matching Klipsch speakers to HH Scott 299A

chainsaw

Hello. Newbie to the Klipsch community and tubes...

After years of SS ventures, I have just acquired a fully restored HH Scott 299A 17 watts per side integrated tube amp from a local audio shop-WOW, should have made this switch years ago. Was using it to drive my restored KLH model 5's- 8 ohm 87db and turntable-strictly vinyl these days. Started to notice grain around 11am on the volume and did not get full sound until around 10am.

Thus, started to search for a more efficient speakers for my current set up. Naturally, Klipsch came to mind. Found a local pair of Klipsch KP 101's and picked them up. At first listen they sound great but again a little distortion creeping even at lower levels. I cannot find any definite spec information. Looked at a another post that had the KP 110 specs- 94db 8ohm, 5ohm min. They are in the light oak casing with horn and woofer. Any ideas about the true specs for this speaker?

Fortunately, a fella in my neighborhood had an inactive pair of KG 4's and was kind enough to let me check them out. At the crossover on the binding post it states 1984 4ohms and 91db but on the Klipsch site it states 6ohms and 94db? They are a little banged up and will need a new crossover speaker terminal plate-and all cones are slightly creased or dented-but still sounded pretty darn good. Same question-what are the accurate specs?

With all that said- my HH Scott has connections for 4, 8, & 16 ohm matching near the speaker terminals. Currently set at 8. I understand that tubes, turntable set up, etc are at play here and have done my best to troubleshoot and narrow it down to speaker sensitivity and matching. Any input on specs and best plans for moving forward will be appreciated.

Chainsaw,

Welcome to the forum.

I once heard a pair of KG4's with a 15w Heathkit and was blown away. Warm but detailed with punch that I did not expect. Your HH Scott should sound as well probably even better. I am not a "tube head" but we have many on this forum. I do think that you might should consider a vintage Klipsch 3-way like Heresy's, Forte's, Cornwall's, etc. to really appreciate your HH Scott. Where is your location? Maybe something on those lines are for sale on your local C-list.

Bill

Welcome Chainsaw.

You will love your Scott and Klipsch the more time you can spend with them. I am a relative newbie here as well and I would suggest you spend a good amount of time searching the forums to gain perspective on your questions. I think your Scott will do a good job powering any Klipsch product because they are so efficient and the Scott is such a good amp. IMHO the speakers you chose should be the best fit for your listening room/environment and musical/aesthetic tastes. The Reference line is excellent for smaller footprint and a more modern look. Don't overlook the smaller RF15's and 25's. They sound excellent with tubes and a very good value. The Forte's are excellent "all-arounds" almost nothing that they won't do well. Then there is everything else. Every Klipsch I have heard sounds awesome in the right room with the right equipment. The weakest link in your system will never be the Klipsch speakers.

Search the forum, come up with an idea of what you want and then start to search out the beloved set of your dreams. They are all still in abundant supply if you are patient. Good luck and enjoy the journey[:D]

Welcome Chainsaw.

The Reference line is excellent for smaller footprint and a more modern look. Don't overlook the smaller RF15's and 25's. They sound excellent with tubes and a very good value.

Search the forum, come up with an idea of what you want and then start to search out the beloved set of your dreams. They are all still in abundant supply if you are patient. Good luck and enjoy the journeyBig Smile

I can tell you from a few thousand hours of listening that the RF-15 is one of the true "sleepers" which Klipsch has developed. As a tube amp designer/builder I use them to voice all of my amps, including triode amps putting out as little as 750 milliwatts/channel, and they haven't failed me yet. Their lack of distortion, phenomenal imaging, ability to produce prodigious amounts of sound with little power, and bass output which belies the published specs makes them a wonderful choice for tube amps. The best part is that you can still find new ones out there in their original, unopened boxes. For the price, they're a wonderful speaker to consider!

Frank I'm running Dynaco seperates ,I've built, as well .I'm looking for Klipsch to try and see if I'll be a convert.

There are several available here. I posted a list

Please Help Choose My New Speakers

Take a look if you would.

Thanks, Steve

Hello. Newbie to the Klipsch community and tubes... After years of SS ventures, I have just acquired a fully restored HH Scott 299A 17 watts per side integrated tube amp from a local audio shop-WOW, should have made this switch years ago. Was using it to drive my restored KLH model 5's- 8 ohm 87db and turntable-strictly vinyl these days. Started to notice grain around 11am on the volume and did not get full sound until around 10am. Thus, started to search for a more efficient speakers for my current set up. Naturally, Klipsch came to mind. Found a local pair of Klipsch KP 101's and picked them up. At first listen they sound great but again a little distortion creeping even at lower levels. I cannot find any definite spec information. Looked at a another post that had the KP 110 specs- 94db 8ohm, 5ohm min. They are in the light oak casing with horn and woofer. Any ideas about the true specs for this speaker? Fortunately, a fella in my neighborhood had an inactive pair of KG 4's and was kind enough to let me check them out. At the crossover on the binding post it states 1984 4ohms and 91db but on the Klipsch site it states 6ohms and 94db? They are a little banged up and will need a new crossover speaker terminal plate-and all cones are slightly creased or dented-but still sounded pretty darn good. Same question-what are the accurate specs? With all that said- my HH Scott has connections for 4, 8, & 16 ohm matching near the speaker terminals. Currently set at 8. I understand that tubes, turntable set up, etc are at play here and have done my best to troubleshoot and narrow it down to speaker sensitivity and matching. Any input on specs and best plans for moving forward will be appreciated.

STOP buying speakers the problem is not the speakers.... its either your turntable or this supposed fully rebuilt amplifier.

I have some questions...

1) Is this distortion with LP's? How about with other source material?

2) What cartridge are you using and what Mag input are you using on the amp. Give me what the amp states at the input on the back of the amplifier.

Yeah the Scott 299 and Klipsch is tried and true. It sound good.

My LK-48-B lashes up with my Cornwalls like a old pair of comfy socks. Though I've been listening to coax's lately...

What coax's?

They are pretty much the same thing as the AMK XCX12A90 in the link. But are labled CDK, which I think was the brand before it became AMK. The model number is still the same.

http://www.amkinnovations.com/hspec/XCX12A90/xcx12a90.htm

Mine have a foam ring around the outer diameter of the radial horn tweeter.

post-6643-13819635563578_thumb.jpg