My RF-3 II home theater is finally complete! 1-20-11 Pictures Update

SuBXeRo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hm i must have missed this thread originally nice theater sub. Youthman that is my favorite picture i have seen from you, very nice.

Man, you are behind the times i replaced the rf-3's with rf-5's :) Thank you for the compliment though, it is much appreciated.

I also second that picture, youthman, your theater came out great. I would love to see it if i am in FL one day. Im sure i could scoop the gf one day if we are out there to stop by, vice versa if you are in az

• Moderators

Youthman my next upgrade will be a projector is there any difference with a pull down screen vs the kind you have?

You can't pull mine down. [:P]

There are different types of screen mateiral, gain (how much it reflects light), white and grey screens etc. But there really isn't any difference in a fixed vs a pull down vs an electric screen. Just different applications.

Since mine is in a dedicated HT, I have no need to roll it up out of the way. I had originally considered putting a 50" plasma for regular TV and put an electric screen in front of it for movie time but I remembered...I don't have cable and I only watch MAYBE 10 hrs of TV per YEAR. Yep, we don't even have an actual TV in the house...just good ole rabbit ears and a digital to analog converter hooked up to the yamaha. It works for the little amount we actually decide to use it. Mostly play video games with my son and watch blurays.

• Moderators

I have been contemplating selling the screen and buying the same screen except with AT (Acoustic Transparent) Material but it is much cheaper to just buy the material for $300 and use the existing frame.

iknow its full size and bars but if i go 2:35 will there be bars?

It all depends on the material. You can check the Blu Rays you have at the moment and see what they are filmed in. I think my collection is about 70/30....70% 2.35:1 and 30% 16:9.....if you have a 2.35 lens then those movies will show up in an even wider wide screen.....if that makes sense.....without the black bars on the top and bottom. Thats the one thing I dislike bc I have a regular 16:9 tv so all of those movies still have the black bars........BUT if the movie is filmed in the regualr 16:9 format then on a 2.35 screen you will have black bars on the left and right side of the picture.....sorta like watching a widescreen 4:3 program on a really wide tv.......if that makes sense LOL. The good news is this......they do have projectors that have switchable lenses.....some you have to manually switch.....others have motorized lenses that will switch with the push of a button. The advantage of switching lenses is the fact that you will have a picture that takes up the whole screen.....whether you watch regular 16:9 movies or 2.35 movies...... but as I said you do have to pay extra for the lenses and they can get expensive.....and if you have to manually switch them it can be a hassle to do....not to mention you don't want to scratch or break it......now one workaround with a 16:9 projector is to just expand the picture for the 2.35 movies........but once you go back to watching regualr stuff part of it will run off of the screen......and once again you most likely will have to manually mess with the lens on your projector......if you don't mind the black bars on the top and bottom then just stick with a regular unit. And as I said Blu Rays usually have the format on the back of the box.....somewhere near the rating and surround sound format.

• Moderators

As mentioned, they do make special lensed called anamorphic lenses. It's a VERY expensive setup since the lense itself can cost several thousand dollars on top of the cost of your projector.

I went with the Panasonic AE300u because I did not want to spend that much on an anamorphic lens but wanted to take advantage of a feature the Panny has called lens memory with a 2.35:1 cinescope screen.

Basically, you put in a movie that is in 16:9 and zoom and focus to where the image fills the top and bottom and has black bars on the sides. Then you save those settings as a preset called 16:9.

Then you put in a movie that is in 2.35:1 and zoom and focus to where the image fills the entire screen. You aren't getting rid of the grey bars, they are just now pushed above and below your screen. Once the movie starts, you don't even see them since my front wall is black and grey. Then you set another preset and call it 2.35:1.

So when it's movie time, I hit one button and it brings up the Lens Memory presets and I either choose the 16:9 or 2.35:1 preset and the projector does it's thing without me having to manually zoom and focus each time I switch formats. It's pretty slick and only takes about 15 seconds to switch.