HELP with selecting my next home theater receiver

BigCliff

Time to replace my Marantz ZR 6001, after several days of research these 3 are what I have narrowed down my choices to. These are all factory refurbished/reconditioned. Please give your opinions on what you think I should choose and why if possible. Your help will be genuinely appreciated.

Onkyo TX-NR808-----$625 shipping included

Marantz SR6005------$650 shipping included

Marantz SR6004------$525 shipping included

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliff,

Based on reviews.... I would skip the Marantz SR6004. Looks like it was a buggy model; and if buying refurbed..... may continue to be:

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR6004-Audio-Video-Receiver/product-reviews/B002KKCPAQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The SR6005 looks like a nice unit; but not sure how accurately Marantz rates the 110wpc. It weighs in at 26 pounds.....

The Onkyo is rated at 135wpc; and is 3d tv ready? WOW. It weighs 43 pounds..... WOW.

My HK AVR 635 weighs 41 pounds; my Onkyo TXSR702 weighed 33 pounds.....

My vote goes to the Onkyo.

That being said; having been treated to your living room system with the Marantz receiver you have; it sounded DEADLY.

Have you considered Harmon Kardon? I know little about their latest offerings; but mine is the most musical receiver I have ever heard.....

I sold my Onkyo a few days ago; it's great; but the HK is just a little better sounding to me. (And louder; even though only rated at 75wpc x 7; 95 wpc stereo).....

Good Luck, my friend..... [:)]

I got the Onkyo TX-NR808 a few months ago. Very Happy!

Thanks for your input. Was the set up menu easy to work with?

Cliff, if the setup is anything like the TX SR702 (it is); it is not difficult; despite the fact there are many options......

Once mastered..... It is a beautiful thing.

I got the Onkyo TX-NR808 a few months ago. Very Happy!

Thanks for your input. Was the set up menu easy to work with?

Once you get by that slippery slope of a learning curve, it's very easy - and more or less full screen!

One caveat though in my use. I use external power amps, as you can see in my equipment list, with the 808 and have never run the internal amps to speakers.

Let me also add that the 808 runs a little hot - Normal - Be sure you have good ventilation.

Good early evening,I've used the Onkyo NR808 since Late November and I will say that the set up is relatively easy. I’m no expert but I will say that it’s upscale of SD makes watching children’s shows almost bearableJ. Good thing she loves music more!

So back on track, It took me about an hour or so of set up, it’s pretty wife friendly as the remote is easier to use than most. One flaw that I’ve noticed is that if you’re running it through a “monster clean power” it can sometimes lose audio(I will be updating firmware today and will try to re-create issue). Maybe it’s the monster set up I’m not sure but it’s happened a handful of times. Then again maybe the child is playing with the filters. Enough of the babble I’m trying to help.

The Audyssey MultEQ is a breeze for set up and worth using. You’ll have fun tweaking the system for the remainder of your days! How ever if you’re using it for the 3D ready I’d look elsewhere. Direct connection of your 3D BD player would be best.For the money it’s the best bang for your buck! Good luck, if you have any questions please feel free!

Annnnnnnd i'm back, firmware updated about 2 hours ago. So far so good, i've pushed it a bit with switching sources etc, i should have updated awhile ago. Cliff my friend if the sound issue doesn't return in the next 24 hours i'd say you're golden.

The AV has enough juice to power just about anything, OH i will say that it struggled a bit to push a pair of Rectlinear Highboy III's, which was given to me from my 85 year old neighbor. I will however get into them this weekend and see if they need major updating which could be the culprit.

Annnnnnnd i'm back, firmware updated about 2 hours ago. So far so good, i've pushed it a bit with switching sources etc, i should have updated awhile ago. Cliff my friend if the sound issue doesn't return in the next 24 hours i'd say you're golden.

The AV has enough juice to power just about anything, OH i will say that it struggled a bit to push a pair of Rectlinear Highboy III's, which was given to me from my 85 year old neighbor. I will however get into them this weekend and see if they need major updating which could be the culprit.

What(via what) did you have to do to upgrade it? Hope it stays working

I have eliminated the Marantz SR 6004 from my list but Matt(Ironsave) has now got my interest in the Harmon Katdon AVR3600.

That Harmon Kardon AVR3600 is a great choice. BigCliff the HK may be a bit expensive but it is a very well built receiver, honest specs, and something you would be very happy with.Yes

I am leaning that way but my only concern is the 80wpc. My current Marantz is 90wpc and I am a little leary going down in power.

From my Onkyo and Marantz experience:

Onkyo: Great for home theater - lacking for music. Very poor channel separation in 2 channel music.

Marantz: Great for home theater and music. Handled 2 channel music very well.