Forte owner says high!

michaelhigh

I'm not running Adcoms, and to get that impression, what is it I referred to that caused you to gather that? My systems consist of Sansuis, Harman Kardon, Kenwood, and Marantz as power sources. I run Crowns on subs and in my PA. You will enjoy the 771, I have mine in the shop currently and will be pressing it into service in a rig for my son's room. Notice how I worded that. I'm not giving it to him, he will have access to it, but it doesn't leave the house once it comes back from the shop! I have some choices to make myself as to what goes with what where...

I have not tried it yet in that context but look forward to trying it and most every other combo I can configure. I'm waiting for the 'Suis to get back from repair and I'll hold the big shootout then. It may be the sleeper. I'll definitely report back after that with my overall impressions of each configuration complete with pluses and minuses. I had no idea the Harman Kardon would do so well, preliminarily. I thought originally, no brainer, 8080DB goes with Fortes. I might probably end up using new Electro-Voice ZX-1 90 8" PA boxes for the big Sansui. The cool part about that is the EV's can double as actual compact PA tops with a small Crown D-75 as it's amp.

Sorry, the post was intended for Chi Town

This is my 3rd Adcom amp. Everything in my system including the forte II date back to 1992, with the exception of the amp. I originally purchased everything in my system profile with the Adcom 555II. Around 2000 or so I changed to the Adcom 5500, and have had the 5802 for about 2 years now. The Mosfet/Nelson Pass design to my ears sounds much warmer than the bi-polar 555II. I love the Adcom 5802 to my ears midway between a Krell and Mac. I know that others will probably disagree, but everything in this "game" is subjective. I paid $750.00 for the 5802 in mint condition with very low hours. At 300 WPC into 8ohms, more than enough horsepower to drive anything. Adcom claims that the amp is capable of driving 1ohm loads, or even a dead short.

Anyway, I have been very happy with Adcom performance/price ratio for the last 20 years or so. One day when the 5802 needs to be replaced, I will look for a used Macintosh.

The stock debate of SS vs Tube will surely be raised along the way as I delve into the topics of discussion in this forum.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum Michaelhigh and fellow Forte owner.

Dont worry about the debate of SS vs Tube, I enjoy both. I modified my Forte's and I am powering my woofers with the Pioneer SS and the mids & tweeters with the Dynaco tube amp. I get the SS low end punch and the smooth mids & highs.