photos of my new to me 65 Khorns with problems & ?

Cornman

They sounded great at the sellers home with good corners. Buy here, they sound very poor, as seen in photo no corrners.

No bass, the horns are to honky, the sound is so elevated I feel likeI need to sit on a bar stool just to get in range, all in all very disapointing. Hopefully things will improve with backs installed, if not they will be up for sale & I will return to my Cornwalls.

Can some one share a link for instructions on building backs, the only one I have been able to find is from Dean G, that proably works well but I am hoping to build somthig more like the 60th anniversery edition. Indyklipschfan & Me loves Khorns & Don, didnt you guys build some backs?

Another question- I have the Bec A-AA xover's which selection offers the smoothest top end?

Any & all help appreciated,

Cornman

Posted Image

Posted Image

I looked though the forum for a couple of weeks and read every post on enclosing the backs, false corners, and the like and settled on building the ones I wrote up in updates and mods section.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/142576.aspx

There are some small changes I will make when I do the next pair but for 3 sheets of plywood that is just screwed together they work quite nicely. The Klipschorns in the photos cost $500 and they needed a lot of work to make them solid again. They still need more work and I hope to get new photos sometime but the camera broke during the build and I have yet to replace it.
Here is a link to a search on enclosed AND backs
http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=enclosed+AND+backs&o=Relevance

Please take a few hours and start reading and you will see almost all of the builds. Also search for TSCM and read those.

You may want to rethink the shelving in your corners, that’s where I would start and just see if you really need to enclose the backs.

Cheer up, they will sound quite a bit better once you have some backs or false corners. I prefer the false corner strategy. If you install a back it will probably decrease the re-sale value if that is an issue for you.

Good luck,

-Tom

I bought a pair from a guy who had them sitting in the middle of the floor. They do not sound good at all this way. They will come alive once you get them in a corner.

You need to build the Klipschorn false corners like PWK did. He didn't have two perfect corners either. False backs are good but you need to extend the corners out a couple feet. Or you can try them in a different room just to hear what you are missing. They look nice.

khorn_false_corners.jpg

front%20resized2.jpg
khornsm.jpg

Cheer up, they will sound quite a bit better once you have some backs or false corners. I prefer the false corner strategy. If you install a back it will probably decrease the re-sale value if that is an issue for you.

Good luck,

-Tom

Why would putting backs on them decrease the value. That does not make any sense.

Hey Joe, Give them little time ! When I got my first set I didnt like them either. I doubt them are producing any imaging the way they are and all your hearing are the 2 horns. The backs I use are very simp;e to make if you have access to a table saw. I havent installed the piece that goes over the baseboard cut outs on the tailboard yet as I need to find some weather stripping to seal them.

post-29696-13819637836854_thumb.jpg