Heresy I Refinish - Pics Update 4/25/11 - Motorboard Assembled

SuBXeRo

the previous owner of this pair redid the crossover already, i should def keep crites upgrade in mind. I want more bass but i really dont want to invert the woofer, i think id be more apt to increasing the cabinet size before that.I mean, as is, i think i will be moving the drivers infront of instead of behind the baffle to try and give a more of a flush look, but then again, they wouldntsit flush unless i cut out wood to have it sit flish

anyone use this "wet look" stuff, id like to give the woofer a nice dark sleek look.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=340-513

I could be wrong but I think all that is being recommended is that take the screws out of the woofer, turn it 180 degrees and reattach the woofer in the same manner as it was before. Very easy. The logic being that it has sat the way it is for over 30 years and that has effected the voice coil. Turning it 180 degrees will apply pressure the other way.

I'm pretty sure PWK has the internal dimensions of the box right, I'd be reluctant to increase the cabinet size, you'll probably throw the whole sound out of wack doing that. The Heresy isn't big bass producing speaker but its not the end of the world. I've owned a few pairs of Heresy and they sound incredible with a sub. Before I butchered a Heresy cabinet trying to get more bass out of it I'd go the easy way and buy a sub. A sub will give you improved sound quality even with larger speakers that have better bass response on their own. Both my Forte IIs and Cornwalls also benefit from having a sub in the mix.

I agree with Ironsave about getting a sub and just working around your neighbors, I think you'll enjoy the difference a lot regardless of what speakers you're using as your mains.

I can definitly rotate the woofer, i thought you all meant invert it to increase the volume of the cabinet to increase bass repsonse. I completely understand though, 29 years in the samne position is a long time. I contacted klipsch and the heresys are from 1982, basically 5 years older than me, not too shabby!

The last thing i want to do is butcher the enclosure, i mean, im not even considering that route really, i would have made an all new one if i did. The heresy was designed to be a center channel, makes sense, centers dont typically have thunderous bass response.

Needless to say, i did some more listening yesterday and have found that i do like the heresys. I think they sound great for techno/trance/dance which is what i usually listen to. I think a sub will for sure help out the bass response in the end though. My neighbor dude downstairs is retired or works from home, he is always there, sometimes i do go on neighbor watch and when hes not there i unleash the rf-5's and have a temporary dance party.

Here are just a couple of pics of the interior of the heresy. I was dumbfounded actually at how simple the crossover was and the cabinet design itself. I mean, i really shouldnt be i suppose, its a sealed cabinet, no need for intriquite air channels. But the crossover, wow, sooooooo simple. I mean, i could build one of this. New crossover designs now a days are much more complex, it kind of hurts my head.

heresy8.jpg

heresy9.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see one part on the crossover thats not orignal and I"m not sure what it is, but the two can looking caps should be replaced. I've read people put different caps or something in to attune the output of the tweeter or mid range if they feel one is too bright compared to the rest. I wonder if that is what that black thing is. I think you mentioned the prior owner had redone the crossovers but it looks to me it still needs to be done.

Give Bob Crites a call/email and he'll hook you up. You could also get the rubber gaskets that go between the mid driver and horn, and cloth to recover the grills while you're at it.

its pretty much all original except for the parts that were busted by the owner previous to him. I think i might just give him a call to figure out what the best thing to do is. Id do the gaskets but the not the grill clothe, heritage cloth...ewwwwwww

rivernuggets, i was thinking just those from PE.....same wavelength...

Using a few of those tenacious guys on our fridge. Truly amazing. So powerful that using them with a grille might be tricky. Make sure they're secure.

I'm also not sure what the seller installed on the crossovers in that pic. Here is a before-and-after cap upgrade on my '78 Heresy Is.

post-34666-1381963800197_thumb.jpg

i have no idea what it is eaither, it looks like a capacitor, but why there would be a cap there is beyond me. Everything else is hooked up pretty much the same. i am gonna call him and find out what it is.

maye i take it off and see what happens? both crossovers have it.

I gave the guy a call and found out that the capactiro was put in place to help smoothe out the midrange horn. I am going to order crites sonicaps in maybe a month or 2 and when everything is ready to be put back together i am going to test both with and without the capacitor that he added, parallel on the woofer pos and neg connections on the power strip.

That cap probably acheives what I acheive using my EQ.

I have my mids dialed back 3 notches on my receiver.

(Metal always sounds better to me this way).

The caps will be $40-$50 well spent.

I kinda suck at soldering; but I did fine. (I just cut the wires closest as possible to the old cap, stripped back; fluxed and soldered).

I wish i understood the mechanics behind crossovers much better than i do. It is such a simple circuit too, much simpler then an active crossover. Im quite good at soldering so i dont forsee and issue :)

I sanded one of the twins today with 60 grit and my sanding block, still have some more to do but it already looks a crapton better just with havinv rid the old stain and alot of the superficial scratches. Some are way too deep but i gotta deal with it.

HI if your going with a 2 channel sound i think you should try a Harman Kardon 430 reciever i got 3 they have about 24 watts ....out powered my 80 watt yammy..lol...and sounds alot better.Atleast try to borrow one to try it.Rick

Second that. I bought an HK 430 for $128 shipped on Ebay. Totally worth it. Very warm sound.

• Moderators

I concur that HK makes for a very sweet 2ch receiver. Had the AVR55 and loved it. Sold it, bought an Onkyo TX-SR703 since the HK did not have DTS processing. Onkyo had much more power and headroom but the HK sounded much better for 2ch listening. The Onkyo was much better for HT.

I wish i understood the mechanics behind crossovers much better than i do.

So get on it! You would if you had access to a good electronics text, some basic diagnostic tools, and you actually built an LC network from scratch. It's quite a learning experience to listen to something you schlepped together. Electronics aren't intuitive, otherwise everyone would be building and fixing their own stuff. Instead of pimping out your home or toy like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry, buy a kit and some used tech gear to help expand your understanding of things that truly mystify you. No one else is gonna force this stuff down your throat, and it is a very gratifying experience once you start to understand the concepts that drive the electronic design. You have to want it for yourself.

It is such a simple circuit too

Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I heard.....[^o)]

i have a HK in new jersey, my dad and i switched receivers, i took the sony 5.1 because it didnt work for what he wanted and it was older too. I loved that receiver, i used it for many years to power some bose 201's i have.

I will eventually pickup a crossover book and start reading it to learn.

Here is an idea for powering your Heresys that is right in your neck of the woods.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/2228082536.html

Marantz Stereo Receiver - $225 (Scottsdale & Shea )

Date: 2011-02-22, 8:24AM MST
Reply to: sale-896k6-2228082536@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
New condition Marantz stereo receiver. Retails for $500.00. Terrific value for only $225.00. I will give you a 90 day warranty. 480-216-9329 (installation available at extra charge)

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 2228082536-0 image 2228082536-1
It looks like the SR4023.

Bill

that is about 3 miles from where i live haha. I wish i had enough dough to get it tbh or i think i would. I havent really decided what i want to power them with or where i really will be using them haha. I figured when they were all fixed up. The marantz would probably do a great job too. rarble. one thing at a time!

• 2 weeks later...

I have completely sanded one cabinet down as far as i can go and feel i should go in order to have any veneer left. There are still some gouges that i am going to try and "soften" up with sand paper. I worked my way through the grits, 60, 150, 220 with a sanding block and its smoothe as a babies bottom. Needless to say it is a world of difference.

I will be wood puttying the motor board and refinishing with a new coat of black paint, a satin or high gloss poly will be the final coat. I was unable to salvage the vintage original stickers :(. I did however take pictures of them so that i can have prroof that they are what they are. It sucks, i tried to be careful but they bit the dust in the refinish. The rear was black and will also be painted black again with a high gloss finish.

I have decided that a dark espresso but not too dark as to show some wood grain will be the stain of choice and i will be applying HIGH gloss poly as the finish as i really want them to pop!

I also ordered my speaker terminal cups from parts-express, i choose a round cup with a square frame, round for ease of cut with a hole saw. I also ordered 12 neo mags for the grills that i will be building. I got speaker cloth from Jo-Ann's. Literally, the stuff was labeled, "Black Speaker Cloth" and it was 1 yard x 60 inches for 10 bux! Its a good quality black and a nice mesh to it!. After i finish snading the other cabinet i will decide on how to build the new grills and where to place the magents. I want to hide them so i will probably have to counter sink em and wood putty over the top as i dont want them showing on the motor board.

heresyrefinish1.jpg

heresyrefinish2.jpg

Sub,

Awesome job! Looks really good!

Maybe you could use putty to fill the gouges? I am not sure how this would show on the final results though......

Cute cat also!

FYI, I just got a Harmon Kardon AVR 635. It is awesome with 2 channel and great with movies also.

It is only rated 75wpc x 7, and 95 wpc for 2 channel.

It goes louder than the Onkyo did in 2 channel (much louder) and in 7 channel it is as lod or louder....

The Onkyo weighed 32 pounds; the HK is 41 pounds...... I got it for $100......

(Not bragging; just illustrating the deals are there if you look regularly enough).

Music sounds even better than with the Onkyo...... WOW. [H]