advice on reference choices for rears....

wfo1955

• Moderators

Just throwing this out for thought...do you really need 7.1? There aren't many blurays that are encoded as 7.1 and if they are not, your receiver will just matrix from the side surrounds and feed it to the back surrounds.

Will you be powering your speakers with just a receiver? If so, I would encourage you to consider picking up a 3 or 5 channel amp (maybe 200 watts/ch). This will really bring your system to life and I believe you will get much more return on your investment than by adding two additional speakers.

Another reason I suggest this is that your AVR will be taxed by powering 5 speakers and really taxed powering 7. My Yamaha is rated at 140 x 7 but in bench tests, it puts out 100 x 5 and a whopping 55 x 7. It is very difficult for a receiver to drive 7 speakers.

I know that doesn't answer your original question and if I'm out of line, I appologize.

If you do decide to go with back surrounds, my vote would be for the RB-81's which is what Klipsch recommends for the RF-63's and RF-83 system.

• Moderators

I'm bummed about having to buy a separate amp.

You don't have to...your receiver will drive the speakers and do so descently. The amp will just take your system to a new level.

I'm figuring on $1800.00 for the receiver

Spending $1800 on a receiver is getting into the range of a dedicated Pre/Pro and Amp.

Emotiva UMC-1 - $700

Emotiva XPA-5 - (200 x 5 ) for $900

If you need a 7 channel amp, this is a great price on a great amp - B&K 7270 (200 x 7)

yeah, the klipsch design for my rf-63's are rb-81 rears.

If I were you, I would opt for the RB-61's. They have a smaller footprint and a lower cost and they extend lower than the RB-81's. I also like the idea of having all 6.5 inch drivers all around the room.

I'm bummed about having to buy a separate amp.

As Youthman said, you don't need an outboard amp. Your receiver will work just fine under most conditions. Keep in mind, if you like the volume high and insist on at least 7.1, the amps in your receiver could be taxed too much and the power limiting circuitry will kick in and really degrade the sound. This is where an outboard amp comes into play.

I too agree with staying with 5.1 and adding an amp over using just a receiver and 7.1.

You might consider getting a used 3-channel amp and let your receiver drive the surrounds.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1300484691&/Acurus-A-200x3-3-channel-power

I have owned (2) of the Acurus 2-channel versions(A150) and found them to be very punchy, detailed, and built like tanks.

Bill

thanks guys....I see your point, with all the speakers I am going to use, rears may not be needed, I can always add them later if needed, but I think my system will rock and make movies come alive. Thanks for the recommendations for the amps. I will consider all of them, don't want to tax my AV receiver and burn it up or clip my speakers.

One more queston if I may, Klipsch says for a rf-63 system, I should use the rt-10d Sub. Could I or should I upgrade that to a 12"? or stay with their designed system? Thanks again for all of your quick replies, dig this forum.

• Moderators

Youthman, you have some AWESOME Blasters there!!!!

Thx
Patricius. It's been a long process but the journey has been the best
part. We are all on the journey...just at different places along the
road. Be sure to update your profile with your gear and location. Welcome to the forums.

but I think my system will rock and make movies come alive.

Your current speakers will indeed rock without adding 2 more speakers. When I added a pair of RB-35's to make mine 7.1, I noticed a SIGNIFICANT drop in volume. I didn't realize my wattage had went from 140w/ch down to 55w/ch. After reading bench test results, I then found out why I was disappointed with 7.1 and had to turn it up a lot more to acheive the same volume as before with 5 speakers. I sold them and now am very happy with my 5.1 system.

clip my speakers.

That's one of the greatest benefits of an amp. Get an amp with say 200 watts/ch and you will have plenty of headroom to prevent clipping from occurring

One more queston if I may

Sorry....you have reached your quota for today. [;)]

Klipsch says for a rf-63 system, I should use the rt-10d Sub. Could I or should I upgrade that to a 12"? or stay with their designed system? Thanks again for all of your quick replies, dig this forum.

IMO, the sub is much more open for your taste, style, and even brand. Klipsch makes great subs. Me personally, I prefer a sub with a 15" driver. If I could find a Velodyne HGS15, or even a DD18 (18" driver) for a crazy cheap price, I would get it to pair with my HGS15. LOL I want to not only hear the bass, I want to feel it. So if it were me, I would go with at least a 12" sub.

Many guys around here have enjoyed Velodyne, HSU, Epik, SVS, Elemental Designs just to name a few. You don't necessarily have to have a Klipsch sub for it to sound good.

thanks guys....I see your point, with all the speakers I am going to use, rears may not be needed, I can always add them later if needed, but I think my system will rock and make movies come alive. Thanks for the recommendations for the amps. I will consider all of them, don't want to tax my AV receiver and burn it up or clip my speakers.

One more queston if I may, Klipsch says for a rf-63 system, I should use the rt-10d Sub. Could I or should I upgrade that to a 12"? or stay with their designed system? Thanks again for all of your quick replies, dig this forum.

Will your sub be pulling double duty? Mine does, as I us my system 50/50 (HT/music). The RT-12d looks very impressive, but I've no idea what the price is?? The high end Klipsch subs do well enough on HT and music - unless you want a Klipsch sub for uniformity there are other brands out there. There are many on this forum that swear by SVS. I have found nirvana with Velodyne's Optimum series - I can hear deep, smooth, and powerful bass but cannot pinpoint where it's coming from - it fills the entire room and you can feel it on movies - great sub.

RT-12d is WAAAAY different than the RW-12d.

I would imagine you could get the RT-12d for around a grand, used. That is IF you can find one. The RT series seam pretty hard to come by used. I love my 10 (I got it for a steal...) but, I would look into SVS, HSU, or a nice used Velodyne if you aren't dead set on Klipsch.

RT-12d is WAAAAY different than the RW-12d. I would imagine you could get the RT-12d for around a grand, used. That is IF you can find one. The RT series seam pretty hard to come by used. I love my 10 (I got it for a steal...) but, I would look into SVS, HSU, or a nice used Velodyne if you aren't dead set on Klipsch.

My mistake! I read RT-12d and thought RW-12d...Yeah, I haven't seen any RT-12d online for sale...sorry for the confusion.

Corn,

No problem, my man! There are so many models that it's easy to read them wrong sometimes! The RW series are nice subs, and can be had for great deals.

One thing about the RT's that is so great is the performance/footprint ratio is pretty high IMO. The corner design really allows you to save some space in your overall set up. That is, of course, it you have an open corner!

Just throwing this out for thought...do you really need 7.1? There aren't many blurays that are encoded as 7.1 and if they are not, your receiver will just matrix from the side surrounds and feed it to the back surrounds.

Fwiw, going from 5.1 to 7.1 was an upgrade for me and I am a fan of using large speakers all of the way around. The coolest thing I noticed is that my Denon AVR 4806 sends different information (depending how it's encoded) to my rear speakers on DVD-A/SACDs and it does sound like an independent channel back there. YMMV and it really depends on your HT environment and the speakers you choose.

{EDIT: I also agree with not using a lower-end AVR to run larger Reference speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 config}