Musical impact of Heresy II compared to KG5.5?

dale_s

A friend is looking to swap his Heresys for a laptop. I own KG5.5 and am looking into Corwalls.

My question is if the Heresy IIs can match the bass depth and impact of my KG5.5s. I know it is all a matter of personal preferance. The specs show that the KG5.5s can go lower, but I believe the Heresy II are more sensitive.

The Heresy IIs at 4 ohm are a better match for my tube amps....

...ahh to many choices!

Question: My question is if the Heresy IIs can match the bass depth and impact of my KG5.5s?

Answer: no but you can add a sub or two to a Heresy based system. A pair of Forte would get you deeper than a Cornwall but not as loud or pair of KLF 20 or a Chorus ll would get you into the Cornwall level range but with better bass extension. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Heresys will not come close to KG 5.5s in the bass department...but Heresys will have a midrange that your KGs can't match...and the top is nicer (if you like Heritage better) than the KGs too...it all depends on what you want...and what you want them to do...

Bill

I have Heresy IIs as surrounds, and used them at work for one year as mains. In both of these uses they seemed to need help in the bass (and they get this help in the surround configuration with bass management and a sub). At work, I took the time to place them very carefully, and several of the (college and grad school) students and faculty said they had rarely heard sound that good ... but that's Heritage! The midrange and treble are really excellent.

Heresys will not come close to KG 5.5s in the bass department...but Heresys will have a midrange that your KGs can't match...and the top is nicer (if you like Heritage better) than the KGs too...it all depends on what you want...and what you want them to do... Bill

Thanks for everyone's input! This is helpfull.

I was afraid that others would agree that the impact of KG 5.5 is tough to beat. Part of the issue is the age old question of two vs three way. Or small fast cones vs large slower cones.

I would be using these in my shop so there is no sweet spot. Just looking to fill the room with ear pleasing music (Joe Satriani,Santana, Megadeath).

Of course I could use the Heresy's on my test bench when tweaking amp...

Anyone want to offer an opinion on Cornwalls vs KG 5.5s?

Quote: the age old question of two vs three way. Or small fast cones vs large slower cones.

Dale: part one of your question can only be decided by you and your ears and taste. I will say the benefit of a three way to me is huge. Most all your music is comming off of one speaker in a good three way. In the case of a Forte the mid horn runs from 650 Hz. to 6KHz. so that's virtuallall the important musical information. The woofer and tweeter fill in the extreems. With a two way the woofer has to run well up into the mid, typically around 1800 Hz or so. A crossover at this frequency is most easilly detected by your ear/brain combination. Three ways do have more crossover complexity and associated losses but they achieve the goal of keeping the crossover out of the ear/brains most sensitive region of the mid range.

With regards to the second part of your question "small and fast Vs big and slow" I believe that is an incorrect assumption. There is no reason that a large woofer cannot be just as fast as a small woofer just so long as you use a motor which is strong enough to dirve the moving mass of your cone. Take a look at the frequency response of any good 15 inch woofer some time. Dispersion characteristics is a whole other discussion but when you are crossing over your woofer at the frequencies used in a Klipsch 3 way it is not an issue. A ten inch woofer is easily pistonic in operation up to 900 Hz. or more. The term "small woofer" is a bit of an oximoron with woofers bigger is better.

I think that if you wanted to better a KG 5.5 you would be better looking at a Chorus ll or a KLF 20 both of which are 3 ways, in a 2 way you should look into a CF3. I am nor versed inthe pro Klipsch so perhaps one of the guys here who is could recommend a suitable jack hammer for you to consider I am sure Klipsch has a pro speaker which could rock your world. I want to learm about them myself. Best regards Moray James.

A Chorus II of KLF 20 is not an option for me.

Since my space requires the speakers to be very close to the wall, I can not use a speaker with rear ports or rear passive radiator.

Maybe I'll just get both and see what works the best. I'm sure the wife will like the Cornwalls in the LR. NOT

Well ok Chorus l and as far as the KLF 20 goes the reflex vents could be placed on the front side of the cabinets in short order. Make a nice looking set of plugs and any owner could swap from front to back in a heart beat and still have it look nice. The vents just pop in and out.

IIRC there was a vent mod tor the Chorus which extended the vents for better bass but I cannot remember the name of the thread, perhaps someone here can. Best regards Moray James.

SWL - what are "Klipsch that don't sound like Klipsch...."?

The most laid back sounding Klipsch system I've assembled to date. Forward mids, offensive highs and "boxie" sounding bass do not reside here anymore. I attribute it to having tubes on the horns, an acoustically treated room and finally establishing proper placement. [Y]

My kids give me a hard time for my music.

Yeah, speaking of "my music"........

This is why I keep my KG's around. I can play all of my headbanger music on them. They're not as refined as my other Klipsch have been but I think that's why they work well with bad recordings. They have great bass and I can just plop them down anywhere and they sound decent......not so darn picky about placement. [:D]