the LaScala and Belle fallowed the Klipschorn.

John Warren knows more about this then I do.

The size of mine(as you see it),without the grill and riser is 37-5/8" wide, 25" deep and 31-1/2" high. If placed in a corner it would take up 26-1/2 inches each way, to the point where it bends or makes a 45 degree angled turn towards the front of the cabinet.

Draw a triangle with two equal sides of 26-1/2", this will give you the 37-5/8" front dimension of the face of the cabinet. Then come forward 13" at 90 degree off off each end of the 37-5/8' line. This is how the cabinet will look in a corner.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-15-2002 at 10:55 AM

Maybe I can offer some clarification-

In 1952 University Loudspeakers developed the horn that Q-man built. It came in two flavors, with and without rear corners. All drivers were identical. The version without the rear corners (the one built by Q, see top view) will fit in a corner BUT it is not a corner horn (the room walls do not make up the final segment of the horn) but corner placement will improve LF output.

The "cornered" version could be oriented as either a Lo-boy or Hi-boy. The seperate base (plinth?) accommodated both.

I am not aware of any other LF horn system offered by University. The "Classic II" came out in 1963 but it wasn't horn loaded.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 04-15-2002 at 12:07 PM