how much better does a $100,000 system get from the best tubed klipsch system there is .....

quadklipsh

I'm going to stick my head out and let it get chopped off. I have not heard the new Klipsch P-39F so my opinion is based on limited facts so I'll apologize ahead of time. Stereophile was very enthusiastic about the product and that does carry some weight and I'm sure it's a fine system. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any reviewer that uses the P-39F in their reference system.

I personally prefer the sound of panel speakers and have heard a few big bucks systems. and while large systems may be out of financial reach for most of us, they can sound significantly better than more modest systems. In most cases it's not necessarily a better sound but more of a different sound. I'm sure I could be equally happy with both of the systems you have shown.

post-25429-13819639517088_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It all depends, and there is no " best ", we each have preferences as to what sounds best.

I have heard panel speakers about half that size, they sounded very good , I was also shocked at the power they were using.

I have heard the P-39F also very good, surprisingly good but completely different from the panel speakers. More aggressive, and the normal Klipsch live forward sound I like, done very very well. I would guess it would compare well to anything twice it's price.

Of course this is just my oponion.....but it's all I have to go on ! [:|]

Of course this is just my oponion.....but it's all I have to go on !

He's got such a big one...(opinion [^o)] ) that I'll have to steal a ride on his!

Somewhat rhetorically, if the Jubilee in the prettier format was destined to be priced in the 20K area.... yet, is available in industrial black for roughly 7K, what number should we use for the math? Looking to me like you're getting 20K in sound for 7K in price, less 13K in asthetics.

I think, for what they do well, it's certainly hard to quibble about panels. I also think, for what they do well, it's hard to quibble about horns. Given my love of dynamics, I think a $500 LaScala would smoke most panel speakers costing many times more.

• Klipsch Employees

Ok...no speaking for Klipsch...just for myself.

I don't care for harmonic distortion, even or odd...

I know what I like and if you were to set a Klipsch speaker system in place of the speakers shown in earlier pictures you could do the same or better job for less cash.

There are things I like about many of the klipsch lines over the years. I agree, the Jubilee done right is about the best sounding speaker I have ever had the honor to hear.

It took PWK a lot of time to get to that speaker. It took a lot of other engineers a lot of time to help provide PWK with the data he needed to get there. Get there he did.

the point of diminishing returns...its different for most everyone.

• Like 1

The most expensive that I've spent time with (a friends system) is a Watt Puppy and Krell system. Thinking it was about 50k. To me, the original question here makes me think more about the cheapest of Klipsch compared to the 100k system. Used Khorns or LaScala for $500-2k are still my preference over the 50k system I heard. Now that's quite a spread!

To me, the original question here makes me think more about the cheapest of Klipsch compared to the 100k system. Used Khorns or LaScala for $500-2k

well said tragusa3 ,

anyone here is welcome to take this thread that ways . id also like to compare so.

2-5 k klipsches run with some decent tube amps, compared to million dollar speakers run with whatever they want .

2-5 k klipsches run with some decent tube amps, compared to million dollar speakers run with whatever they want .

If you want the Klipsch Khorn sound, then there is only one way to get that, but if you think there are no other options, then I would have to disagree.

post-25429-13819639556378_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Russ I have never heard them, but I have moved them, stored them, and moved them again to another state and at #531 pounds per side it's not fun.

I am listening to two of those four horns right now, [Y] I would like to hear the whole stack, in a room or stadium either way.

Those ultra-expensive systems tend to be comprised of speaker arrays that require a lot of watts, and specialized amps to deliver those watts.

Speaking of "ordinary" amps, according to Nelson Pass, "Push-pull amplifiers generally operate in Class A mode up to a point where the output current is twice the value of the bias current. In the Class A region, both halves of the circuit share the signal simultaneously. Beyond that the signal is handled solely by the push (+) half of the amplifier or the pull (-) half."

This means that with sufficiently sensitive speakers you may be listening in class-A even though you have a class AB amp. For example, I have a very nice old (1973) Sansui AU-6500 integrated amp. The spec bias setting is 28-32ma, so according to Nelson Pass as long as the output current is below about 60ma, I'm in class-A. If I do the calculation for how much power to which that level corresponds for 8 ohms load (about 30milliwatts) and then use the sensitivity level of the La Scalas to estimate how loud that power level is... the transition from class-A to class-AB occurs at around 90 db spl.

This is one of the hidden values of ultra sensitive speakers - more of the music's dynamic range is delivered in class-A; for very moderate volume levels almost all of it.

My point? ...oh, I forgot to make a point. :)

Well, it could go in different directions but I guess my general point is that the fundamental design principles that many of us seek and enjoy from the big efficient Klipsch speakers may actually be best implemented well below the ultra high priced approaches that pursue different principles. If one sticks to the PWK approach to music reproduction there may not be just a diminishing return with further expense - there may be a "sweet spot" region beyond which those principles become violated and the nature of the resulting sound may depart sufficiently to be disappointing even with further expense.

I don't think it would be absurd at all to audition a $100K system, then go home and discover that one's own modest system actually offers more of what one seeks in music reproduction, be it purity, musicality, liveliness, tonal feel, so whatever - it depends so much on one's preferences. If one's preferences are actualized by adherence to fundamental principles that don't manifest well when abandoned or scaled up to a mega-system, I can see how the $100K system might not be "better" at all.

Just to make the point clear, even if a flawed example, I imagine that the total cost of some of the systems used in movie theaters might approach the $100K level, yet there must be many who return home and decide that the music in the movie did not sound as good as the same music played on their home system.

pauln,

thanks for the quote...

its heartening to know that ou cheaper klipsch are well at par with crazily priced systems out there. and then klipsch again beats the shh.... out of a number of speakers when it comes to great dynamics , loudness,and clarity with loudness.

though not as detailed perhaps as the wilson duette or the fostex monitor speakers that i have heard so far, the klipsch do excel in overall range of dynamics and at keeps up its quality of sound as far as the amplifier affords.

the RF3s that i own so far ,have been very nice sounding . and i was surprised even more when i heard the KG.5 speakers.

they are surprisingly good at the size that they have and the kind of sound they produce.

and if i hide em behind a curtain or something and audition some friend , they wouldnt say its a smallish speaker .

price does bring us quality , but then again careful matching with the mega dollar speakers to sound at their best is imminent , otherwise the sound goes to the dogs.[:P]

im happy for what PWKs engineering has brought for us at such an affordable price.thanks paul.

[:D]

Should cost be considered as the MSRP, or the actual cost of building the speaker? Most of these high dollar systems have more invested in the aesthetics than actual performance. But that works just fine considering the high dollar crowd is usually more interested in aesthetics and rarity of the purchase. I personally ignore price and strictly look for certain performance criteria....and ironically I always end up back at Klipsch.

Well said all. YAYYYYY!!!!! WE ALL OWN KLIPSCH SPEAKERS YYAAYYYYY!!!, except that one dude who is always holding a cup of coffee has those electrostatic monstrosities, what a lamo! YEAH WE WIN!!! Lets pat each other on the back, notice to Coytee, I said back, not backside. Now lets Boogie!