HELP with selecting my next home theater receiver

BigCliff

I did at one time have a harman/kardon HK3490 2 channel integrated amp with my Forte IIs. I really loved that amp. Only reason I got rid of it is I went from a 2 channel setup to a surround setup. In fact, the guy I bought my Forte IIs was very concerned as to what amplification I was going to use since he had used vintage tube amps since the day he bought them. I told him that I had the h/k and he said he was glad. Mentioned something about the Mark Levinson brand being a parent/sister company to h/k.

I know h/k products may seem to be low on wattage but in the real world they perform incredibly well. They're probably one of the few companies who accurately measure and rate their power.

I'd probably pick Marantz, h/k, Onkyo in that order from 1st to 3rd choices.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wuzzer,

I think the Onkyo was fabulous for 2 channel; so I slightly disagree there.

I do believe my HK is superior for 2 channel stereo; but the Onk was REALLY good at it also.

I am glad to hear the newer HKs are better in the menu department, because my menu SUCKS compared to the Onkyo......

The only Marantz experience I have ever had was with yours Cliff; and as I have said; DEADLY. Your living room with the Chorus IIs was AWESOME!!!!!

Hey Cliff; I take donations of recently replaced HT gear..... [8-|]

Matt no donations but it will be on Craigslist(actually is already), but I can not sell it till I get a new one.

Man I hate spending my money if I am not sure of the return. Right now It is Marantz/HK running neck and neck

and Onkyo right behind. I think it is going to come down to $$$$$ and which one I get the best deal on.

Matt do you think I should be concerned with the 80wpc on the HC, you do know how I like to CRANK IT UP! [6]

Hey cliff, i Updated the Firmware Via USB which did work like a charm. I tried to update Via Ethernet a few times before and it was rather sluggish. Yet the "networking" capability works like a charm to stream audio. My home is hard wired networked which was a 3 week issue intself.. you try running cables in a house built in 1893 with plaster walls. I like my Onkyo so far but wouldn't count the HK out

Matt no donations but it will be on Craigslist(actually is already), but I can not sell it till I get a new one. Man I hate spending my money if I am not sure of the return. Right now It is Marantz/HK running neck and neck and Onkyo right behind. I think it is going to come down to $$$$$ and which one I get the best deal on. Matt do you think I should be concerned with the 80wpc on the HC, you do know how I like to CRANK IT UP! Devil

Cliff, I honestly think 80 wpc on the HK would at least equal the 90wpc you have now.

Remember, the Chorus IIs are super efficient. (Aren't they like 96 or 98db/ watt/ meter?).

I would investigate it further though..... Mine is 75w x 7 and 95w x2 (in stereo). The 75w x 7 is as loud as the Onkyo's 100w x7 and the HKs 95w x2 owned the Onkyo's 100w x2......

I think the Onkyo rated at 135wpc would probably be capable of exceeding the max volume of the 80w HK or the Marantz SR6005..... But I am basing this on my experience only..... That's assuming it is (somewhat) accurately rated......

The Chorus IIs are 101db efficient. I have had them pretty much maxed when I had them hooked up to the

220wpc Kenwood stereo amp had to be pushing close to 120 decibles. We were not close to that when

you listened to them. The Hk 3600 consumes 890 watts maximum all channels driven so that is telling me

it has LOTS OF BALLS for 80 watts per channel. Just wish I could hear it at home with my system

before buying. I know the 110 wpc Marantz6005 will do the job.

BigCliff, I could not have said it any better then what Wuzzer had posted about HK being one of the few companies who accurately measure and rate their power. Im not affiliated with Harmon Kardon in any way, shape, or form, but it states on there website that they offer free ground shipping and they give there receiver's a standard 2 year warranty. I think that is pretty darn good IMO.

I'd have to say that I disagree, the 808 is fabulous on either HT or 2 channel. IMO the channel separation is excellent.

I know it's outside your budget, but another receiver I'd look at is the Anthem MRX-500. It's getting some wicked reviews, but it's $1500

BigCliff for the heck of it I called HK and asked them what there return policy was in reference to receiving a full refund if you were not happy with the receiver they stated 10 days from the day you receive it. 10 days is really not alot of time but maybe it is for you. Anyhow good luck with your decision, im sure that you will be happy with whatever receiver you decide to go with.[Y] Im using a Yamaha RX-V2700 and I love this thing. Goodluck.

BigCliff for the heck of it I called HK and asked them what there return policy was in reference to receiving a full refund if you were not happy with the receiver they stated 10 days from the day you receive it. 10 days is really not alot of time but maybe it is for you. Anyhow good luck with your decision, im sure that you will be happy with whatever receiver you decide to go with.Yes Im using a Yamaha RX-V2700 and I love this thing. Goodluck.

Thanks for checking that out, I am sure that whatever I get I will keep but it is good to know I have that option.

I'd have to say that I disagree, the 808 is fabulous on either HT or 2 channel. IMO the channel separation is excellent.

I know it's outside your budget, but another receiver I'd look at is the Anthem MRX-500. It's getting some wicked reviews, but it's $1500

Well I can tell you one thing for sure that $1500 is not going to happen. My wife would clobber me. LOL

Cliff,

Sorry to complicate this selection even worse, here is a used Marantz SR-7002 in your neck of the woods.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1303976887&/Marantz-SR7002-mint-condition

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/content/marantz-sr7002-av-receiver-0

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr7002-hdmi/measurements-analysis-report

This receiver should be able to bring the goods.

Bill

Looks like the SR7002 performs well with the wattage ratings.....

Amazon shows one review from November.... His HDMI cut out; says its common with this model..... IDK.

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7002-Surround-Receiver/product-reviews/B000X14W4G/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

This guy has serious issues also:

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7002-Surround-Receiver/product-reviews/B000X14W4G/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addTwoStar

There are bound to be a few bad units no matter what; but when buying refurbed..... You get a warranty.

Cliff,

Sorry to complicate this selection even worse, here is a used Marantz SR-7002 in your neck of the woods.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1303976887&/Marantz-SR7002-mint-condition

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/content/marantz-sr7002-av-receiver-0

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr7002-hdmi/measurements-analysis-report

This receiver should be able to bring the goods.

Bill

Bill,

Well I guess you did complicate my selection but in a good way. I am not a member of audiogon but I am in the process of getting one and contacting the seller.

His zip code is right by my mother's house, whom I visit at least once a week. If he comes down in price I may just go that route.

Cliff

Well I can tell you one thing for sure that $1500 is not going to happen. My wife would clobber me. LOL

That's why I have my secret "slush" fund! [:)]

If it disappears into the equipment rack there are no questions, but I will have to explain the 2 additional Heresy Is that are showing up at the end of the week! [:|]

I would beware of the lack of features on the 7001 or 7002 models, I don't know about sound.I do know the 6005 is a non starter after my audition.The latest models in avrs have hdmi color menus, overlay on hdmi etc...older ones may not.It's more fun to pull up a menu overlayed on your movie etc...vs going to a different screen.The HK's are really good for sound and power, Onkyo is ok for sound and great for features/operation.