Surgery on my Belles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am a "newer" owner of a pair of 1986 Belles. I haven't had them that long, maybe about 4-6 weeks or so. after having them for a couple weeks, i opened them up a little to see what they could do. In some songs i noticed that the Tweeter on the left side was crackling. For those that have ever heard it you know what i mean. I thought for sure the diaphram was toaster, and i need to get new ones installed. Not a big deal really, but more of an annoyance than anything. I couldnt take it anymore. i got up today at about 6AM and started taking the Belle apart.

Off with the top, and one of the wires fell off. What are you kidding? Nope, no kidding. The small wire that goes from the Xover to the tweeter, just fell off.

Well I guess the good thing is that it didnt take long to find and fix the problem.

post-2101-13819636486212_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

On the K77, there are two terminals one on each side. Upon closer inspection i found that the two terminals had no soldier on them at all

ZIP, ZERO, NADA. [:o] Holy Crap, What? No soldier? These are Vintage 1986. They have lasted the last 25 years with no soldier. I am acutally quite suprised that the wire hadnt come off earlier. I am also quite surprised that the previous owner didnt notice this.

I noticed this right away when i turned it up a little. i could hear the crackle in the tweeter on higher volume. Look closely at the terminals on the next two pictures, there is no soldier at all where the wire would thread through the holes.

post-2101-13819636496102_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

5 minutes later, Soldier is done. I put be top section back on the belles, and Guess what, no more crackle.

Life is good. Now they can fulfill their full destiny, which is good clean tunes.

post-2101-13819636511202_thumb.jpg

cold solder joints or no solder joints is a common problem. if soldering is not your bag, the pinch crimp terminal spades that slide on work just as good. one thing to remember is the polarity of the connections.....sounds pretty basic...but you never know.

Guest Anonymous

Is solder spelled soldier in Canada? Smile

Well i thought it was, but i might just be an idiot[;)] (been accused of that before...lol)

There are several differences though....example Centre, and Center, ABCD....WXY Zed, or ABCD....WXY Zee, color, and colour.

its all good were all friends here. [Y][:D]

Guest Anonymous

The Belle is not quite as deep as the La Scala. The horn on the La scala is quite a bit larger than the Belle.

One good thing is that, i am going to refinish these guys too. This cabinet almost comes completely apart. i can also get new grill cloth on which i am excited about. not sure if i will go with the oak like my La Scala's or keep the teak finish.

For some reason I thought the Belle had the same mid range horn as the LSHmm

The La Scala and Belle use the same woofers and tweeters, and the same mid driver, just not the same mid horn.

The La Scala mid horn is the K400/401, which is around 20 inches long. The Belle cabinet is only 18-1/2 inches deep, so it uses the K700/701 mid horn, which is around 14 inches long.

Guest Anonymous

You know.

I replaced the Caps in my La Scala's and they sound so good, Was a Bob Sonicaps special...he also sold me the grill cloth i needed.

I did a bit of an A-B test on my La Scala's and my Belles today. Belles are flat compared to the la Scala's

I need to contact Bob again for some Sonicaps. That will have to wait until my Sub gets here.

Guest Anonymous

teak finish.

you have belles in teak and you never posted pictures.

Yeah, they have have potential to be something great, I love them. However they are missing some veneer, this is why i want to refinish them. im thinking about the same Oak as my La Scala job.