H

Axz Hout

I would think that it would be dependant on your location? I think a mile would be easy in the Country, in town, how far is the police station? I would say in the better geographic locations 12 miles may be possible.I can easily hear a noon whistle 6 miles from my house.I think Motorhead should have a good shot at it.[Y]

Hello music lovers! I have my stereo to mostly listen to music, but I can run the lap thru it to here UTube etc on the Internet. I have Khorns and center LaScala up front, running stock drivers, ie K33 K55 K77. SAE MK25 running the Khorns 300watts per channel. SAE MK3 for the LaScala 120 watts. I can hear them very well inside, I usually listen to music at 80db with 90db peaks. These speakers are from 1975 and will play very loud! Inside easily the three speakers reach 120db together. When I put them on the patio outside I can hear them At least a mile away across the lake. What is fartherest distance you can you hear your speakers outside?. I see some forum members have Pro Klipsch with the K43 so they should really carry distance outside. I have heard claims that Motorheads PA carries over 12 miles outside, is that really possible? Lightning

As stated prior, lay of the land, flat, trees?, all will affect how far the sound can travel. How high are the sound reproducers mounted, to allow for curvature of the earth? Of course sound will travel further across water. (love to watch fireworks on the 4th from a boat). Next, sensitivity is more important to how loud the speakers go then is wattage. Your older Klipschorns are 104 db sensitive at 1 watt at 1 meter. My TSCM pro Klipschorns are 106 db sensitive at 1 watt at 1 meter. MCM 1900s and KP-600s are 108 db at 1 watt at 1 meter, then we have things like my TSCMs have four K-55 drivers and two K-79 drivers per top hat. I have seven TSCMs, so that is as many K-79 drivers as 14 standard Klipschorns and as many K-55 drivers as 28 standard Klipschorns. Steve Kovats is working on his second set of KP-600s, with 108 db sensitivity, he will have eight 18" woofers, eight 15" woofers, four 10" woofers, plus six mid high compression drivers, and eight K-77 drivers. There are alot of guys on here with alot of the big pro gear these days capable of surpassing the Klipschorn in output. Indy Klipsch Fan "Roger" has seven Pro Split La Scalas with all K-43 woofers in his home theatre as another example. A single pair of MCM-1900s has almost four times the accousticle output of a pair of older Klipschorns or La Scalas. You need to experience some of the big Pro stuff in person. [Y][;)]

Roger

Sure, you can have your main speakers a mile or more away, but make sure your surrounds are just as far. What kind of speaker wire are you using? For a 5.1 channel set up, you'll be using a minimum 6 miles of wire. I'd imagine you could get a pretty good price break for that amount. I'd call Cardas directly (don't even mess with your local dealer). You might need lasers to get the toe-in dialed. Plus, make sure the squawkers are at ear level for best imaging.

Michael Colter started it!!!

Meeting my friend Kevin Harmon, from here on these lists sealed the deal for me. [Y]

It used to be that only about 6 of us had MWM bins on this forum, now I'd say there are 12 or 15.

Several of us started collecting the big stuff. Kevin Harmon has the most complete collectin of big stuff so far.

When I heard a set of KP-600s for the first time, my 1998 Oiled Oak Klipschorns went on eBay the next week, to get a pair.

It is a true addiction! I traded kevin a KPT-684 Sub to get his extra K-600 electronic crossover so I would have a pair. Chasing down extra drivers, rad trips t Texas and Pittsburg for speakers! Meeting fellow forum members, and experiencing first hand, some of the great Pro speakers of Klipsch. I wish I had a set of Jubilees, but will probably buy another KP-600 system first if the right one comes along! You need to come listen to one of the guys here with the big stuff in their collection.

Welcome to the madness Christopher!! [Y][;)] ..... Roger

I think the most important questions raised are 1) How far away is the police station? & 2) How far away are the nearest neighbors, and what obstructions are between you and them? After 11 PM we don't play music loudly, try to watch it earlier in the day, and we now have extra thick walls in our music room/home theater.

In the 1960s, I had JBL 030s (similar in midrange efficiency to the Klipschorns -- see below) and they could be heard 2 residential city blocks away.--- with all windows and doors closed, and traffic going by. They could also fill a school auditorium with very loud sound ... all with 40 watts (RMS) per channel. Even though they were deficient in the bass below about 60 HZ (compared to Khorns) the lady in the next (unattached) house claimed they would shake her floor. I always told her that a big truck must have gone by. A bunch of us were wildly dancing the Can-Can with Offembach cranked up, and passersby rang the doorbell and pounded on the door. We were oblivious. The strangers were not angry; they just wanted to come in and hear the great sound. Little changed in a new very similar neighborhood the1980s with Klipschorns -- except they were smoother and had more robust bass. A neighbor was working in his garage, when a big bass emphasizing crash from a movie soundtrack came through the Khorns. The guy's wife came running out into his garage calling out, "Are you O.K.?" ...... then, "What did you do?" Later, when we added a subwoofer, we placed it on the wall farthest from the neighbors.

For comparison purposes, the JBL 030s (D130, 075, crossover, in C34 rear-loaded horn enclosures) were 2 dB less efficient than Klipschorns (thanks to the crossover attenuating them by that 2 dB). Klipschorns were then rated @ 54 dB EIA in the midrange (equivalent of about 103.5 dB @1w @1M), and the JBL system was rated @ 52 dB EIA.

Rodger (TCM) I was interested in the numbers of the older Klipsch Pro stuff you have. You are on Google images. Now I have an understanding why you sold your "little stock" Khorns!!!!! Soooo - how far away have you heard them outside?? Don't try to tell me you have a peanut amp and listen to whisper levels! Those things are taller than you!!

I'm the tall one in the pictures you speak of. I'm 6'3" and have my hand on top of the stack. You can also find pictures on the forum by doing a search for "feeding the TSCM fever" as the TSCM is a Pro Klipschorn. I've heard four stacks, or two pairs of KP-600s a couple of times at full throttle. Both at a jazz festivle in Laffeyete Louisianna with Kevin Harmon, and Kevin Harmon also owned two pairs or 4 stacks for a short while. In the wall of sound picture at Kevins shop, one pair of his KP-600s, his MCM-1900s, and my KP-600s minus the 18 inch woofers are vissible. We took Kevins MCM-1900s to a cook out at a biddy of his on a 20 acre lot, and had problems from sound complaints about .5 miles down the road in the opposite direction from where the speakers were pointed.

Roger