Pair of LaScala's user "can't get them to work" - for sale

Beechnut

Should be able to just unsolder the wires from he tweeters I figure.

So....how to get into the lower portion of the cabinet. Seems pretty glued together. Any thoughts.

And thanks for all the support so far!!! Always heard this community was awesome!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to get to the woofers...(assuming there bottom access) get your self one of these at sears...its an impact screw driver...you use a hammer and it turns the screws and gets them out easy...once they start to move, you can use a regular screw driver.

post-22082-1381963873272_thumb.jpg

those crossovers look like someone took a flame thrower to them....how good are you with a soldering gun? If I send you some new caps...can you handle replacing them? shoot me your address via PM or email. I'll send you some decent caps....not super primo...but they won't be charcoal broiled. Go out and get yourself some star lock washers to put under the screws on the crossover network.

Carefully give the screws a try and see if you can just screw them out. If not, then look for an impact driver or similar. I use a battery powered impact driver that works well. You appear to have electrically open woofers and those bottoms have to come off to figure that out. Maybe its just a loose wire but more likely the voice coils are open on those. People sell the proper Klipsch woofers on here regularly, but more digging needed first.

With the woofer unhooked, I should be able to hook up the horn and tweeter to the crossover and test them with my a/v receiver correct??

Your not really gonna hook anything up to THAT crossover, are you?

The woofer was hooked up when i opened the cabinet. Unhooked to test it.

"That" crossover...

Soooo, how can I bench check the crossover with a multimeter before hooking speakers up to it? All I have for an input would be my av receiver at the moment. Could check voltage across the output terminals.

Wait a second. Here is the schematic for the type AA xover. With only a multimeter, and no drivers connected, if you still get .9 and the other at 2.9. , what that means is that the caps are shorted, or something is shorted, and you likely only measureing the autoformer and tweeter inductor to ground. Your not measuing the woofer inductor since it's out of circut with no woofer connected (open woofer). Why risk connecting a working amp to this crossover. Caps are on the way. wait til you replace the caps and remeasure once the new caps are in.

post-22082-138196387806_thumb.jpg

That is an awesome project that you are undertaking. Those crossovers look terrible! Those caps are def shot, i mean, the casings are rusty plus they are 76's and those caps from what i understand dont stay terribly good for long periods, but hell, id say for 34 years old new caps wouldnt be such a bad thing anyways.

Cabs need some work but should turn out nicely.

Good Luck!

I'll standby on the crossover. Gonna check the other woofer tonight once I get into the cabinet.

Also, I did run the test leads across the terminals on the speaker while the speaker was still inside the cabinet. Wires to the crossover were disconnected. Since the 7P ran open, I'll be pulling it out of the cabinet.