LaScala Center

Wrench722

cool, but you need a Lascala as a center. You've now go a host of acoustic issues to overcome. Anyways, you should be using an acoustically transparent screen or placing the TV ontop. Don't mess with the Center speaker

LaScala are too big for a center. Acoustic issues? TV will be on the wall over the speaker and the screen will droped down to the top of it. Don't mess with the Center speaker?

Interesting solution! I simply put my screen higher, over a regular La Scala.

What's the circle cutout for? A roundHF horn?

I wouldn't worry too much about comb filtering (even though I made that figure). The issue occurs listenning to music with left and right speakers as well when they get a mono bass signal. You can always disconnect a bass bin to see if it sounds any different to you.

LaScala are too big for a center.

Debatable. I initially thought the TV would be too high and planned the joist spacing of the center front wall to accomdate moving the mid and HF horns over the TV. Didn't need to. It works for us, even more so when I add a second row of people watching a movie. Then the extra few inches of height are a plus.

Of course a 50-inch display looks like it's 25 inches on such a wide angle picture!

post-15702-1381963551013_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about comb filtering (even though I made that figure).

So that's where it came from! Nice work, and it makes comb filtering much easier to visualize.

Thanks, glad someone uses it! A big part of my job entails making graphs, so coding that one up took minutes as opposed to hours.

Wrench722,

It will be very interesting to hear about how this turns out... I have developed a hunger for a fully horn-loaded home theater, and have always come up with the center channel/height issue; I have thus far been leaning toward more of a "Cornscala" theory (with front-firing cone woofer/bass boxes sandwiching the mid/tweeter section), but this design intrigues me.

Are you planning to bi-amp (or even tri-amp) this center? I have my doubts about an amplifier being able to handle two 15-inch woofers, along with the midrange and tweeter... I would tend to try a separate amp for each bass module, and one for the midrange and tweeter horns, but I am no designer or engineer.

I have developed a hunger for a fully horn-loaded home theater, and have always come up with the center channel/height issue; I have thus far been leaning toward more of a "Cornscala" theory (with front-firing cone woofer/bass boxes sandwiching the mid/tweeter section), but this design intrigues me.

Somewhere I have the drawings for a center that looks like a miniature JBL Paragon for the bass and a Smith horn on top. It didn't use 15"s, but more like 10"s if I remember correctly.

Bruce

I use two of the doghouses left n right for the Center as well... With a split top between them.. It added a little more punch to the center, which was needed.,..I Love it.. And PS... A lot of Klipsch people have been to my house on here... and the "others" seem to as well, that have been over...

Sometimes in HT it is a try it, see if you like it, deal.. I did, and STILL do.

Stuff a lot of insulation around that horn in your cabinet to separate it all...from any vibrations to, or from, the Bass cabinets is my only suggestion... And IMO you will be set! The only issue might be the amp can it handle it? I use/have Sunfire.. never a problem there...

RELAX>>> It will sound awesome!

Just a thought too...

"Comb Filtering" will occur where two loudspeakers are playing the same signal at different distances from the listener. Comb filtering occurs in acoustics.
In any enclosed space, listeners hear a mixture of direct sound and
reflected sound. Reflected sound, taking a longer path, constitutes a
delayed version of the direct sound and a comb filter is created where
the two combine at the listener.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter#cite_note-1'>

So as a center channel, left n right of the separated top end in your case... They will be at the same distance to you... So not so much a problem. (If I understand this at all?)

I use two of the doghouses left n right for the Center as well... With a split top between them.. It added a little more punch to the center, which was needed.,..I Love it.. And PS... A lot of Klipsch people have been to my house on here... and the "others" seem to as well, that have been over...

Sometimes in HT it is a try it, see if you like it, deal.. I did, and STILL do.

Stuff a lot of insulation around that horn in your cabinet to separate it all...from any vibrations to, or from, the Bass cabinets is my only suggestion... And IMO you will be set! The only issue might be the amp can it handle it? I use/have Sunfire.. never a problem there...

RELAX>>> It will sound awesome!

Just a thought too...

"Comb Filtering" will occur where two loudspeakers are playing the same signal at different distances from the listener. Comb filtering occurs in acoustics.

In any enclosed space, listeners hear a mixture of direct sound and

reflected sound. Reflected sound, taking a longer path, constitutes a

delayed version of the direct sound and a comb filter is created where

the two combine at the listener.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter#cite_note-1'>

So as a center channel, left n right of the separated top end in your case... They will be at the same distance to you... So not so much a problem. (If I understand this at all?)

How is that wired? Standard passive crossover with the woofs in parallel? Active crossover. If passive what is the impedance? I am interested in doing this.

Wrench722,

It will be very interesting to hear about how this turns out... I have developed a hunger for a fully horn-loaded home theater, and have always come up with the center channel/height issue; I have thus far been leaning toward more of a "Cornscala" theory (with front-firing cone woofer/bass boxes sandwiching the mid/tweeter section), but this design intrigues me.

Are you planning to bi-amp (or even tri-amp) this center? I have my doubts about an amplifier being able to handle two 15-inch woofers, along with the midrange and tweeter... I would tend to try a separate amp for each bass module, and one for the midrange and tweeter horns, but I am no designer or engineer.

There are two 8" (: