Laptop & Khorns?

Lil' Brian

Would it be possible to use a wireless Macbook laptop and wireless Khorns? I heard a laptop system last night (with a zillion songs on it) and a pair of hardwired B&O speakers. The convenience was mindboggling but he thought it might be possible to incorporate wireless Khorns instead. Just curious.

A friend of mine uses a Macbook to control his tube pre/cornwalls and music selections. It is not wireless but possibly the same idea? He has his volume set on the pre to the upper end and controls it through the application. It provides him with quick access to his music and volume control. I think he is just using a simple program like Windows Media Player for storage and control.

Diminished sound quality with this set up? That I dont know. It would be my guess his system does not sound as good as it would through a quality CD player but he is happy with it. Personally I prefer the old fasioned single tray disc.

I have seen others write on here about great storage devices, I am sure someone will chime in soon.

Guest Anonymous

I have used a laptop connected to my amplifier, and Cornwall II's(when i had them). It seemed to work ok. the problem is the sampling rate of digitized music. Music any less that 192kbps doesnt sound good.

I now do the same type of thing in my system. I plug a USB stick into my PS3 and play music from there. PS3 is actually a decent solution for me. Music and movies all on one device. USB songs must be at a decent quality. Its just as good as CD's except you can store hundreds of songs in directories depending on the size of your stick.

Turbox.

one of my audio "sources" is a logitech duet. this unit receives files and/or streams internet radio stations from my wireless home network. you load the logitech server software on your laptop or desktop, rip your files to an internal or external HD in whatever format you prefer and you're good to go.

this allows the jump from digital to my tube amp, tube pre and khorn system.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems

there are other companies that provide a similiar solution such as

meridian http://www.meridian-audio.com/sooloos/ and

sonos http://www.sonos.com/Default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033&gclid=CJLny5ze8aYCFcPt7QodWHtnHQ and

olive http://www.olive.us/?SSAID=142965

the logitech is one of the lower cost solutions. admittedly, the dac is average at best. I'm running the digital signal from the logitech unit to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic outboard dac with very good results. However, this increases the cost considerably.

not sure if this was what you were after but hope this helps..

Would it be possible to use a wireless Macbook laptop and wireless Khorns? I heard a laptop system last night (with a zillion songs on it) and a pair of hardwired B&O speakers. The convenience was mindboggling but he thought it might be possible to incorporate wireless Khorns instead. Just curious.

I assume the idea is to be able to sit in a chair and be able to play any tune you want on your computer without having a mess of cables to deal with. I have my music server (an old Dell dedicated to playing music) in my music studio. I have the computer also connected to the TV in the LR so I can sit in my chair in the LR and have the computer screen duplicated on the TV. Using a wireless keyboard I can control the computer from my chair. The Dell is connected to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic that has two outputs, one to the tube amp in my studio that drives my K-horns, the other to the tube amp in the LR that runs the La Scalas. Yes, the convenience is "mindboggling." [H]

Lil' Brian,

Something like the Sonos ZP120 or ZP90 will allow what you're asking about. Basically, its a wireless amp that hooks directly up to your speakers, then plays the music that is stored on your lap-top, music server, etc. It's a pretty vague description, I know, but you can get the complete scoop at the Sonos website. It's a very cool set-up, and I was contemplating one myself, but I went pure digital instead.

Marty

Just for the accessibility and freedom this is just amazing to me. Switching from track to track instantly? With Khorns and a tube amp (or like product [+o(]) and a wireless laptop? No! With potentially thousands of albums at your fingertips? Seriously? Now that would be cool! You have that now? You all are gods to me (along with the guy that sold me my speakers). [G] ha! I just want it too.

Brian the newbie